Wheel Bearings and other high speed problems!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Just how legal, if at all, would you like to see the motorized bicycle go?

• Total voters

C.C. Flyer

Dec 23, 2012
Yuma,AZ. U.S.A.
Hi there! I am currently building an non-kit motorized bike, in the style of the old board track racers. Has anyone had any problems with their wheel bearings at the higher speeds? 40 mph and faster. If so, how did you address this issue?
C.C. Flyer Yuma,AZ.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure they're adjusted and lubricated correctly. 40 isn't asking too much from standard wheel bearings but the lube that comes in new bikes is questionable at best. You'll get various opinions on this but I disassemble and relubricate about twice a riding season. Proper bearing pre-load is also important. There are many good on-line tutorials on adjusting bike wheel bearings.

Tom

Tom

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Like 2 door said- make sure the bearings are well lubed and set correct and a bicycle hub should be ok.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
On my Felt build I had the spokes starting to turn black and greesy. Black goo starting to travel to my wheel and scheve, ect. Had a bike tech friend help me take the whole thing apart ( Shamano CB110 ) The bearings were fine. The 110's arent sealed bearing jobs so at motorized bicycle speeds you'll get "fling" Best to start by taking it apart prior to installing on bike and replaceing the POO lube that it comes with ( if new ) and replacing with a decent teflon or other very high quality greese.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I was told by a bike shop owner that new bikes are lubricated with a spray on grease at the facory that is clear so it doesn't ooze out and look messy. He also agreed that it isn't a very good grease and suggests that his customers bring their bikes back after a few miles for a tune up and they relube the bearings with real grease. Of course they charge for the "tune up".

I had to wonder why they didn't do that to all their bikes before they sold them but that's probably expecting too much, profit margins being what they are.

Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
the stock grease i've seen in just about every new hub seems to be very close to vaseline. every so often you find white lithium grease.

neither of these are very good for constant high speeds.

the best grease i've found for hubs is "red and tacky" wheel bearing grease. it's thick and lasts a long time.

i've got a bike i ride over 40mph on a daily basis, with a shimano cb110 coaster hub and i clean and grease it every three months or so, and after 3 years it's still not showing any abnormal wear in the bearings or races.

if you use a high quality sealed bearing hub, a lot of them have the best bearings known to man in them.

C.C. Flyer

Dec 23, 2012
Yuma,AZ. U.S.A.
By word of "youtube", the Phoenix,Az. city cops have been treating motorized bicycles as mopeds. And have been handing out some rather expensive tickets, from what little research I have. I have always been a hands on citizen and since I am a newbie to the motorized bike scene, I wanted to get other riders opinon on the matter. So I posted the very imformal poll just to "hear" what the community has to say. Live and learn!

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
By word of "youtube", the Phoenix,Az. city cops have been treating motorized bicycles as mopeds. And have been handing out some rather expensive tickets, from what little research I have. I have always been a hands on citizen and since I am a newbie to the motorized bike scene, I wanted to get other riders opinon on the matter. So I posted the very imformal poll just to "hear" what the community has to say. Live and learn!
My guess is 99% of them are going beyond the 20mph speed limit thats why they are getting ticketed.

Arizona has a state law regarding motorized bicycles; title 28 section 2516

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02516.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

As far as I know Phoenix has not made a ordinance keeping motorized bicycles off Phoenix streets. If these guys are not speeding, then they have broken no laws and need to fight it in court using 28-2516.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
for years on bikes and stuff Ive tried to always use automobile cv joint grease...its made for extreme use and isnt all that thick. usually comes in a small back with cv joints and alot of mechanics have some around.

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
for years I have always used Mobil1 full synthetic bearing grease it's bright pink. A good hot water and dish soap rinsing of all the greasy parts get em clean, good and dry, then put a good amount of grease in the parts and just about don't have to pull it apart for quite some time depending on how often you ride. Mobile1 bearing grease is available in a top lid can, and a tube for grease gun(hint: nipple on hub) small and large tubes aswell. Works super great and I haven't had any problems either. Hope this helps.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I machined my rear hub to accept 5 main bearings. 3 on the engine chain side, two on the other. I have a hard tail frame, so the bearings get the brunt of the abuse. No problems in over thousands of miles so far.