Where do I start?

GoldenMotor.com

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Hello Im a newbie that recently got a 59' schwinn and took it out for a ride the other day and came back wishing I had an engine on my bike. Well after alittle research I ended up here and I'm already excited.dance1 First off will a motor work on my type of bike? If so what kind of options of motors do I have, in regards to cc and price gas/electric, also how fast will it go? I live in Huntington Beach which is surfing mecca right next to people riding bikes but I have yet to see a motorized bike around here, could there be legality issues with that? Bascially what do I need to get rolling....

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's a perfect bike for it. there's a bunch of them around here, and i'm sure those guys will chime in...

i'm in costa mesa, and have ridden thru HB plenty-o-times with no hassles. rode right down main street alongside cops in the middle of summer, and just waved at them.

for some reason, people have heard horror stories about the cops in all the beach cities around here, but my experience doesn't confirm that. they're all cool to me.

i used to get in waaay more trouble on my skateboard at the beach.

oh, and after a few posts, like 3 or 4, then you can add pics and links...

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
I haven't done anything to the bike, and I really have no clue what to do but im sure with proper instructions and the help I will get from this board I should be able to get it done no problem, well actually I should just stop at done bc im sure im gonna end up with some problems. But I have no welding skills nor do I know where to get a welder from. It would be pretty cool to actually make the tank on the bike functional but it has rivets that hold it together and then again I wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That bike will never work, Get rid of it immediately... call me, I'll come and take it off your hands so you won't have to worry about it...:)
Actually, in all honesty, you have the basis for an awsome motorized bicycle. The old Schwinns are much sought after by experienced builders due to their strong frames.
The cruiser style might require a custom front motor mount depending upon the kit you ultimately purchase. Some of them are now offered with extended mounts because of the growing popularity of the cruiser frames. Keep reading here and don't hesitate to ask questions. As for bolt-on. Yes, a motor kit can be completely bolted in place without drilling or welding. Check some of the builds in our pictures & video section for ideas. Good luck and I'm envious of that lovely old bike.
Tom

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
A 1958 Schwinn,no tank,sits in my front room. It is waiting for a engine mount and rear hub. The more I look the better I think a for stroke would look as a frame mount.
You have one nice bike.
Good luck with your build.
It's well worth it.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
if you know anyone that welds, you could take the tank in and see if they could more or less reproduce it.

like 2Door says, they're bolt in, and you will have to make a custom front mount, but if you have enough skills to install the motor, it ain't that hard to figure out. there's a few threads around here with different ideas. here's mine:http://motorbicycling.com/f26/how-i-made-extended-front-motor-13429.html

my bike's a 70 year old Colson, and i didn't do anything to it that can't be undone...oh, except for notching the chainguard... rats.

even the antique/vintage purists like my bike (they keep offering to buy it) so don't worry too much about collector's value. plus, you got a schwinn. it's not like they only made one of those...

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
That bike will never work, Get rid of it immediately... call me, I'll come and take it off your hands so you won't have to worry about it...:)
Only if you trade me for your car in your aviator!!!

if you know anyone that welds, you could take the tank in and see if they could more or less reproduce it.

like 2Door says, they're bolt in, and you will have to make a custom front mount, but if you have enough skills to install the motor, it ain't that hard to figure out. there's a few threads around here with different ideas. here's mine:http://motorbicycling.com/f26/how-i-made-extended-front-motor-13429.html

my bike's a 70 year old Colson, and i didn't do anything to it that can't be undone...oh, except for notching the chainguard... rats.

even the antique/vintage purists like my bike (they keep offering to buy it) so don't worry too much about collector's value. plus, you got a schwinn. it's not like they only made one of those...
Thanks for the input im def. gathering all this information to guide myself in the right direction. Im feeling better that I dont have to touch anything on the bike, and I think I have decided what company Im going to buy from. Everyone keeps talking about four stroke but I cant seem to find out who sells these. Also nobody commented on electric motors???

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
my personal preference, especially with a bike like yours, is a two stroke. it gives it that old-timey motorcycle look.

i'm not into four strokes at all. there's a few cool looking ones, but mostly they look like you've got a pressure washer strapped to your bike (my opinion;).)

electrics are nice and quiet, but from what i hear, they're costly and you don't get the range that a gas motor will get you.

just spend a while digging through this forum, and pretty much everything you want to know is here. if you can't find it, just ask.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Even if you had the money electric has a major disadvantage in that the battery dies much too quickly and I suspect they might be a little hefty. I agree with Bairdco the looks of the 2 stroke are so much better. Thats if you like the looks of a regular motorcycle.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

Why is this gorgeous ol' Schwinn out inna cold "general discussion" and not with it's friends an' peers in our Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles section? *shakes head*

I've moved this thread to it's rightful place, one that only surviving alla those hard, cruel years can getcha ;)

Welcome to the forum HBfisherman, that's gonna be one sweet first build :D

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Bringing this thread back to life, I have yet to install the motor as its been collecting dust. I did start this back in 2010 and got as far as installing the back sprocket. Fast forward to 2013 and here I am wanting to finish what I started. I bought a black flying horse 66cc from Bikeberry. This thing has been sitting, should I need to worry about anything? I remember what held me back was fabricating a front motor mount with a hockey puck like I seen someone here do, well to say the least it didn't get done. Do they make a motor mount that will make my install easy? Also, what would you guys suggest for mounting the tank, and where?

BROWNRIDER

Jul 28, 2012
Plymouth,MA
well if you are talking about the kit gas tank, then the only place i know is the top bar between the seat and the handlebars, I'm not sure if you can do it with the bike tank on but if you take it off then it would work, you should check the inside of the kit tank if it has been siting around for 3 yrs (for rust and debris), if there is rust then you can buy small steel punch out circles and put 2 handfuls in and sake it up for a good 10 minutes and the rust should be gone, then you can put some type of coating inside not sure what kind tho, ask at your local hardware store.
BR

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I suggest a behind the seat tank from either Taylar motor bikes or Sportsman Flyer, you can see mine from Pat at Sportsman Flyer on both my threads starting with "Ol Blue" under cruisers and next to last pic set on my thread "Blood Thursty" under vintage and board trackers, a little pricey but you'd be able to keep that beautiful Phantom tank in place plus the tank behind the seat gives it a little vintage and hot rod look to the bike.

HBfisherman

Jan 5, 2010
Huntington Beach
Great tips and ill look into that seat tank!

I think my main issue now is the front motor mount being too far from my frame, so I need to find some type of extension to alleviate that problem. I am sure there are extended mounts out there, anyone use one on a bike like mine?