Well oiled chain, what a difference!

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I just got my first motorized bike together a couple of weeks ago and I've been working out the bugs as I've been riding it. I keep looking for ways to make it run smoother, better and more enjoyable. I had a constant "popping" from what I thought was the chain due to either too much slack, too tight or, too close to the frame. None of those changes seemed to help so, I was starting to fear that the bearings might be going in the rear wheel. I got looking closer at the chain and noticed that there were a few links that were stiff to move and some were actually staying angled from going around the sprockets. They weren't straightening out between sprockets. So, I decided that I would oil the chain with some air tool oil that I had laying around. I started at the master link and oiled each link's joint with just a drop or two and let it soak in. Time consuming, but thorough. I took it out for a ride and you could tell instantly that it helped. By the time I got back from my 1.5 mile ride, the difference was AMAZING! It runs so smooth now! I was having a lot of chain slap when I pulled in on the clutch going down hills, now, there's just a slight buzz as the chain moves around the idler pulley. I always wondered how everyone was running with such slack in their chains and it wasn't slapping all over the place. Now, I know. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and, sure, I KNEW that chains needed oiling but, being my first motorized bike, I didn't put so much importance into it as I do now. The difference is well, amazing! Hopefully this helps someone else out. I've got some pearly wide whites on my bike and I had to clean them off after my ride, but for the difference that it made in my bike, it's well worth it!

XFired

Dec 29, 2009
Waterloo Ontario
You know,I think this is the first post on oiling the chain,I agree with you 100%,it does make all the difference in the world....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've had the same problem with many chains! What I do (before oiling) is use a utility knife & force the blade between the stuck links to pry them apart just a bit. It works very well!! (^)

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Thanks for the tip Venice. So, is that typically for the china-based kits that we play with or are you seeing that on a variety of chains? Most of the stuff that I play with doesn't have chains, just got into that recently with this build.

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
I used to race mountain bikes, and a racing friend turned me on to this stuff called "White Lightning" - it's a teflon lubricant that dries on your chain and doesn't leave an oily residue. White Lightning I've been consistently impressed with the chain lubrication as well as the mud-shedding ability of this stuff. Just spray your drivetrain with a waterhose after a race and all the muck comes right off.

If you start with a clean chain and sprockets and then use this stuff regularly, your chain will be very quiet and you won't get that black gunk all over your hands when you touch it.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
hm no black gunk? well i dont know about that newfangled spray you speak of..... but i do know that spraying the chain with lube once a week liberally makes it happy. my chain is gummed in black gunk, so much that when i lube it it flings everywhere! lol another little tip, is to keep an eye on your large sprocket, look at the teeth to make sure they remain pointy. if they are getting fishhooked its time to replace your chain and sprocket :)

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I used to race mountain bikes, and a racing friend turned me on to this stuff called "White Lightning" - it's a teflon lubricant that dries on your chain and doesn't leave an oily residue. White Lightning I've been consistently impressed with the chain lubrication as well as the mud-shedding ability of this stuff. Just spray your drivetrain with a waterhose after a race and all the muck comes right off.

If you start with a clean chain and sprockets and then use this stuff regularly, your chain will be very quiet and you won't get that black gunk all over your hands when you touch it.
I Have used this stuff for years on my road bikes and it is good.
Elmo

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Pretty much only on the china kit chains.
right? i've never seen chains so poor in quality in 16 yrs or wrenchin bikes. I'm used to working with regina chains and 200 dollar chains so i guess theres no comparing the 2 lol and yes a well oiled chain is a happy one. I mostly use Maxima chain wax..

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I was in a hurry to ride the other week & wanted to oil my chain, so I grabbed the WD40 & sprayed it good. Lubed the chain & the whole rear of my bike as I rode. I knew that would happen when I sprayed it. Well the back of my bike won't rust. :)
Jay

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ah im gonna beat everyone to it
WD 40 IS NOT CHAIN LUBE! in fact, its the total opposite! it's a drier/degreaser, and thus wont do anything to prolong the life of a chain.

you need to pick up something like LPS or light oil. **** motor oil would be better than WD40 ;)

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
ah im gonna beat everyone to it
WD 40 IS NOT CHAIN LUBE! in fact, its the total opposite! it's a drier/degreaser, and thus wont do anything to prolong the life of a chain.

you need to pick up something like LPS or light oil. **** motor oil would be better than WD40 ;)
It's true what you say. I used motor oil back when I had Harleys. My Whizzers are belt driven. I built this bike last May & it's chain driven. I'm thinking about changing it over to belt too.

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona

White Lightning! I havent heard that name in years! I used to use that on my 20 in bike almost 30 years ago! Great stuff, no mess and good lubricating properties, I will be on the hunt for it again. I used to get it at my schwinn dealer.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been having very good luck with chainsaw, bar and chain oil. It's thick and sticky, doesn't sling off as easily as lighter lubricants and doesn't attract as much road dirt and crud. Seems to run smoother and quieter too. Has anyone else tried it?
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I have 2door and I do like it, I'd still be usin' it if I had any lol (don't do the wood heat anymore FTW).

General rule of thumb that's served me well to reduce the amount of maintenance/cleaning/re-oiling the chain needs: Dry environment = dry lube (such as the waxy ones), wet environment = wet lube (the various oils).

The theory being that while the oil ones do penetrate a bit better, they also collect and retain all sortsa dust and grit. That being said I've used both in both conditions with great success - the only difference being how often I need apply them.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Just boought some White Lightning at the Schwinn store. I'm going to see how that does. I'd like to find something that doesn't muck up my wide white sidewalls. I'm just going to pull the chain and clean it, then use this stuff. Hope it's all that I hear it is. I'll let you all know.

chrome

Jan 10, 2010
manila, philippines
@ Motorbike Wanabe - Thanks for starting this thread! Like you, I also was hearing "pops" the first and only time I've taken my new motorbike for a run and I thought that the popping was produced if I release the clutch abruptly. Next step, OIL! By the way, has anyone tried using silicon grease to lube their chains?