tubing sizes?

GoldenMotor.com

robwizard

May 3, 2012
North West, UK
I want to build a frame sort of similar to an early Harley.. Just wondering what sort of tube I should be using? I will probably get an old scrapper bike for the BB, headtube and parts of the rear triangle.. but what about the main tubing?

Cheers

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I use either 1 inch 13g or 11g depending on weight & power of engine. most early motor cycles used 1 inch. 11g may be over kill , but better safe than injured or dead.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I will have to disagree with you guys. I have a book here that says the the main tubes should be 1 1/8 and the rear triangle is either 3/4 or 7/8. It also says that anything less than 3/32 thick is considered unsafe, ideally you would want to use 1/8 thick tubing. This is all referenced from "Early motorcycle construction operation and repair" pg. 380.

On my v-twin build I used what they recommended 1 1/8 @1/8 thick. Its very heavy but also very strong.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
This is my advice: Using old components from a frame is never a good idea if you plan to build a complete frame; it's just not worth it.

I chose to use this company for my bottom brackets and have used them for my head tubes also. The parts are top notch and the customer service is the best. Now for the drop outs just buy some 3/16 plate and cut your own, it's not that hard.
http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/BOTTOM-BRACKETS/

I have used a few different sizes of tubing: I started with .065 and just finished a frame with .120 which seems to be the way to go. Another option is right between both and that would be .090 which is still good.

Your motor choice should determine your tubing thickness, china girl .065 or .090, big clone then go with .120

Hope this helps you out. You can also check out some of my builds to see how and what I have used and completed.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I will have to disagree with you guys. I have a book here that says the the main tubes should be 1 1/8 and the rear triangle is either 3/4 or 7/8. It also says that anything less than 3/32 thick is considered unsafe, ideally you would want to use 1/8 thick tubing. This is all referenced from "Early motorcycle construction operation and repair" pg. 380.

On my v-twin build I used what they recommended 1 1/8 @1/8 thick. Its very heavy but also very strong.
13 g. is slightly under 8th inch and 11g is slightly over i do use 3/4 on the rear tri's. what year bikes were you researching?