What is the best wheel

GoldenMotor.com

blankityblank

Jun 28, 2010
NorCal
I have a raw motor mounted to a schwinn clearwater frame and am using a clamshell adaptor from pirate cycles. The spokes on my rear wheel are getting bent, (I admit it is a cheap wheel). I was wondering what a better rear wheel would be and what would work with that bike, thanks.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
worksman wheels have a Shimano CB-E110.

some of the cheaper HD wheels have shimano coasters, some have KTs, some have hi-stops, etc.

check bikepartsusa.com or bikeworldusa.com, and if they don't specify what hub, call 'em and ask.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Here's what I'd do....and it won't be cheap.

Take the bike to a bike shop that builds custom wheels and tell them what you are using the bike for.

Ask them to set up your rear hub with a tandem rim or a downhill rim with heavy gauge spokes.

Hand built wheels last way longer then machine built wheels if they are tensioned correctly.

blankityblank

Jun 28, 2010
NorCal
my tire now is 26x1.95 can I switch to a 26x2.125 and also I currently have calliper brakes will coaster brakes work or would I have to spend more money. I would prefer not to switch hub-sizes any other sites I could check out? Thanks for all your help folks.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I'm at a loss as to where to find a built rim for a multi-speed wheel. You may have to see if your LBS can either re-lace it with heavier spokes or suggest something with the same hub but heavier duty.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's all up to the hub diameter whether or not it will work with your adapter. and the only way to find out is to check it with a micrometer, which i doubt most online places would be willing to do.

another option would be to find out what kind of hub they use, then find one at your local bike shop and mic it yourself, or maybe shoot off an email to the hub manufacturer and ask them for the dimensions.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Something I did was to get a disk brake rear wheel and mount a kings adapter. (I actually built the wheel but that's not the point) It was almost as expensive for the wheel as I paid for the motor but, it was something I have never regretted.
My chain tension is equal all the way around and I never have to worry about the rear wheel. One thing I did change was to replace the weird type of bolts that came with the disk hub and replace them with standard allen type. I also put lock tight on the hub (blue not red) to keep the bolts in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

blankityblank

Jun 28, 2010
NorCal
Thanks for your help guys, I don't think I am asking the right questions though. Off to the bike shop today. Thanks again though, I will post the outcome if anyone cares.