What do you guys think about these sprockets?

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So I am going to be replacing the sprocket on my bike since I am currently going to true a new-ish rim and hub that got warped last week. I would like to use a sprocket that attaches directly to the hub because lets face it, that's awesome. Plus I am not a fan of the current rag-joint setup that attaches onto the spokes. My freewheel hub is only a couple months old but when I went to manic mechanic for the hub sprocket adapter, I found that my hub will most likely not work because the space between the spokes and level cylinder is over 1/4". After the $60 for the hub adapter, new freewheel hub, then paying some to spoke and true it to the rim I would be looking at a lot of money gone.

I found these two that may work and wanted your guys' opinion on them. I will have a professional bike shop true a rim around the hubs these come with but they should save me a lot of money over the manic mechanic route. (Since I'd have to buy their adapter AND a new hub)

motor motorized engine bike kit 36T sprocket axle | eBay

80cc motor bike - 44 t sprocket hub/axel w drum brake | eBay

Let me know what ya think!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I dont know about saving any money.. If you got a good set of rims already Id just drop the coin on a hub adapter and sprocket. Relacing gets pricey if you are not doing it yourself, spokes will prob cost you a buck each from the shop, build the wheel and true it prob $ 50 or so. And the cost of the new hub, and that is a crappy band brake that will probabally work less efficient than a coaster.

EDIT;
Just checked Pirates site..this is a great deal right here. New HDwheel sprocket and adapter for under 100.00. 26" CB-110 Wheel and sprocket adapter. (Pick your Sprocket)

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
for the first one, you'll need a pull start, since it's a freewheel. it's also a big piece of junk. i bought one and never used it because the quality of the hub, axle, bearings, freewheel... basically the entire thing is so bad, i wouldn't trust it on any of my bikes. the axle nuts aren't even cut straight. when you thread them on they wobble from side to side.

in fact, if you're near orange county, i'll give you the piece of crap for free.

the second one is not much better. never wasted my money on one, but i've seen them, and the brake is less than sufficient, meaning it ain't gonna stop you too well. all the hardware in both of them is really cheesy, so if you do decide to get one, i'd recommend replacing the bolts holding the sprocket on, the axles, and the axle nuts.

not to mention that they both look really lousy. they both have the kind of finish and workmanship that you can notice from 20 feet away as being cheap.

your can't go wrong with a sprocket adapter. easy to use, trouble-free, and no matter which you buy, it looks and works like the quality piece it is. you can buy a heavy duty wheel with a shimano coasterbrake and an adapter for less than the cost of lacing one of those cheap hubs into a wheel with heavy duty spokes.

but that's just my opinion...:)

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
just learn to lase and true your own wheels friends and if you don't have a bucket of loss nuts bolt axles bearings clamps spokes pedals and stuff why not?

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

You may want to check Performance Bike Shop or Bike Nashbar (both online and I think Performance even has a bunch of retail stores to look at ).

They have a large variety of wheelsets available.....We have a local Performance Bike Shop and I think they run a special on Tuesday afternoons..You can get a pretty decent disc brake hub rear wheel for about $60 (as far as quality , the hubs in the wheelset is of better quality than the ones you listed) PLUS you can direct bolt a hub to the disc brake hub.

Hope this helps.

Andrew