Vintage projects: briggs powered vintage schwinn (think this belongs here)

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
And now what helps to inspire me on this build aside from the Cuban improvised bikes. First we got a 1904 Quadrant, check out that suspension, I want to do the same kind of suspension.

Here is a 1902 Indian camelhump!!!

I believe this is a 1926 Triumph, restored (not red originally I don't think) and it's a 2 stroke

And lastly, the charming 1924 Terrot with a spare spark plug on the down tube and a picnic basket on the rear rack!

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
The suspension on that Quadrant looks downright scary :)

I havent seen many of these bikes youve posted but i like where you are going with this build. Keep it coming

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
up until I saw them online or in my books I didn't know about them either. The quadrant is scary, but cool :D

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
So guys, it's been a LONG while since I posted on this thread, but don't think I haven't been working on the bike. I put in about 12 hours on the Carter Model N carburetor that I have from an old kohler. I sodablasted the entire thing inside and out and then polished the bowl. I re-drilled and tapped the shafts and used one size larger screws (the old threads were shot) and I got a 2" copper cap from a plumbing supply place and made it into an intake. I also picked up a cool copper badge with a detailed dog on it that I think I'll put on the engine shroud. Lastly I have a 1923 schrader brand tire gauge that I got for the sake of stocking my tool bag with cool old things. If it works that's great, but it's ok if it doesn't (though I'll try to make it work)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I love the badge. You said it was copper? I don't know if it would look better polished or with some oxide look to it, you know, sort of greenish.

Looking forward to some pix of the bike. Keep em coming.
Good luck.
Tom

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
yes, I've been debating the same thing too. I think I'm going to leave it in its darkish and tarnished finish. Peace :)
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
you sometimes find the carter Model N's on ebay for cheap, but the odds of stumbling on these engines are next to none. The K91 is very rare. The carb usually fetches more than100 bucks....Still, you can find some cool stuff if you look in the right places (^)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
you sometimes find the carter Model N's on ebay for cheap, but the odds of stumbling on these engines are next to none. The K91 is very rare. The carb usually fetches more than100 bucks....Still, you can find some cool stuff if you look in the right places (^)
How well I know have way to much allready,have been selling a lot at swapmeets. Thanks I will start diging......Curt

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Ok guys, here are some more pics. I forgot to share with you that I bought a really nice carbide. It came all the way from Estonia! With shipping it cost me $85 which really isn't too bad considering it needs 0 repairs other than cleaning to work. This Briggs engine really is great. Judging by how black the oil was coming out of it, the tiny metal shavings in the oil, the immaculate condition of the bearing faces, the cleanish valves, and the still perfect bore, I think this engine has only been run a few hours its whole life on the original oil from 1976. The odd thing about this engine is it is SO simple. There are NO bearings in here, just bearing faces machined into the metal. The camshaft and the crank are really solid and I feel like everything in here is just so well made (big difference from those darn HTs) There are literally fewer parts in this engine than in the carburetor. After about 3 or 4 hours and 12lbs of baking soda this is what I got out of it. I'll be painting next week when I'm on break. Lastly I have a nice little all metal and glass settling bowl from napa that will look great on this. The tank I got was indeed too big so I decided to get a smaller one today! http://www.ebay.com/itm/26097984730...iewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:3160&vxp=mtr