Tragedy strikes!!! (well, sorta)

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I knew it would happen. I got pulled over by the cops.

I talked to the officer for a long while, and he said, "I can't see you out here again or I will have to write you a ticket, so get the bike home and be safe." That was Fri.

Yesterday, I got pulled over again, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AREA OF THE COUNTY and YES, it was the SAME officer.

It took some smooth talking (begging almost) to not have the bike "confiscated" (put on a flatbed and hauled to the impound lot for an extra 100 bux). I also did not get ticket. I gave him a story about how I build bikes and sell them, ect. and was testing the bike after repairs. He asked "What were you doing with it yesterday?" Der....I quit lying while I was ahead. I did have to assure him I would ride it home with the engine off, and even removed the masterlink for good measure (of course I put it back on 5 minutes after I rode away).

So, now the bikes are for sale. I am going to miss riding the motorized bikes a lot, and am trying to "find a way". I can't afford to get a bike hauled off, or a ticket.

I'll still pop in here once in awhile to do my thing and moderate, but for now I am going to have to live vicariously through every one here as far as riding goes.

Bummer.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
how about an e bike... They leave a lot to be desired but can be fun as well. What are the ohio laws on ebikes.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What the heck are your laws, anyway?

No under 49cc or anything? 4-stroke? Ebike?
The bottom line is that you have to have an "approved" motorized bicycle (because the "approved" bikes are really mopeds). The only one sold as an "approved" model is Wildfire.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have been riding "illegally" for three years, and this is the first time I have had any kind of hassle.

I know if the same guy catches me out there again, I will have a fine at least, bike confiscated fine and maybe a walk on role in the next episode of "Cops" if thing don't go well.

I think I am done riding these bad babies. I guess I can find something else to idle away the hours.....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes the batteries are the problem but they have been forever. I didn't realize you were a had so far to ride to get anywhere. Well find a way I'm sure you can figure out something.

How about motorized trail bike and do the fire lanes.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hey Joe, how hard would it be for you to either

A) get a wildfire

or in another case

B) make a bike "into" a wildfire?

You have one real "out" here, and that is that somehow Wildfire got one approved, this is the first time I have ever seen ANY 2-stroke chinese MotorBike on ANY "approved" list.

Somehow, this is your chance I think

Mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Joe,
At least you still have the scooter, right? I'll bet it's legal. What do the Ohio laws say specifically about mororized bicycles? Is there anything in them that would give you a legal edge against this bonehead cop? Is there options that you could install that would make it legal (brake lights, directional signals) or are these bikes just outright verbotten in Ohio?
Tom

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
i rode around tucson on a quad for a few years in tucson that had an r1 motor in it, i was constantly being pulled over and threatened with confiscation, tickets, etc. they would tell me i needed a motorcycle liscence because it had a mc plate, and that if they saw me on it again it would be impounded and i would be arrested. i figured that if they could, they would. i was right. no one chased me down when i rode away from the parking lot. i set up a court date in front of a judge, not one of the six cops who harrased me that day showed up. everything was dropped. don't get me wrong though, i got plenty of tickets, but i deserved the ones that stuck.

the point is- if they could, they would. and don't blame the cop for being an ass, it's not his fault he was beat up in high school

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Joe. I know you are over 14. So from the link above I see "To become licensed to operate a moped, 14 and 15-year-olds must pass the usual vision and written tests, as well as a road test. This rule also applies to persons not currently holding a valid operator's license, regardless of age.

Looks like contacting the deputy registrar to get you approved as a manufacturer Lawriter - OAC - Chapter 4501-23 Motorized Bicycles-Equipment and Testing seems to cover all the requirements. Bury the cop in paperwork.

Come on you are "Bikeguy Joe" living in the home of the one piece crank. I just know you can give it to the man.dnut

You could go sleazy: Go to Petsmart and get one of the engraved dog tags with an approved model name on it and rivet it to the bike.

Comrade Alfonzo

Jul 15, 2009
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree, get the proper liscensing, or at least part of it and if you overwhelm the cop with the minor reasons your bike is legal and talk fast and intimidating with big words and it should work, it works on teachers, make it sound like you know it's legal and bluff your way through.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I've toyed with the idea of registering my MB as a moped (although they're legal round here) - just to help stave off cop harassment...

I don't much like the idea of havin the numbers ifn I don't hafta, but is this not an option for you? WTF does "approved" mean anyway?

I approve wholeheartedly trufax :p

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Joe,
This is supposedly a country which celebrates its freedoms. When laws are wrong they need to be changed. At a time when we as a nation are trying to find ways to conserve energy and go green, motorbicycles make a lot of sense. If Ohio goes unchallenged with this law there is a danger in this stupidity spreading to other states. If you choose to fight back it can be something which reaches far and wide beyond your individual situation. I hope you will think about it and consider pushing on for your rights and for all of our rights as free Americans. When a law makes sense, that is one thing, but when it doesn't it needs to be changed. Sometimes we think we have no power as individuals, but every now and then when somebody stands up and says, "no", change comes and surprises everyone. You build bikes for others, correct? So, you are a small businessman doing a service for others who may not be able to afford a gas guzzling car. In a sense Ohio's law is a kind of discrimination against poor people, denying them one option for affordable transportation to and from the workplace, etc. If this is cast in the light of viable transportation rather than just something fun for sport it may help. And what is the deal with this Wildfire bike being legal? If you can demonstrate that the bikes you build are every bit as safe, and no doubt better made, how can the state say only one manufacturer is approved? In a sense you, too, are a manufacturer. Wildfire doesn't make their own parts do they? Don't they also buy from other vendors? What is the difference? So a Spookytooth bike would be illegal there? Or a Venicebike? What about a Whizzer? Do you know any newspaper people who might be interested in writing a story? That can really help get some attention to the problem. There are lawmakers who may see taking up the fight for the "underdog" as something which helps their political image. What if you did everything to make your bikes moped legal in terms of head, tail and brake lights... pointed out the safe brakes and make them as legitimate as possible? I don't like to think that you can be stopped from doing something which isn't hurting anybody and has the potential for a lot of good reaching far beyond yourself. There must be others on this forum who live in Ohio. There can be great strength when people join forces. Don't give up.
Silverbear