Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

GoldenMotor.com

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
Bern (more) and Belgrade (less)
Started in 1898 http://www.youbioit.com/en/comment/reply/25773 Kool car.............Curt
-----------------------------------------------------
Ludwig and Curt,
Wonderful classic light veteran automobile - voiturette!
It remind me on some made with my brother using MECHANO-SET!

I am afraid that it would be too small for two of, but maybe as single-seat could be used.

Ian from UK built a lot of small electric-powered cars and karts ( a lot of useful information and plans), including wooden body/chassis replica for such Renault:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
http://buggies.builtforfun.co.uk/EV3/index.php#Intro[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Some photos are attached.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Zoran[/FONT]

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks Zoran, Kool to ponder over. As you say a little small for 2, but if going to build could scale for it.........................Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
MERRY CHRISTMAS! Zoran and Olga, Nice buckboard and the motor bike in the background.................Curt
===========
Hello and thank you all!
Unfortunatelly, neither cute buck-board (probably for kids) nor classic motorcycle aren't mine! Just a photo collected from Internet.

One buckboard should the the simplest and cheapest quadricycle that could be made? Later could be add some light and simple body?
Zoran

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
And the churning turmoil that passes as Fasteddys brain started to roil and tumble and then his fingers started racing across the key board and lo and behold he found that they did indeed make an electric Auto Red Bug Buckboard.

Oh Bother. It doesn't look good, as he said to himself (in a rather conspiratorial way) how long could it take to make one and how much could it cost.

There is a selection of three golf cart axles out in the permanent temporary building at the side of the house that have steering built in already, thanks to Silverbear giving up his axle last bike camp. It may come back with a Red Bug attached, hickory/oak boards are not overly expensive and you don't need that many. The original motors were 1928 Doge starter motors that could be replaced with a more modern motor and a 36 volt lithium battery.

Twenty mm ,through, bicycle hubs and 20" wheels with a one wheel drive and three disc brakes on the other wheels to assure a rapid stop.

So closes the last door to Heaven for the Eddster.

The evidence. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...dqpEbw&usg=AFQjCNHxHnSbOfl69f-q29XcxdwS1BaeTA

Rats!!!

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Once I was trying to figure out what someone was telling me was a trailer called a 5th wheel. Auto with 4 wheels and the trailer has 2 wheel.... what gives? Anyway I accepted it as that is just the way it is.

These cars from the past are really 5th wheels! The wood slats remind me of sleds of the past. Shellac the nice wood grain!

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Once I was trying to figure out what someone was telling me was a trailer called a 5th wheel. Auto with 4 wheels and the trailer has 2 wheel.... what gives? Anyway I accepted it as that is just the way it is.

These cars from the past are really 5th wheels! The wood slats remind me of sleds of the past. Shellac the nice wood grain!
5th wheel is actually the hitch that a trailer pivots on, like a semi truck has and all the gooseneck trailer have.

Steve i have seen one someone made at a farm show used a lawn mower engine mounted on back behind the seat instead of extra wheel. They are really neet to see and watch drive around............Curt

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hello There, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]All such buckboards, from Waltham Orient to Red Bug variants, looks to me as kid karts for adult person – and even better for two of them![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]In spite that there were modern replicas with “fifth wheel”, for me easier variant would be engine at rear part of platform, behind seats! I think that at corners, motorised wheel should skid a little to outside, having free movement just up-down? Could Velo-Solex engine be good for fifth wheel (modern Chinese variant)?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]With John from USA, I discussed a lot buck-board design for my possibly built quadricycle... As he is expert for King-Midgets, he was sure that one-wheel power should be good for such light vehicle with small engine, low power and speed. Of course, brakes on all four wheels would be good and for legal road-use necessary![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instead of solid wood (hard to find good quality), I would use ply-wood strips, something heavier but stronger... [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Could it be made pedal-powered (+ engine or electric-motor) – with lower chassis?[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ciao,[/FONT]

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curtis,

I have glanced at these every time someone posted one but never paid a lot of attention to how they were made until last night as I was headed for bed. Amazing how fast 2am comes as your forehead bounces off the key board.

It's doable and fairly easy I think.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hello Zoran,

When you posted the photo of the single seat buckboard and the early motorcycle I looked at it and realized that I had a lot of the parts already. I don't know what I'll do with them and if they were made into a Red Bug style buckboard they would have a use.

I think it was post #2152 that showed how someone had used the rear section from a child's 20" bike and welded a small platform to it to attach a Brigg and Stratton motor.

I don't know if you could use it anywhere on the road. Most laws say it has to have 3 wheels and pedals to be usable on the road as a motorcycle/trike otherwise it's classed as a car. Electric power may be required as well if you power it.
The E.U. may well have different laws.

I'm sure that one wheel drive would work well to move it fast enough. Somewhere they suggested 16" moped wheels and tires since they are the same as 20" bicycle wheels and tires.

Heavy plywood will work. The builder supply near me has fortunately has a good supply of oak boards at a big price but if they didn't I'd be using plywood myself. Good quality urethane varnish will keep it water proof. I would thin it out 50/50 with turpentine or paint thinner to let it soak into the wood as a primer and then use it full strength to apply 4 or 5 coats.

The Velo-Solex may well work as a power wheel. I don't know much about them but I believe Anne does.

It does open up a whole new world of fun and I'll be out measuring the front axles as soon as the snow lets up. Even if Silverbear and I just sneak up the road to the Bear Head State Park on occasion it would be worth building. If two old men grinning like 10 year old kids with their hands caught in the cookie jar doesn't convince the police officer that we're innocent we will have to pay the fine and build another one.

Steve.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Steve,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]European Union has quite detailed regulations for light motorised vehicles, and special kind of "pedelec" which are accepted as bicycles! That means: I must pedal to use electric-power, then - restriction in power and speed up to 25 km/hour... In any case, number of wheels are not important: just weight, dimensions, power and speed. A lot of choices. Efficient brakes on all wheels are necessary in all variants! Rear wheels closer than 46 centimeters = three-wheeler.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]No problem for gasoline or diesel powered quadricycle without pedals, but some variant with pedals and electric-power should be more acceptable. More components used from bicycles, and less look-a-like as auto = more acceptable.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sooooooooo – to develop my pedal-powered quadricycle trough a few phases, sometime according to the Law, sometime stretching the Law a little... Just to be accepted by general public and officials! In any way, I think that I would never have enough of money to build one seriously motorised quadricycle in a style of modernised cycle-car! Not to mention old plans/dreams to build something as classic English light special...[/FONT]

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I forget the weight and dimension limits, but EU moped rules specify speed restrictions and 50cc for spark ignition engines, and 4kw for any engine (compression or other ignition, electric, ?steam). Low power rules in the UK require operable pedals, 1kw, 28kph max.

Up to 4 wheels qualifies for a moped, but I think only 2 for the low power class.

moto-klasika

Jan 12, 2013
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]P.S.: that is what I mean: "If two old men (man and woman in my case) grinning like 10 year old kids with their hands caught in the cookie jar doesn't convince the police officer that we're innocent we will have to pay the fine and build another one."... Good to have good axles on the shelf! Front steering could make problems (more work and money)...

P.P.S.: Moped wheels of 16" are the best combination for light quadricycle: cheap, strong and with drum-brakes! In Belgrade, I could buy one from 30$$$ (old) up to 50$$$ (new), complete with axle, bearings, drum-brakes, spokes, rims and tyres – and sprocket for rear wheel!
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]For such small and low vehicle they shouldn't look too small (I prefer bigger wheels, but...)... I am sure that I could incorporate free-wheel for using pedals too. With two smaller electric-motors for each wheel one, I should have (almost) differential action + reverse![/FONT]

Attachments