USA Nation Wide Poll

GoldenMotor.com

Are You In Favor Of A National Organization?

• Total voters

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I did a Google Search on "The History of Motorcycle Laws" and found a site called AMA, American Motorcyclist Association. It was started in 1903! People saw a need for a national organization of motorcycle enthusiast.

What are your thoughts? Should there be a motorized bicycle, gas and electric, national organization? It could have memberships drawn from riders and dealers.

Terry

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here are my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.

Yes, there can be benefits to a national organization especially in the avenues of helping with legislation/legalization of certain hobbys and activities. Like they say, "There's strength in numbers". When an activity such as ours is presented in a way that demonstrates responsible use by the membership the law makers can and often do respond favorably.
Sponsorship of events can also help in promoting public awareness of what we do and to show us in a favorable light. All of these are unarguably good things.

The drawback, at least as I see them which is based on previous experience with several national organizations is that eventually they manifest into a business with the foucus more on making money than doing what they were originally intended for.

Being the curmudgeonly old cynic that I am I questioned one particular head of one of those National organizations about where did all the money go. There were membership fees, event entry fees,the entry fees charged to spectators, huge amounts of advertising dollars that came from the monthly magazine, and paid by vendors who wished to hawk their wares at one of the sponsored events. I did some rough math and was amazed at the apparent profits garnered by that organization and then looked closely at what my benefits were by being a member. Not much. I got a monthly magazine that was nothing more than a catalog of who was selling what, a calendar of events and a few photos and a few paragraphs on event coverage. I got a windshield sticker, a hat pin and a t shirt. All that, and it only cost me $45.00 a year.

When I questioned this the answer I got, and this was the current head of that organization, was; "It takes money to run an organization this big." Huh?

So, yes, there are some good things, but be aware that eventually, someone will find a way to turn the National Motorized Bicycle Association, NMBA, into a profit making endeavor. That's when I'll divorce myself from it and go about my merry way and enjoy my hobby without having to pay to do it. Just my thoughts.
Tom

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Thanks for the info Tom. My idea was a not-for-profit-organization for the very reasons you stated. I was a state vice commander in a national veterans organization once upon a time and saw the same things.

It would be a lot of work to get it set up but once things smooth out it could have a very positive effect on our hobby. I guess we will just have to wait and see if there is any support for the idea.

Terry

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Here are my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em.

The drawback, at least as I see them which is based on previous experience with several national organizations is that eventually they manifest into a business with the foucus more on making money than doing what they were originally intended for.
And a poignant thought it is. Follow the money and that trail usually won't lead to the backyard hobbyist. Imagine someone like Gon Drube running things.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
a charter can fix the accounting. the treasurer could be forced to post online where all monies go. also other stipulations like removal of positions in certain circumstances.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I just sent an email to the American Motorcycle Association. I gave them a Readers Digest version of our situation in Florida and some other states and asked if they could give us some ideas and suggestions.

Terry

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
I have had the same exp. With other sport org. And can't agree more with what been said here so far. I was thinking about a one time membership fee when you join and donations only as the whole of the finance for this org. And every dime should be public and on web/newsletter . This thing is gona have to run on voluenteers the first few years anyway...all of us would need to take on jobs to get anything done.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
All kidding aside guys, if this gets off the ground I'll be behind it 100%. I have no desire to take on any responsibilities, lazy maybe, or selfish, nevertheless I believe the concept has merit and should be pursued. There are similar organizations that have done well by their members. The size always seems to be a factor; too big and they go haywire.
Keep us informed on the progress.
Tom

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
He has 2 votes ! :)

He is the early favorite ! :)
Yes Vote for Pedro! VOTE FOR PEDRO .com - Funny Napoleon Dynamite movie quotes. wut! :p

Actually I think Tom would make a great leader! He has the wisdom and integrity for it and I respect that:)

This is a pretty kewl Idea guys. Still tho In my home town I have no reason to complain yet. In the few years now of M.B.ing I have not been bothered or bothered any one. We are free to ride here with common sense and courtesy of course. Somebody could always ruin that tho. It is always the few that are capable of ruining for us all.

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
The issue seems to be accountability .I have no problem with a large org. Or it having paid employees as long as the members are served in the process.
Perhaps the position of tresurer is of more concern? (imo) We need people with exp. Keeping public records and a good web designer.
Luckly the two main things we have are people who are passionate about mb's and that have computer skills...
I like fulltimers idea about contacting other org.s and ask about how they handle things?