Turn signals at rite aid

GoldenMotor.com

the_edge150

Dealer
Aug 21, 2008
Monrovia,CA
i was talking to my freind jim today, who owns a MB that he had built for him , and we were discussing lighting, then he brought up to me that at rite aid, they have these combo brake light/turn signals set up, and it works pretty good! its 3 LEDs for each side, then one in the middle, and has a little control to turn it on for the handlebars, and flashes on the handlebars to remind you that it is on. they were only 8 bucks,and work like a charm, and should be an essential to safety on one of these bikes. i willl post pics later when i find my camera. :D

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
i have a riteaid i dont think they have anything like that or any bicyle stuff(the one in my town).
You just need to expand your horizons, LOL DealExtreme: Bike Accessories (Page 1) for bike stuff. This stuff is usually half the price of what you get in the states, but it may take some time to get to you.

DealExtreme: $6.64 9-LED Turning Signal Lights for Bicycles (2*AA) Sold out at the moment or DealExtreme: $8.65 9-LED Turning Signal Lights with Electronic Horn for Bicycles (2*AA) I bought the first one, the horn is most annoying and when you turn on the signals it makes a godawful noise as well.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
I've bought a few things from DealExtreme, most of it was ultra cheap stuff that didn't last long. The only decent thing I got from them was a couple of 3w LED bike headlights. I use two of them, one pointed a little lower and one pointed a little higher, they light the way pretty good, are metal not plastic, and use a decent quality mount unlike the other lights I tried from there. My only gripe is the mounts use a thumb screw, great for adjusting on the road with no tools but they make it very easy for a thief to steal the lights in a few seconds. The lights do slide off the mount at least.

I didn't think my Rite Aid would have the turn signals but they did. Now if I could just find room to mount the remote.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yeah deal extreme probably won't be getting any more of those. I have already bought a few (I steal the control panel) I tried to buy one like 8 months ago, took them forever to email me and say o we don't have this in the warehouse, then it took 3 emails that all said the exact same thing before they actually got my issue resolved. Basicaly 6 months waiting just for the first email after I had already sent a few. But anyway I used deal extreme a lot and I have noticed a trend that once it is out of stock it almost never comes back on that site. They have a much more crappy version on the site to that has an annoying ass horn that even goes of when your blinker blinks (Believe me its about the most annoying thig since that sound Jim Carrey made in the dog Van in Dumb and Dumber) Sounds like one of those taser gun toys with the different 12 different laser sounds.

Last edited:

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Buddy,

You get what you pay for. I have noticed that a lot of the stuff is exactly the same stuff you pay 3 time as much for. I got some flashlight holders that are ok and put a couple Serengeti flashlights I got at Sam's Club. They worked great after I used a little superglue to lock the lights position into place. So I can't complain about a dual headlight system that cost me under $25. The light on my other bike is something like $200 retail and I always worry I am going to come back and find it stolen.

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
You get what you pay for is pretty much my point. There's a reason their stuff is cheap, it isn't because it's decent quality.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Having seen the more expensive versions and finding that they are the EXACT same stuff just means sometime you pay more for the same old thing.

I know that this is not always the case. I love when they make mistakes cause they take forever to fix.

Now here is a real laugh the advert above this post which I clicked on got me to this part: GasBikeShop Motor Bicycle Engine Kits Brake Light, Turn Signal, Night Light and Horn Combo | 14-Addons | 6-Parts and Accessories | GasBikeShop - RuiHong Enterprises Ltd.

Now this is exactly the turn signals sold at DealExtreme for $6.50 The pictures may not match, but that is exactly what I got.

Last edited:

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
I got a similar set on line somewhere (forget where, sorry...) and the vibration of the bike itself made the signals blink really fast. Too fast to even really see. Ultimately, the cheap plastic stuff fell apart after a few good bumps in the road. I still have the switch assembly that installs right on the brake cable and will use that again eventually. That switch works pretty well if adjusted properly. (see my topic for the explanaition of how I will still use that switch.)

Anyhow, growing tired of the cheap bike lights that were only designed for a Pedal Bike, I built for myself a system that is more like a Motorcycle. This really holds up well to on road use at speed, even with the vibrations from the engine.

I had such a long reply for this topic about my own idea, that I thought I'd be better off to start a New one instead of derailing this one. If interested, you can find my Own Topic <here> http://motorbicycling.com/f11/12v-turn-signals-lighting-10176.html

Edit Pending: XX Edit Done! (See Link Above.)

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
All of this stuff is made in China or Taiwan. I would rather save a buck buying it cause its all potentially junk.
Thanks for the links guys.

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
$90 bucks? Yikes! :eek:

I'm pretty sure I spent less than that with my whole system of lights, Front and Rear. But... I did recycle a few things I had already in the shop.

Wireless, and Automatic Braking Sensor. Hmmm. That IS pretty slick if it really works. But I still wish that the Bike units had the turn signal lights spread out a bit more. That's another reason I built my own system. I wanted to get the turning lights Away from the center tail/Brake light so that car drivers can more easily see the fact that I intend to turn.

Prof Fate

Aug 19, 2008
St.Louis (Brentwood), MO
More Effective Turn Signals?

I agree that moving the turn signals out a way from the center of the bike would help drivers realize that they are blinkers more easily. I like the idea of sticking the lights at the end of rods that come out from the center 6-8 inches. Kind of like a creation I saw a long time ago…

Remember those old white fiberglass rods with the bright orange triangle flags that were mounted to bikes for higher visibility back in the 70’s- 80’s. I saw hardcore downtown city cyclist that adapted part of the rod with a great idea. He took a length of rod about 2 and a half feet long and mounted behind his seat on a pivot (like a regular kickstand mounting) that allowed it to be flipped and locked into a horizontal or vertical position. He mounted a big reflector to the end of it and would flip it down to the horizontal position hanging out to the left side. This made his bike a much wider vehicle on the left side and forced cars to give him an even wider berth when passing him. If some idiot did happen to come to close to him they would hit the rod and it would flex or break without toppling his bike. (It had the added benefit of possibly leaving a nice scratch down the side of the car) When he needed to maneuver in a tight area he just reached back and popped it into the upright position.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Have a good time, ALL the time." Member of Spinal Tap

Cowboy Rider

Apr 20, 2009
Illinois
Not sure if you checked out the system I built in the link I gave above, but here's a Pic of what I did on the Front of the bike. The bar that you see here that has the front turn signals mounted on it is actually the Original Handlebar for that mountain bike. I cut it down and fabricated the lighting mounts of course, but you can plainly see how I've recycled stuff that I had around the shop to put this system together for my bike.

If you check my topic and view my Pic Gallery you'll see that the milk crate box provides it's own turn signal lights spacing that I wanted. For the record though, here's a pic of that as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your idea of that flag pole/fiberglass rod that can flip down to the left side of the bike. I want to talk about that one a bit here.

That is one Heck of an Astounding Idea!!! I was just telling the wife about this after I saw what you wrote, and I Fully intend to do just that sir! Indeed, I DO remember those bike flags from back then, and I 1000% agree with that Mod to our bikes as an added Safety Measure to make the cars give us a wider berth for passing.

2 1/2 feet should be a good enough berth to let the cars know that we are here on the roads and would really like to NOT get hit by them. The flip up/down design that you mention (just like a Kickstand) is Perfect too! I would say that instead of Reflectors we should add a blinking light, but whatever we add would certainly be better than nothing. Even a simple Flag would be better than nothing.

Sir, if you haven't already done so I Highly Recommend that you start a New Topic in the Safety Forum with this "Berth" idea about the cars that will want to pass us. I fully intend to add this to my bike soon and I want to thank you much for the idea. I also strongly support the idea that you should start up a New Topic and share this one with everyone here. This is too good of an idea to not share with the rest of the Motor Bikers out there. :)

lreeves

Aug 8, 2009
Murfreesboro, TN
i was talking to my freind jim today, who owns a MB that he had built for him , and we were discussing lighting, then he brought up to me that at rite aid, they have these combo brake light/turn signals set up, and it works pretty good! its 3 LEDs for each side, then one in the middle, and has a little control to turn it on for the handlebars, and flashes on the handlebars to remind you that it is on. they were only 8 bucks,and work like a charm, and should be an essential to safety on one of these bikes. i willl post pics later when i find my camera. :D
OK, I bought this and installed it this evening.
Great Idea. I ordered it from BestOfferBuy for $6.50 with Free Shipping.
Shipping was 5 to 15 Business Days. I got it in a week and a half.

It is cheep, you get what you pay for.
It came in the original box that looked like it was dug out of the garbage.
No Instructions.
I took the lens off to find batteries installed, swollen and leaking.
Some screws were missing from the mounting hardware.
Controller was scuffed up and scratched.

Bad Deal?

However, I was able to replace the batteries after cleaning out the battery liquid.
I got it installed and maybe with a little supper glue it will work for a while.

It does have 3 LEDs under a yellow lens on each side that are very visible for the turn signals and beeps at the controller when engaged.
Several LEDs for the stop light. The stop/tail light has several selections, scanning side to side and reverse, fast scan, slow scan, all flash etc. They get brighter and stop scanning when the stop light switch is made. The stop light switch mounts on the brake caliper and works fine.

All of this is controlled from the handlebar mounted switch that also sports a horn (very week).
The connected wiring is long enough that I had to wrap some of it up, so it should fit most bikes.

Great Idea, Cheep but worth the Price.

I tried to make a video but was to dark, maybe latter.

Old 2-Stroker.trk