Weed Wacker Revisited.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a question for cannonball or anyone else:::: Do I really need to prime the carb if I'm going to drag start it. If not then the carb won't need the primer bulb replaced. It will just need to be cleaned and the seperate primer bypassed.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Just like CB2 said, Deacon... priming, and a choke, are a mere convenience for starting and cold running til it gets up to operating temp.

If you are able to pedal, and begin at least the first minute or so of your journey downhill, or at least on level ground, there would be no need for a richening circuit, as long as you are willing to pedal a tad, or take it ez for just a bit.

Nice to dump a fat mix in there with the extra oil when it's cold, though.
Not quite a factor on a well run in engine that is already loosened up.

With your experience, you'll be able to tell when the engine is ready to work.

Whew! over 100F in my garage... wish I was out in the wind like you !
Gotta tend to the garden in the morning, then it's flat smokin' during the day, when it cools down I gotta go back to tending the garden again!
Maybe I take the swamp cooler off the house and put it in the garage. :)
Best
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
good luck its hot as the devils back room here as well. I plan to use the choke just like I did with the China Kit bike. Usually the primer bulb is a wreck and i spend $7.50 for the bulb in the chainsaw bike just to get it started. I have a primer bulb on the ryobi bike that I might just by pass so taht I can use it to start engines that aren't mounted if I need to do that. I like my systems to be nice and flexible.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Wife and I were riding around the neighborhood and came across a guy with power lawn equip in his front yard for sale. I bought a craftsman 32cc blower for $25 bucks. I plan to drain the tank run out the gas and just let it sit till I need a new motor.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good to know. I emptied the gas and ran it until it was dry. I'm just going to store it for a while in case I need it. I also cut the valve off an old inner tube. I have one of those small tire compressors. The inside end of the valve will actually fit tight over the gas line of a carb from one of these things. I expect that I can run some cleaner into the line then blow it through with the compresser it will definitely blow through the carb I can feel it coming out when I put the valve over the fuel line. What do you think.

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California
Wife and I were riding around the neighborhood and came across a guy with power lawn equip in his front yard for sale. I bought a craftsman 32cc blower for $25 bucks.
Remind me to go yard sale-ing in your neighborhood some time.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I could always pull them but I'm not sure how these small mr fix its do it but they seem to get them working without kits.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I put this in the tavern as well but it is really as much for here as there. This morning my rear coaster wheel hung up. The bearings messed up. With a friction drive bike it is just pick up a wheel from the thrift store and switch them out. Any you are back on the road. You got to love the simplicity of it.

Oh the used 20" bike cost me ten bucks. I got two good wheels and a frame as well. I might pass the frame on to the scrappers. Then again I might just build that experimental bike I kind of want. All i have to do is go to a yard sale and find a lil princess bike to steal the wheels from.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
Omg the welding story and fire reminded me... When i started welding with a wally world campsfield hausam 110 welder building a golf cart framed atv with a 250 cc bike engine...

I didnt do leaf blowing because I was anxious to get to finishing up the welding on it to get the motor housed properly... I welded for a few hours and grinded to get everything lined up pefectly and looking good..

Went in the house for the night and about 2 am the fire company pager went off***( I was a volunteer fire fighter with the company that got called out because part of my yard was on fire.)

Anyhows, for the next month I had to deal with the guys at the fire company busting my balls and making jokes. My neighbor would get out his hose and unreel it to get to my shed if I was welding and My wife bought this huge A,B,C< fire extinguisher she kept at the rear door and insisted that I hang it there so she could unbuckle it and Use it in the event that my hobby caused a forrest fire.

hangs head... Even till this day one of my fire buddies brought that up again.. ( wait till he need some of my Air pack again in the middle of a fire...)

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
On the primer bulb... You can use any primer bulb from any weed wacker.. some have a thicker flange at the bottom.. I took one from a 21cc feather lite for my 26cc homelite then just added a O-ring that was the same size as the bulb to seal it proper.. Ive even in times of need, took a surgical glove finger and put it over the decaying primer bulb for a temp fix to give me about three four start ups maybe even more.. latex and gas dont mix but a rubber kitchen glove finger.. well that will last a year.

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
The rubber kitchen glove for subbing has gotten me through minimum of a year for a primer bulb quick fix. Last i bought they cost 1.00$ at the dollar store. has ten fingers to last me more then enough time and though I cant see what fuel is in it I can feel it when i primed it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
best I could tell the primer just sucked gas through the carp dump some in and sending the surplus to the take./ So the syringe was an easy fix,

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
yeah thats the basic of it but with a bad primer bulb your also allowing more air into the carb and intake thus leaning out the mixture and possibly causing the dreaded piston freeze in the cylinder where the motor then becomes JUNK> Worthy of a recycle center for the sluminimun but useless as a garden knome or a drive engine for your builds.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The thing I love most about the weed whacker bike is it's simplicity. I get the stoopids now and then and yesterday I did again. I tried to change the spindle without removing two bolts and taking the motor off the bike. In the end I had to do it anyway.

In the process of doing all that, I found out exactly how the motor is timed. Where the key is how to make it fit as it should. And it is one of those things only an idiot can screw up. Of course I have a motor that is pretty much junk that I sheered the key off. Not the one I am using now, but that first one I bought..

Anyway I went down from a 1.5 inch OD roller, I measured it last night, to a roller just a hair under an inch in OD. I rode the bike last night and it is much slower but it still pulls the hills. I think the bike will do just fine since it isn't at all about speed with me. Yes I do notice the big difference in speed. It is substantial. I hope it will pul less strain on the engine at that diameter. I have no idea that it will, I just wanted to try it.