Trouble Stopping

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
The bike I put my 4G kit on is a cheesy Walmart Murray, 7 speed with side pull caliper brakes. The front brake works pretty well, but the back brake is almost useless. I've never paid any attention to these brakes before, but now with the engine on there brakes are becoming important.

If you wanted to improve the stopping power of one of these brakes, how would you do it? New shoes? I have no idea of what to buy. Will roughing up the side surface of the rim help?

I'm really out of my element here and would appreciate any advice you guys would care to give.

Thanks,
Fred

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The factory supplied brake pads that came on your bike are not the best. Check a local bike shop for a better quality pad. I wouldn't "rough up the rim". That will drastically shorten the life of any pad you install. Do make sure the rims and pads are clean and free of oil and dust.

Also adjust the brakes so there is just enough clearance between the pad and the rim so there is no contact but very little travel is required for the pads to clamp firmly.

Like the man said, any improvement will cost you. Disc brakes are the ultimate, if they can be installed on your bike. Conversion kits are available but trying to put a disc brake on the rear can present you with problems in the way of chain to caliper clearance and other factors. Look at putting a disc brake on the front wheel. It does about 70% of the stopping anyway.
Tom
Good luck.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
hey 2Door hows it going - i got a question, do they make a sprocket that is a disc brake as well like the harley davidsons have?
I know a guy who tried it but the results were questionable due to the roughness of the sprocket surface. It wore out pads quickly. The problem comes with the width of the chain as compared with most bicycle calipers. There's no room for the chain. He had to modify the caliper which weakened it and it broke.

There are disc brake/sprocket adapters, so-called 'Top Hats' that allows you to install a disc brake rotor onto the sprocket but you'll be limited to small rear sprockets to get that chain/caliper clearance and proper pad to rotor contact.

Tom

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Hey Fred,

If you are looking to improve the brakes you already have on a budget try these brake shoes, they are the best.

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=402993

If you are willing to spend a little bit more you can easily upgrade to " V" brakes using this adapter and buying some inexpensive V brakes like these:

http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS-BRAKEACCESS/489051/V-Brake_Plate.html

http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.php?cPath=4_43_4306&sort=2a&filter_id=&sort=3a

Of course everyone will tell you that disc brakes outperform calipers, cantilever and V brakes but of course you will be spending considerably more $$$.

Consider all the alternatives but make sure you do something about getting worthwhile brakes before you get hurt.

TiM

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Tim, I just ordered two sets of those pads through Amazon. Of all I saw there, those looked the best overall. My bike doesn't have any mounts for V brakes. The best I'll be able to do is center pull calipers. It may be possible that I could mount higher quality side pull calipers and get some improvement that way also.

Right now I'm putting alot of hope in the high quality shoes. They'll be here next Tuesday.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Oh, wait a minute. That second link takes care of the lack of mounts problem. I wasn't paying attention. I'll have to rethink this.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Last edited:

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Tim, great suggestions! I bought the adapter thingy from Dan's and levers from Niagara so when it all comes together I will have brakes as in the pic from Endless-Sphere. I'll be stoppin' real good. Thanks very much for your help on this.

Fred

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've heard the Kool-Stop Salmons are good, and that adapter braket thingy looks like a great alternative to caliper brakes.

I'll watch for your hi-speed testing!

Good luck
rc

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Glad to hear you came up with a practical solution that will work great for your bike.

A word to the wise.... Niagara is a great place to order bicycle parts from but
they aren't the fastest shippers sometimes. Don't be surprised if your order takes about a week to get to you...

I've ordered about 8 or so times from them and they will always come through.
.Nobody can beat their prices or selection for sure.

Happy motoring Fred!

TiM