Wheel Bearings V. Grease

GoldenMotor.com

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
so I am aware that the best grease for wheel bearings is the red heavy duty bearing grease for trucks, but I happen to have a tube of lithium grease. will this suffice?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I wouldn't rely on lithium. That's a little light for wheel bearing applications.

Save it for your car's door, hood and trunk latches.

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I also have something in my memory about lithium having 'water retaining' properties... but don't quote me.

I can not say enough good things about 'super web grease'. Man that stuff sticks, and stays. It's made by a company that makes a chain lube that I used to use. Buuut, it's a buck fifty an ounce.

In my opinion, marine bearing grease does just about anything you need a grease to do.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
You never want to use light grease on bearings. The heaviest, tackiest grease with the highest temp rating you can find, that's what you want. And you want to regrease it every few hundred miles. Especially the rear wheel bearings.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I also have something in my memory about lithium having 'water retaining' properties... but don't quote me.

I can not say enough good things about 'super web grease'. Man that stuff sticks, and stays. It's made by a company that makes a chain lube that I used to use. Buuut, it's a buck fifty an ounce.

In my opinion, marine bearing grease does just about anything you need a grease to do.
Yeah Trey, I just answered a guy that wanted to know if he should grease his bucking bar and bearing before installing, and what kind of grease to use. I told him about some boat trailer marine wheel bearing grease that a friend left in my shop. BEST CRAP I EVER USED. Good and sticky, Sheds water, Stays where ya put it.
fatdaddy.usflg

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
You should also invest in a cone wrench. It will make adjusting those bearings much easier.
having done the job without a cone wrench I concur.
as do my sore wrist and needlenosed pliers...

is there a good reason why cones don't just have normal hex-bolt heads on them? or is it just a good way to sell thin wrenches to cycling enthusiasts?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A simple hole in the center of the hub . While you have it apart. Something like 1/8 inche. With this achieved later on it's more simple to butt up a grease gun to it later. Pump the whole hub full of grease again watching the old grease squirt out from the bearings. Done it like this for years in the peddling days.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Of course, sealed bearings eliminate the need to grease or adjust your hub, that could also be an option to consider

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
When it comes to cone wrenches, I just use a old pair of 15mm wrenches and grind them down on my grinder. Works well for me.
Yup Dave, Been making my own cone wrenches like that for years. works well for me too. And ya almost cant get by without them.
fatdaddy.usflg

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Of course, sealed bearings eliminate the need to grease or adjust your hub, that could also be an option to consider
That was the idea of ceramic bearings because folks swore water ruined any steel ones. Ceramic did not proove cost effective in the long run IMHO however. On my sealed bearings I have to take the hub apart remove the seal with a sharp pick tool. Smoosh as much grease in as possible and put the seal back on. Don't trust that the manufacture packed those full of grease righteously ether. Pull many a seal on a new bearing to be disappointed....

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
My front hub is an old dirt bike drum, those bearings don't come out, not sure about my rear hub but it's a moped hub and I'm fairly certain they're pressed in. I will check lateor, and if those bearings come out I'll grease them.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I popped one of the bearings out of my rear hub. Seal didn't want to come out and I didn't want to damage it. Also could see and feel grease around the edges of the seal. They're pretty decent quality, 6200 series. 10mm ID, not sure of the OD but they aren't very big. I'm just gonna trust that they'll be Ok.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I popped one of the bearings out of my rear hub. Seal didn't want to come out and I didn't want to damage it. Also could see and feel grease around the edges of the seal. They're pretty decent quality, 6200 series. 10mm ID, not sure of the OD but they aren't very big. I'm just gonna trust that they'll be Ok.
So the the bearings have black colored seals? Those come out easy peazy IME. I have to repack my sealed bearings on this bike every 900 miles or so for the rear wheel to say I am on top of them. Then again I am sporting about 13 hp on it. The bearings in the rear hub are just ordinary bicycle bearings. Wish it was a little more heavy duty.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I built my own wheels, moped hub in rear and dirt bike hub in front. So these are moped bearings in the rear, and I'm pushing 3 to 4 horses with my 79cc predator. 3 stock, but I've disconnected the governor, and I have a high performance exhaust and a 19mm mikuni carburetor for it, so maybe 4 with the upgrades.