To drill or not to drill?

GoldenMotor.com

lmmacko

May 10, 2011
Davison,MI
Howdy folks! I'm looking to place a Grubee Skyhawk 80cc engine on my Schwinn Delmar Cruiser for the second time. (I ended up selling the first engine, but have since bought another.) My fist build I used the universal front motor mount for the down tube since it was a bit wide to use the regular mount. My second engine didn't come with the universal mount, but it did come with the mount that you can drill into the frame. I'm not a patient person, and rather than ordering the universal mount and having to wait a few weeks to get it would the other mount be ok to use? I heard mixed reviews about it, so though I would come here to seek advice. Thanks in advance!

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
By drilling a hole in the frame you give cracks a great place to start. Now that being said how much do you like that frame and are you willing to buy a new frame when it cracks?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You'll find that all experienced builders on this forum will tell you not to drill a hole in the frame to mount an engine. The vibrations that are inherent with a 2 stroke engine will be transmitted directly to that hole and it can cause eventual structural failure of the metal. There are many alternatives to drilling.

Don't rush it. Do it right with the proper mount and you'll be ahead of the game even if it delays riding your bike for a few days.

Tom