Throttle cable

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Does anybody know how I can shorten my throttle cable. It looks terrible sticking way out like that. The cable is a stock 43 inch and I need about 6 inches cut off it. Are the ends swaged on or soldered or crimped. If their's no way to alter it can I buy a 39 inch cable from anybody. ()

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yes you can cut the cable and housing down. You'll need to solder a new end on.

You can also get a whole new (nice) throttle assembly from Sick Bike Parts - they come 35" or 41" or 47"

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Yes you can cut the cable and housing down. You'll need to solder a new end on.

You can also get a whole new (nice) throttle assembly from Sick Bike Parts - they come 35" or 41" or 47"
Which end is soldered on. It looks like the end at the throttle control is just lead and it will melt. I haven't looked at the end in the carb. Back when I worked in a motorcycle shop we used to solder a lot of cables for custom bikes. If these are the same it wont be a problem.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, it's the end in the carburetor. Cut off what you want gone as cleanly as possible... a dremel with a cutoff wheels is perfect for the job. Clean up that business end of the cable and use silver solder with flux for silver solder. I find it helps to first wrap a strand or two of copper wire around it as the solder then grabs better. Then use the dremel with a grinding wheel or diamond tip to shape it to the same dimensions as the old stop you removed. I realize you may know all this, but someone else is reading your post who did not know how and now they do. There is a nice video that Norm did on shortening a cable.
SB