Vintage motorcycle engine

GoldenMotor.com

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno
I like to see that there are others out there who are looking forward (or back), and trying to find period looking motors to use on their bikes. An older looking bike with vintage styling, can be completely tarnished, in my opinion, by a straight out of the box, bolt on chinese tinker toy. Ingenuity and originality goes a long way in a crowd where everything looks the same. A dressed up up, or "antiqued" china motor isn't going to convince many, and at the end of the day, will you be satisfied with the same drivetrain as everyone else on the block? Keep searching, find something unique to set yourself apart. I'm building my second bike right now, maybe motorcycle really, and found the perfect powerplant for it. A bit pricey, yes. But the end result is worth the hassle! Best of luck!

Countach LP400

Dec 1, 2008
California
Wow, I wish I had the money to get one of those!

I had a look at the bike you made, and I am awestruck. It is exactly the kind of thing I am looking to build.

What did it cost to make, and how many hours did you invest, if you don't mind my asking?

I looked at some Lifan engines and they are quite appealing. I like that they have an included transmission. They sound great too, not as good as a Maytag, but definately acceptable.

I still like the old Maytags though....
Maybe I should just build 2 bikes, one with a Lifan and one with 2 Maytags!

Stupid question: All the Lifans I saw, except for yours, had horizontal cylinders. Is it possible to tilt the engine to rest vertically, and look better, or will that starve it of oil?

Last edited:

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno
Total cost on that red bike was probably around 2500, but I never kept good records, so I could be wrong. The hours are a different story altogether. But the majority of the time was spent researching and designing before actually building, fabbing, painting, etc.

The sound, I think changes alot with the exhaust as well. Mine is just straight exhaust out the motor, and actually isn't all that loud, especially for a 4 stroke. I'd like to hear how those Maytags sound though.

This is how my lifan sounds.
YouTube - Albitre motorcycle
As far as the mounting, I think the horizontal motors are the smaller ones, under 110cc or so. The motor I used is a 150cc. The 200 and 250 mount vertical as well.

Tom Bartlett

Jul 13, 2008
North Alabama
Great discussion, and like eDJ, I have been pondering ways to make the Happy Time engine appear more like a vintage engine. One suggestion is to build a "faux" crankcase, and at the same time modify the intake so the engine can be converted to an upright one. I am attaching two photos of my earlier attempts (not finished yet!). I have since removed all the black paint,and built the intake manifold. Still having fun in retirement.
Tom

Attachments

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Creative Engineering a/k/a Jim a/k/a The Manic Mechanic makes a very nice straight intake for level mounting.

INTAKE

Great work on the crankcase- it makes all he difference!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Listening To The Old Maytags And Stationary Engines, Reminds Me Of Wash Day At Grama`s 60 Yrs Ago. Flex Pipe Thru The Wash Room Wall, And Lots Of Smoke!! Lol. Also The Hercules Motor On The Windmill ( For Days When The Wind Did Not Show Up To Do Its Job ). The Live Stock Drank Lots Of Water, And A Steady Stream Of Cold Water To Keep The Milk Cool, Until The Milk Hauler Picked Up The Cans Of Milk. "as They Say; The Good Ole Days" = Lot Of Work, But You Did Not Have Trouble Going To Sleep At Nite. Ron . .. ..cvlt1

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The old washing machine engines have been of interest to me. I'm kicking around a Maytag 72 project- a small flat opposed twin.

YouTube - Hot Rod Maytag 72

I actually makes a bit less power, stock, than a Maytag 92 single....but its a twin for gosh sake. Just listen!

I have also thought about an old Harley 2 stroke. With their sort of rounded lines, they look pretty vintage. You may luck out and find a 50cc. They show up on ebay once in a while and have a 4 speed transmission. Of course, there is also the Harley Hummer 125cc and 165cc engines- still look vintage. Here are a couple of pics.

The first pic is a 125cc (older, harder to find). The Second is a 165cc which is easier to find. The third is the 50cc. Finally, there's always the Whizzer... (fourth pic).
although the slant head design doesn't do much for the china except I got more compression. I had struggled with where to have the plug forward or rearward. Rearward had made more since to me at the time. I see the engine here at the rear. My take was maybe better cooling at the exhaust port. On there set up maybe it advances the timing. Great picts thanks for sharing.

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
I recently went through the same situation you are describing. I looked for quite a while for a vintage looking engine. The best engine I found was from Timeless Motor Company

Timeless Motor Company/Classic Antique Vintage Street and Board Track Motorcycles

They have created a replica 1911 Harley Single, problem is it's $6,000.

I considered using a China Motor and making side plates and clutch/belt mechcanism to give it a vintage look, and I still may do that in the future.

I looked at the "Peashooter" era of boardtrack & speedway racers. I really loved the look of the large single cyclinder racers of this era. That's when I can upon trying to use the Honda GC160. I believe I will be able to create a vintage look by removing the shroud, having the fins turned off the flywheel, and possibly fabricate a "faux OHV head" to give it the height I'm looking for. I'm aware of the overheating potential by removing the shroud.

Here's what I hope to build a tribute too.

Mike

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Euro, Have You Posted Any Pics Of Your Morini Bike? I Bought A Morini Engine On Ebay. It Has Very Large Cooling Fins, But The Head Bolt Pattern Size Tells Me It Is 50cc. The Exhaust Hole (bore) Is 1 1/8". Am Thinking It Is The High Power Eng. Ron .cvlt1