think i have a air leak?

GoldenMotor.com

beentryin

Apr 24, 2010
goshen,ohio
when my motor is cold it runs good but it idles higher than when hot and.when i rev it up it takes longer to rev back down,does this sound like a air leak?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Sounds like it could be and sounds hard to find since it goes away.

Is it worse with colder weather?

My bike acted like that today and once warmed up it was good, but it has me worried since it took about 5 minutes to warm up.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
both of mine have always ran as you have described, to be sure you dont have an air leak and are running too lean just take out your spark plug and see if it is a nice medium brown color, if it is then you are probably ok, but if it is very light brown like more of a gray color or even kinda white, DO NOT RUN your engine again until all the areas prone to loose their seal are fixed or you will cook your engine and be looking at a rebuild or a new one.

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
I read somewhere that if you spray carby cleaner over the offending areas being careful not to let it go in the air filter otherwise it'll defeat the purpose anyway the motor should change its sound/revs if it sucks in the carby cleaner through little holes.
Personally I havent tried this one myself but i'd advise to do it when the motor isnt too hot unless u wanna lose the hair on ur face. lol

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
both of mine have always ran as you have described, to be sure you dont have an air leak and are running too lean just take out your spark plug and see if it is a nice medium brown color, if it is then you are probably ok, but if it is very light brown like more of a gray color or even kinda white, DO NOT RUN your engine again until all the areas prone to loose their seal are fixed or you will cook your engine and be looking at a rebuild or a new one.
I dont know if beentryin has a handle on his idle yet, but I took the advice and checked things out. I sprayed WD-40 when it was cold and got no changes at idle when cold. I checked the plug and it is rich. OK, no leaks and no lean condition. My carb cap is funky though and has the squared off threads so there are 2 openings. I plugged these up a while ago, but the cap was not screwed down far enough so the plunger sat a hair high. I didnt notice anything off until the weather got cooler.

My point is make sure you can adjust your idle too. If you cant then the carb cap might need a few careful turns even though the usual recommendation is to not overtighten. With cooler weather you might need adjustments.

Attachments

Last edited: