Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,

That would outlast a car. I saw it on trailers that came into a company where I worked years ago but never thought of it as a covering.

More computer time to find a source near me. Excellent.

Steve.

Last edited:

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Here is a good write up about the Weymann bodies. I'm thinking about a wood frame body with luan plywood attached and covered with Naugahyde. Much like the covering used on Weymann bodies.
They stopped making the covering as the different E.P.A. laws came into effect due to the toxic materials used to coat the cloth material. Maybe a thin layer of upholstery batting under the Naugahyde to give it a bit of fullness would work.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...nn.htm&usg=AFQjCNGgFkyCDtXG1ykoQ7BckYjNt9kvpQ

Steve.
-------------------------------------------------------
It was fun as a kid to go up in a home made Piper Cub airplane that my dad's cousin had built. He was in the civil air patrol and also was certified to inspect aircraft. About the Cub's construction was with a cloth cover, wood, and I guess like these links, metal tubing. The second page link mentions things that might apply to ground based craft as well. Take a look.

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...ng/building-a-tube-and-fabric-airplane-part-1

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...ng/building-a-tube-and-fabric-airplane-part-2
----------------------------------------------------------
I'm going to suggest this stuff from scrapyards, it is designed to be tensioned and live outdoors.

http://www.nationwide-trailer-parts...29QD_Qp9vRorqddiDJnRrSsJiVEkx-0hs2xoCmxDw_wcB
------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello Steve,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]That article is much more informative and useful than one on Wikipedia! Weymann body wasn't just covering, but much more: from floors and seats to frame and covering... However, I wouldn't dare to try something like that: complicated design of frame and even more its construction and final realisation! [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So, as MT mentioned: something as covering light airplanes! Skin-over-frame: metal or wood or combination! Many decades ago, with my first wife I visited sport airfield near Belgrade with a few dozens of small Piper and Cessna airplane, and some less known East European – international aero-rally! I was surprised how small they are: narrow and simple cabins, with inside visible steel or wood frame and tinny covering... before that, I believed that they are much bigger, more luxurious and complicated...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]So, as Ludwig advised: to use cheaper “plastic-fabric”, as for trailers, or trucks, or verandas! Strong and durable, could be bought in various colors...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Only, I couldn't be sure how to sew it? Maybe just to cut it and with overlapping glued it? Could have nice forms, almost aerodynamic? Maybe to use tinny foam between two layers of fabric for better look?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Still a lot of time to think about.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif](and, of course to re-think construction and shape of classic English side-cars for motorcycles!)
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The fabric goes together well with an impact type adhesive, but you only get one shot at getting it right. There are fabricators who can take your cut pieces and stitch them for you, insert eyelets, add fixing tags. Who do you think makes all the variations on trailer and body fittings?

You can have elastication added or tensioning cords inserted, multicoloured panels, lettering, whatever you want.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Zoran,

I like the side car. With the rear axle moved back and a motorcycle front end it would make the perfect two passenger trike in my mind. Add Anne's wooden sides like the early station wagons and it would be more perfect, at least to me.

I was talking to my brother today and they are pretty sure they are going to sell the house they live in and move out of the city. Terribly expensive as it is in Europe and they can buy further inland at about half what they can get for this house and have land around them in a country setting.

I will hold off building a velo until I see were we move to. If we do move to where they are talking about it will be a lot of country roads and flat land. That will make a difference as to what I build.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
The fabric goes together well with an impact type adhesive, but you only get one shot at getting it right. There are fabricators who can take your cut pieces and stitch them for you, insert eyelets, add fixing tags. Who do you think makes all the variations on trailer and body fittings?

You can have elastication added or tensioning cords inserted, multicoloured panels, lettering, whatever you want.
===========================
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ludwig,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For sure that in Belgrade or around I could find a few smaller workshops that could do any of such jobs for me, for small money, or to give me left-overs of their "plastic". They mostly build bigger components, so that would be small job for them. Here, I didn't see any of such workshops. There is one that build equipment for camping, but of tinnier materials - and, they are too expensive! So - home-job, probably with glue - if decided to build such body...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am not sure if such materials should shrink or stretch on heat? Aircraft covering shrink on heat – using ironing to get properly tight surface...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyway, good solutions to think about that, especially for some kind of closed cabins: coupes and so on...[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Ludwig,

We live 25 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. About 20 minutes north from the U.S. border and two blocks from the Pacific Ocean. White Rock B.C. is our nearest city maybe 5 minutes away

My brother and sister in law bought the house 30 years ago for $107,000 and now it's pushing past $1.5 million. At that price they are just selling the lot and the house most likely will be torn down as nice as it is. It doesn't have the required 9' or ten' ceilings.
Keeper houses are $2.5 to $3 million. These are nice new houses but not mansions by any means.

Most of the purchasers on our street have been Chinese or East Indian. We live in a very quiet residential area.

In Vancouver's more desirable areas lots with a tear down house are $4 million and up. An average 35'x120' lot in Vancouver proper is upwards of $2 million if and when they come up for sale.

With the Canadian dollar worth about 60% of the U.S. dollar we are a fire sale for those with U.S. dollars to spend.

Two or three acres or more an hour and a half to the east of us sells for $600.000 or less.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Well, financially its a no brainer, so long as they get themselves somewhere enjoyable to live.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Allen Wrench,

It's a 1934-1936 M.G. Magnette Airline Coupe. Apparently they made 51 of them in 2 and 4 seat models with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Some 7 remain and trade hands at $150,000 to $200,000 when they become available.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
STEVE:
Hello Allen Wrench,
It's a 1934-1936 M.G. Magnette Airline Coupe. Apparently they made 51 of them in 2 and 4 seat models with 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Some 7 remain and trade hands at $150,000 to $200,000 when they become available.
Steve.
Singer 9 Le Mans, anyone?

http://www.grantford.co.uk/#!singer-9-le-mans/c1xzb

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I would accept 1939 Wolseley, in spite that it isn't quite favorite of mine, but if it is for free, registered and so on (I could come and pick it up)... Singer Le Mans is beautiful small coupe, almost as MG Airline Coupe that is the best small coupe that I know! It is one of the most practical old-timer for me: classic auto but relatively modern to be used today on roads, small enough (I like them small), closed enough for any weather, simple to maintenance (four cylinder, of course, without supercharger)... Maybe some special Austin-7 if go minimalist way, or Fiat Topolino special?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Not this time I am afraid![/FONT]

Attachments