Want to build new bike

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I've been lurking here for some time. In my youth the Whizzer was the thing we all drooled over, most of us couldn't have afforded one if we sold our little brother. I don't think the Gypsys would have wanted mine anyway.
So as I approach maturity I want to build a Phoenix Bike Works frame with a Whizzer. I wish this State would let us license one as a Moped, but it's really a big question here over the 50CC bit.
My question to all of you, do I look for a Vintage Motor, a 300 is on E-bay, or find a newer bike to get all the parts from and get the problems fixed? The highest speed necessay to stay with traffic here is 45mph, with 35 and 40 speeds more normal. A speed of 45 would be useful for the 3 miles to town as it's a highway.
Thanks
Mike

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
The answer to you question might be a combo of both worlds. A 1999 or newer frame will have a the ability to be tagged and licensed. The 300 engine would be a wonderful fit on the newer frame. The only problem I see with that combo is the the charging system for the lights and horn.
It is an interesting combination though.

Jim

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I spent well over two days trying to get answers out of the WA State dept of licensing about "mopeds" and wheither a Whizzer would be considered one. I've even thought about building the Phoenix Bike with a EZM package, and seeing if somehow they'd tag the frame, as they do in car builds. Then I could build another bike with the 4stroke and go on to my Whizzer build. I was just curious about wheither there was any advantage to early/late Whizzer engines. As I mentioned in my opening post, I need to be able to run 45mph for a few miles as I live on a State Highway. I have an alternitive route with max speed limit of 40mph, but it adds 6 miles each way, not that I'd mind that much.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My 2006 modded NE-5 easily reaches 50mph. I really consider 45 the top speed and rarely keep it there for extended periods. The bike is comfortable, and feels like it could run forever @40, but when traffic allows I find myself enjoying the scenery at 35. I know Quenton has some bikes in the 60+ range(wow!) I dont think with the proper mods you would have any trouble with your 45mph stretch. The extra power in the real world is very uesful for hills(we have a lot) or accleration in the flats. I like the roller crank in the later Whizzer, but they are around for the earlier engines also. I have 3 other MBs of different designs and enjoy them all, but the Whizzer is the last one I would part with!

Hi Greybeard,

Considering how rare and expensive the "300" Whizzer motor is in todays market, I would suggest looking into a late model Whizzer and making all the upgrades needed.

Average price of a "300" motor would easily exceed the entire cost of a late model Whizzer, and still no lights! I just sold my last "300" motor, and don't have enough parts to build another. I can assembly another "J" and possibly a few more "H" motors, however their design makes it very difficult to reach speeds above 38 MPH.

The late model motor [after upgrade] will meet your speed requirements, whereas the vintage motors would require a large investment to equal the power of the new edition motor [and still fall short].

All Whizzers from 1999 to 2004 would REQUIRE upgrades, and sadly my inventory is depleted. I did get an email from a past customer, informing me of the availability of one of my "special" upgrade kits that he didn't use. Seems he sold the bike without the upgrade kit, and now wants to sell the kit [he wants $390.00 plus shipping].

If you locate a 2005 to 2009 NE motor, I can easily re-work and modify to meet your requirements [45 to 50 MPH].

If you want to discuss options in more detail, feel free to call me at 252-475-0406

Have fun,

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Thanks Quenton.
That's what I needed to know so I can start gathering parts. Keeping your phone # so we can get it done after I've obtained the pieces I'll need. I'm thinking seriosly about trying to "scam" DMV here as I've been told they assign a serial # to the frame. Using one of your EZM kits initially, and after they've assigned a #, repowering with the Whizzer. I'll use the EZM kit after to power a Worksman wheither or not I'm sucessful with the Phoenix Bike registration.
I'll be in touch soon.
Thanks Again for the reply.

Hi Greybeard,

You might also check with Phoenix bikes, as I understand they can supply a MSO with the frame, and would make it much easier to get it through the system. I don't know this to be a fact, but a simple phone call will supply you with the needed information.

Have fun,