What is OPTI-2

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'm a more than a little sceptical that the same company that brought us "rebuild in a can" engine restorer for cars, and varies other gimmicks, now makes the best oil in the world. Their other marketing failures are mostly forgotten. My research has found that it is in fact a mineral based oil with a "bright" package to reduce friction. I shy away when they claim "molecule" movment to restructure and smooth out the engine's machining errors.

Last edited:

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
I'm a more than a little sceptical that the same company that brought us "rebuild in a can" engine restorer for cars, and varies other gimmicks, now makes the best oil in the world. Their other marketing failures are mostly forgotten. My research has found that it is in fact a mineral based oil with a "bright" package to reduce friction. I shy away when they claim "molecule" movment to restructure and smooth out the engine's machining errors.
Well "gimmick" or not, you can't argue the fact that many, MANY people have ran and continue to run this oil with excellent results. It just seems weird that people who continue to claim this stuff is snake oil, are the same one's who never have tried it.

I guess this means that TORO have also fallen for this gimmick as well. As they actually will increase there small engine warranty by a whole year, just by using opti-2 exclusively, whats the old adage " Try it you'll like it "

Peace, James

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
I have used it but switched back to a regular synthetic motorcycle oil . I think the extra oil in the gas mix helps seal the rings better . I think the pros to it are a much cleaner exhaust that is better for the environment . I have read on the internet where people have tried it in there two stroke motorcycles and have had seizures with it . I myself question the high rpm and high load lubricating quality of such a lean mix.

I am sure in garden equipment it is great stuff and has it's place . But in something with a real load on it and a guy with a hand full of throttle every chance he gets . I feel much safer with a oil designed for that purpose. This is just my opinion take it for what it is . I know there are lots of people on here using it and are happy with it . Give it a try and see how it works for you .

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I bought a large Toro Lawn tractor 12-14 years ago and at that time OPTI was the garentor andwould extend the warrantee for a year after the Toro warrantee ran out. The problem was that we tried to break it in with it and wiped out the cam in the first twenty minutes. Toro rebuilt the engine and we wiped out the cam again. The Co-op I bought it through then installed a new motor and broke it in with a high grade automotive oil with out an additive. I used that tractor in Hawaii on the 11 acre parcel I own mowing twice a week on average the whole piece. About 8-9 hours each mowing.
Never had a problem. Two failures with Opti package. I never used it again and have had no failures. That was not opti-2 however.
One of their other products they used to sell on late night infomercials where they'd put inthe additive, run the engine for 10 minutes, then drain the oil out that engine and another and run them until they quit. I never saw any OEM buy the stuff, or recomend it either. I've not seen any 2-stroke manufacturer recomend opti-2 either, and the small engine repair shop down the road from me warned me NOT to use it.
BTW. Have you done the research on the negatives for this company? Most of all the complaints are about not standing behind the "so-called" warrantee when the engines failed.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is an always informative and lively discussion. Just asking here that we keep it a discussion among friends.

Some amazing experience and knowledge here. In this thread alone, there is thousands of hrs of experience. Is really great we can all enjoy and use that kind of knowledge.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I like the Opti2 in my MB's and 2 smoker lawn equipment, never had anything but great results in every way, but at the same time I'm not so sure I would ever use it in an extrememly high performance machine like an old Yamaha RD350 ect., I would probably go with an Amsoil product for that, or just another proven high grade conventional oil, my late uncle who owned a Yamaha Dealership, built and raced 2 stroke & 4 stroke motorcycles ran nothing but Castrol Products and would run nothing else, he seen first place many many times and swore by the protection and performance of anything Castrol made.

I like Opti2 in my MB's because it has proven to work great for me, and because it provide a mix with minimal smoke and smell, same for my weed wackers and chain saws, they all run great on it.

If it works good and someone is happy with it, thats all that matters me I like lots of the stuff I've tried.

Peace, Map

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have never used opti 2. Thought about it a lot, but cant afford it since im not working. I do personally believe that it is ok for small engines. of course it wont work in a motorcycle engine, because its simply not designed for high rpm use. thats what they make opti max for. however, our engines are no motorcycle engines. in truth, these engines do not produce many more rpms than the "garden equipment" that opti 2 was actually designed for. lawn mowers, chain saws, weedwackers, leaf blowers, all are within the same performance range as a stock HT engine. so, opti 2 should work fine for our engines.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Works great in mine and I run my HT WOT that 35-40mph for up to 10+ miles at a time and no failures yet, one bike with 1500+ miles probably turning 7000+ RPM's the majority of the way.

yep good stuff in the bike engines.

I have never used opti 2. Thought about it a lot, but cant afford it since im not working. I do personally believe that it is ok for small engines. of course it wont work in a motorcycle engine, because its simply not designed for high rpm use. thats what they make opti max for. however, our engines are no motorcycle engines. in truth, these engines do not produce many more rpms than the "garden equipment" that opti 2 was actually designed for. lawn mowers, chain saws, weedwackers, leaf blowers, all are within the same performance range as a stock HT engine. so, opti 2 should work fine for our engines.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The subject of Opti-2 has been beat to death here so I didn't want to start another thread but I wanted to tell this story:

My computer has four cooling fans; three small ones, about three inch diameter and one main fan with a six inch blade (impeller). The big one started to make a noise, bad bearings, and I couldn't find an exact replacement and didn't want to start drilling holes, etc. so I decided to see if I could lubricate the noisy bearing. I removed the fan, peeled off the little sticker in the center of the impeller and removed a tiny snap ring. The blade pulled off and revealed the bearings. (bushings actually) I used a toothpick and dripped one drop of some light, probably 20W machine oil in and reassembled everything. The fan was quiet and I was happy. It only lasted a few days then the fan started making noise again. This time I used Opti-2 instead of plain old oil. Reassembled and again the fan was quiet.

That was two months ago today. The fan hasn't made a sound and my computer is typically on for a minimum of 12 to 14 hours a day and some days 24 because I forgot to shut it down the night before.

Now I'm looking for other uses for Opti around the house. Let's see, there's that squeaky door hinge, the oven door springs squeak too and the garage door is starting to get noisy. :)

Tom

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Maint. I was thinking the same thing. Is how we will all get rich. Put it in spray form.

"Tom's MB 40" (So luberisious, its hard to keep in the can)

Tom, I will start on the biz plan and marketing strategy.

Sing to the Roto-Rooter jingle; ...hmmm. some thing "Just use MB 40 and..." OK, I got nuton.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It won't be long before someone says it's not good for computer fans and they will never try it. :)

By the way, my previous post is the absolute truth. I'm not making it up.

Tom

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, snork!!! We will put it right on the label.

"Tom's MB 40

Lubes computer fans
Loosens locking mechanism on ladders
Frees sticky snow blower throttle cable
Lubricates stuck bolts on diving boards
Lubricates shower door rollers
Lubricates key holes
Lubricates trunk latch
Lubricates valves on fire trucks
Lubricates license plate bolts and screws
Keeps tire jack working smoothly
Lubricates sunroof crank
Lubricates child safety seat buckles
Lubricates socket wrenches......"

(this one cracked me up; "Lubricates stuck bolts on diving boards")

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
"Helps you to lose weight while increasing stamina. Your wife will thank you!"

Can you say "infomercial?" We are gonna get rich! (or poor trying)