Tires for racing

GoldenMotor.com

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
The "SkinnyCat" tire looks close. (I'm cautious, tread looks good and not too worried about 35psi, but combine that with it's 400gram weight, and I'm a little hesitant about pushing 35mph+ hard braking/cornering. If Swhalbe doesn't come thru this next week, think I'll grab a pair)
http://http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/pm-9152-1-24-x-215-schwalbe-big-apple-hs-430-507.aspx

Many are desperate for 24" Maxiss Hookworms which appear to be discontinued.

As of now, the only 24" tire I can locate, is Schwalbe Big Apple 2.15" width.

Any leads to 24 inchers? (Thanks Aleman, read closely though, it's out of stock!) (Are the Kiniptions soft and sticky?)

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I originally had some Duro street tires on my first race bike & I didn't seem to have any traction problems; (but I wasn't really that fast).
Then as I started trying to get more serious about building a better race bike, I installed some Hookworms; they worked very well but I eventually had to acknowedge that the four fastest racers weren't using fancy tires, (just regular tires)... So for the next few races I'm going back to the skinny Duro tires to see what I can do. :)

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
My favorite fast tire is the Bontrager Hank. Hands down the best-cornering 26" balloon tire I have ever rolled on. With 75 psi in them they ride really nice with very low rolling resistance. They are quite wide for their size rating (26x2.2). I got a little over 2000 miles out of a rear tire, front hardly showed any wear. Surprising considering how sticky they are.

I'd still be running them if not for the fact their beads are so small. I kept losing valve stems! I run Kenda Kiniptions now.

The "SkinnyCat" tire looks pretty good, however, Out of Stock, ahhh!

My search for 24" racing tires continues. Many are desperate for 24" Maxiss Hookworms which appear to be discontinued.

As of now, the only 24" tire I can locate, is Schwalbe Big Apple 2.15" width.

Any leads to 24 inchers?
I see the Skinny Cat over here: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/innova-skinny-cat-24-tire
What I don't like about em is their low pressure rating. 35psi? Meh.

You might want to give these a look. I run them, and at that price, you might want to give em a try. They can take a lot of air pressure.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I average about 35 to 40 psi. Tho I have not checked for some time with a pressure gauge. I can usually tell by hand just by squeezing my tires when airing them up.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I run all my tires at max rating... On some a little more. I like the tires Dave has mentioned. They may be easy to get in a 24... No body has Hookworms anymore in 24's
Does any body make a comparable tire such as this one say 24X2.5 to 3.0? That was a damn good tire too me. I felt confident and safe they way they handled in the street here.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One time while doing some testing and just making laps at the track I took my tire temp gauge tester.

I was curious to see how much temp our bicycle tires are gaining during and after a race. To my surprise no matter how many laps I ran the tire temps never changed.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
(Are the Kiniptions soft and sticky?)
i rode kiniptions on my first race bike and loved them. rode them in tucson, at the grange, and at willow.

willow, i had bald ones and slid all over that track. everywhere else they were nice and sticky.

i'm still riding them on my street bike, too.

but nothing compares to my pirelli moped tires. those things are friggen awesome. and i run like 25lbs in them.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've heard from a lot of old skool racers that running a lower tire pressure gives the tires a bigger 'contact patch'.
I ran my tires at the last Grange race with only 20 psi in them... they were really bouncy feeling but they grabbed pretty good!
I decided to try 30 psi at Bairds last race & I really liked how they worked.
Now that I'm going back to the skinny tires, I'm going to have to do some more testing... (& maybe end back up at my standard 35 psi). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
One problem I had with the hookworms which I did not have with any other tire is rear wheel hop.

At Willow Springs I had a heck of a time trying to keep the rear wheel planted.

Attachments

SoSauty

Feb 4, 2011
Bako, CA
Slim pickins for 24". Even Innova Skinny Cat out of stock.
Choices, choices;

Kenda Kiniptions, 2.3" 745grams, folding, universal tread, med. soft rubber, 2 ply, 30-80psi

Schwalbe BigApples, 2.15" 660grams, wire bead, near slick tread, med. soft rubber, puncture resistant strip built in 30-55psi

(23" is a moped HS231)

Attachments

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
does anyone know what the bars rating mean? my hookworms say 4.5 and some 24x3.00 say 2.8 that i was looking at. the walls seem to be pretty thick and have a 1'' high side wall like a low profile. thanks guy's dennis