What engine is best for a replica board track racer?

GoldenMotor.com

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
Not kidding. I read some really good reviews of them. I still was considering the tank, frame combo from Silver State. I just assumed I have no other choice as far as frames that are being somewhat mass produced. I also assume, from your question, that you don't like something about that set up? If so, please elaborate.
Thanks,
Jack
drn2

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The engine are poorly assembled, most often the engines are older types with bushing's instead of bearings, low quality material, ever so often someone gets a good one but not often, get one if you truly believe it's quality but do some R & D on this forum first and 89.9 precent of people will tell you not to get it, if you are getting it for a dirt ball price don't be deceived THEY'RE CRAP !!!

2 stroke Engines> PK69.5/80cc< you can't go wrong! you will almost never hear of someone getting a bad PK 80 and most performance parts are for Grubee and PK 80's ( Power King)

If you look to the right of this thread you'll find a vender named DAX they re-make a fantastic! 2 Stroke F-80 at a decent price with Balanced crank and other HIGH QUALITY parts again no one complains about their product either.

Their 4 strokes are a Dammnn! Good ! price and they stand behind the merchandize and $$ you spend, A real honest vender

Attachments

Last edited:

DreamMachine

Aug 11, 2013
Towanda, Pa.
Thanks Truckd! Keep the suggestions coming as I know you guys are probably more familiar with these replica builds than anyone. As far as the engine you spoke of in your thread above. I was just thinking 2 stroke might possibly have more power? What do you think sounds better, 2 stroke or 4 ? I have heard, on motorcycles anyway, that if you wrap the pipes with the pipe tape it gives them a better sound. Not sure how true that is? Thanks as always! Jack

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The only reason for wrapping the pipes is so you don't burn yer leg has nothing to do with the sound either a restricted or non restricted pipe will make a sound difference.

The Chinese two strokes are great for mods and if tore down out of the box ported and some other mods added will give you a nice engine.

It sounds like you need a 4 stroke for yer build and again you can find a Huasheng from a majority of the venders on either side of this page.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I'm kinda fond of this type engine for the btr replica look.
A bit more costly then the standard motors available, even if you do the work yourself. But its got a great look good power and lots of torque

Attachments

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I kind of thought that's what it was, but have never seen one 'live'. I do remember Rick talking about them at one time. Has anybody done one?
SB
I don’t know of any builds?

I do know Rick had some engines for sell a couple of years ago, perhaps someone will step up...?.

It’s a “T” head with exhaust and intake at oppose sides and a nice round crank case. It looks more like a antique motorcycle engine than any thing out there less a actual authentic MC motor...

I've never seen one in person and I'm not sure how large they are...? But with their power ratings nearly at 8HP they must be pretty good sized.

-Kirk

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
SB, Its a gravely model L. A mix of patina and grease. When I put unit up for storage I coat everything important with grease.
Im doing a build with one a copy of a 1909 HD, Im matching one up to a 2 speed HD tranny from the early 19 teens ( I stole off of ebay for 200$ plus shipping from a man in Russia of all places.)
Mr. B, The engine pictured is rated @ 6.6 hp @ 1600 rpm. A real torque monster. it's 29 CID this one has an old bendix carb. They take a bit of modification so they can be used as a MC engine. As anyone with a little imagination can see tho they have that look

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Cool Rick!

I know there are some issues (for one, plugging a couple of large crank case holes) to make one of those monsters work...

Please start a thread with all the gory details!

I’m sure you’ll solve all the problems- And with style.

-Kirk

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Looking forward to this build. Wonder how one would work with my 1920's Hurst 3 speed? It was behind a 200cc Villiers originally. Comes with kick start to make things easier if you can kick start an engine like that.

Steve.