The world's gone stupid........

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Ever notice how few cashiers know how to make change? They hand you a bunch of coins and a few bills in a wad and it is up to you to see that it is correct.
SB
I once watched a little old lady trying to explain to a cashier how to 'count up' from the purchase price to the amount tendered. The look on the cashier's face was total boredom, maybe mild scorn. He refused to engage her at all. I remember thinking, "You're wasting your time, Ma'am. He doesn't want to know". It was nothing, really. Yet it was kinda sad all the same.

And one time I was in a Taco joint drive-thru. The kid at the window leaned out. He had the plastic sack with my tacos in both hands. One hand holding each handle. In one of his hands, also, was my change; a few bills and some coins. He had it half-way extended to me, when he stopped as if frozen and looked me right in the eye.

I looked back at him quizzically, eyebrows raised. (Maybe just one eyebrow. Like Spock. RIP) I was on the verge of asking, "Is something wrong?" when he looked down, tossed the bills and coins into the sack, and thrust it the rest of the way at me.

Momentarily dumb-struck, I took it. The kid pulled back in, closed the window and high-tailed it out of there as though the devil himself were after him.

I'm not one to say, "I demand to see the manager!" I've never done it. But I was thinking, "I really ought to complain about that". I hung there for a few seconds, but the kid didn't come back. I looked a bit for an 800 number on a window decal, or something along those lines. But I didn't spot anything.

And that gave enough time for a thought to grow in me. Either this young freak will grow and mature to the point that he doesn't do stupid stuff like that anymore or he'll wash out of a job as low and crummy as the Taco Joe drive-thru. Either way, I guess, he didn't particularly need any grief from me. So I separated the money from the shredded cheese and went on my way. Thankful that, for all of my occasional stupidity, I hadn't sunk that low.

Truth to tell, I might have been flattering myself. Because I have been pretty dumb at times.

For that matter, maybe he wasn't even being stupid. Maybe he was on the verge of a violent diarrhea attack. Just a guess there. But the symptoms would have been similar.

Maybe I can forgive him after all.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
One of the questions that I can no longer ask a potential associate is......"What is 42-17?" It would blow your mind to see how many college grad-u-idiots can't come up with the answer!! Many couldn't do it even with a pen and paper.

We should be scared...........very scared!
You're right, xseler. We should be scared.

Not long ago one of our local television stations showed a screen inviting people to apply for the position of staff meteorologist. But they spelled it 'meteoroligist'.

I said, "Huh! They spelled that wrong". There were about a half dozen people in the room. It happened to be silent at that moment. They heard me. They looked at me and they looked at the screen.

They made no comment. Their faces were blank. They didn't know who was right about that and who was wrong.

They also didn't care. Yes, it's a small matter that wouldn't seem to merit much concern. But it's indicative of something that has troubled me for some time; the people around me have little to no curiosity-for-it's-own-sake.

Isn't curiosity one of the defining characteristics of human beings? One of our most striking characteristics? Some animals also have an obvious sense of curiosity. Yet the curiosity of no other species has left such an astounding mark on the world as ours has. Yet the people around me (others, probably, as well) have no use for it whatsoever.

It's true that they are interested, to one degree or another, to learn about matters pertaining to their particular occupation. And a lot of them are interested in learning a great deal about the NFL or the NBA. A lot of people are quite interested in the fictional world in our television sets. But suggest that they amuse themselves with mathematics and they'll look at you as though you've come from Mars.

Ask someone you know a question like, "What's the difference between malevolent and malignant?" Your friends and family will usually try, at least, to explore the question with you. They'll do it out of loyalty to you. Not many of them will really get far, though.

Ask this question of a mere acquaintance and you're overwhelmingly likely to get, "I don't know" as the answer. Some of them will be indifferent about it. Others will be annoyed. They'll suspect that you have some ulterior motive for asking such a strange thing. Perhaps they instinctively fear that they'll be pinned down by the Socratic Method. It can't be conscious, though, because they don't know what the Socratic Method is.

Folks like Aristotle and the aristocracy of the middle ages felt that commoners were simply naturally lacking in curiosity, intellect and so on. They believed them to be more akin to animals than to themselves. But they were overlooking something important; these people had no access to esoteric information or musings. Mere subsistence, in fact, took so much of their effort that they'd have had no surplus time or energy to spend pondering the elemental nature of creation or other non-bread-and-butter issues.

But the modern age is different. Even those of us who are worked pretty hard and paid pretty little have access to, literally, far more information than we can possibly handle in a lifetime. Plus we have a bit of leisure to pursue it.

How many people do we know who go to Wikipedia and type, let's say, 'bolshevik revolution' or 'Themistocles' into the search box? I strongly doubt that I know a single person who does that. Perhaps a few of my more distant acquaintances. Yet what they could read there is far more interesting and enlightening than the garbage they swallow watching CSI:Miami. I know plenty of people who do that.

But before I get too worked up I ought to step back and remember that my perceptions might be based on incomplete information. I can easily see, for instance, that there are folks right here on this forum who go to places like motorbicycling.com or youtube to learn about motorizing a bicycle. This would certainly seem to be more akin to that curiosity whose lack I've been bewailing than it is to the anesthesia of the soul produced by too much television.

Perhaps those folks around me, who I perceive to be half-zombies, actually are exercising and stretching their brain muscles in ways that I'm simply not perceiving?

I sure do hope so. I wish I could see more evidence of it.

Could it be that the natural, average, level of curiosity in humanity is somewhat less than I believe it should be?

Or could it be that something in our culture is suppressing and suffocating what would otherwise be a healthy level of curiosity?

If the answer to that question is "Yes", then we'd be well advised to start investigating in order that we might find and eradicate this suffocating influence.

But that's sure to be a big, big job.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
My only cause for complaint would be the tense of the topic, that somehow such symptoms of silliness weren't present in the past, that the future should be without fault or failure, that we knew so much better back when.

It is so much easier to forget the fallacies our forebearers faced and facilitated, the mistakes we've made, the foolishness that founded this mess we now decry, that each preceding generation should condemn and criticize each successive generation only to find that then they in turn theirs.

Consider for a moment the gripes of your grandparents, what you may have thought before you gained the wisdom of why. Ask yourself who is responsible for educating these adolescents, what world did they inherit, what was done so that they must do better?

If the son should fail it is the fault of the father, to forget that forsakes our children to all the errors of our own, of which are the only ones we're familiar enough with to judge, should we not choose to forgo such inconvenient memories in our haste to judge all.

Yes, the world is populated by stumbling, fumbling, preposterous people - but we put them there so who's to say we were any less foolish then they?

The world may have changed but were we so very much wiser back then, when we were actually in the before? Would we act any differently then those now were we in their stead? To presume not is to overlook the obvious, that we are all the same, that it's only the situations, the trials of the times we find ourselves in that changes.

Think back & think hard, is the world today truly so much worse then way back when... or could it be it's also ever so slightly better, if in ways we choose to credit only to ourselves.

If we're to claim credit and find fault, gotta take the good with the bad ;)

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I took a job as an evening manager at a high-end grocery. Long story short, many of the young people at the registers couldn't count change.
With what I believed to be proper, but incredible support, the owners let me re-staff the entire front end. Not only my shift, but all shifts.
I was able to accomplish this in no time, due to a local university with a math club, and a couple of current cashiers who had been at it longer than I'd been an adult. Most employees stayed employed.
The check-out area was a nerd fest, yes. But you gotsta be able to count! (Besides, we all learned things from each other.)

But that's sure to be a big, big job.
I believe fractional reserve banking is the root of this many headed weed of a problem.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
One of the questions that I can no longer ask a potential associate is......"What is 42-17?" It would blow your mind to see how many college grad-u-idiots can't come up with the answer!! Many couldn't do it even with a pen and paper.

There's an easy way to do this and a hard way.

The easy way is 42-17 = (20-17) + 22 = 3 + 22 = 25

A lot easier than the other way eh?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I don't have enough fingers and the battery in my calculator went dead. I can't help you.

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm so lucky to live near the greatest, and probably last true hardware store in the world. They opened in 1955. The first time I went there when I was 15, and they had already been in business 13 years. They have men working there that know where everything in the whole store is, and you don't have to tackle them down to ask a question. You can walk around in there for hours looking for what you didn't know you needed. Plumbing, electrical, and air conditioning contractors buy parts there, not because they're cheap, but because they have exactly what you're looking for under one roof. A lot of what they sell if is more expensive than from you know where, but they have 50 times the selection. I have an account there, and they know me by name. There's always someone waiting at the door when you walk in to ask you if they can direct you to what you need.

When it's gone, I'm sure that'll be the last of them. I hope it lasts as long as I do. After that it won't matter to me anymore. It's Turner Hardware in Farmers Branch Texas.

"Over 100,000 Items in Stock!"

Come see what a REAL Hardware Store is all about.
All major credit cards accepted.
The un-common is commonplace at Turner Hardware!
At a"REAL" Hardware Store Expect..........
**To be greeted at the door.
**To find unusual and hard to find items.
**To buy nuts, bolts, and screws one at a time.
**A choice of higher quality.
**Us to be "in stock" not "out of stock".
**New merchandise you have never seen before.
**Fast accurate check-out.
**To be helped by a knowledgeable person if you need help.
**To find parts to fix a serviceable item rather than throw it away.
**To get in, get what you need, and get back on the job if time is of importance.
**To be appreciated.
**THANK YOU DEAR CUSTOMERS!!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The local Ace is really cool. They have one of those popcorn machines on a stand in there. You know a real one like the movies have. The pot in an enclosed space with doors and a scoop and some cones.

Every weekend the thing is full of corn, help yourself to as much as you want it's free. Nothing better than browsing the aisles munching down fresh hot popcorn eh?

I don't care if Home Depot has it for $2 less, Ace has free hot delicious popcorn!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My store usually has popcorn on Saturday mornings! Smells great! Only downside is cleaning up popcorn from a 125,000 sq. ft. floor.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm so lucky to live near the greatest, and probably last true hardware store in the world. They opened in 1955. The first time I went there when I was 15, and they had already been in business 13 years. They have men working there that know where everything in the whole store is, and you don't have to tackle them down to ask a question. You can walk around in there for hours looking for what you didn't know you needed. Plumbing, electrical, and air conditioning contractors buy parts there, not because they're cheap, but because they have exactly what you're looking for under one roof. A lot of what they sell if is more expensive than from you know where, but they have 50 times the selection. I have an account there, and they know me by name. There's always someone waiting at the door when you walk in to ask you if they can direct you to what you need.

When it's gone, I'm sure that'll be the last of them. I hope it lasts as long as I do. After that it won't matter to me anymore. It's Turner Hardware in Farmers Branch Texas.

"Over 100,000 Items in Stock!"
We have one very much like it. I rarely make the drive anymore to Boulder but Mc Gukin's woud probably be worth it.
https://store.mcguckin.com/inet/home.html

Tom

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
A few things that drive me crazy: if a store doesn't have something, the employee always says "we can order it for you"....HELLO - I can order it. Most likely I can get it quicker and cheaper if I ordered it, I just want to physical see it first.
Often I use things for purposes they weren't intended for. Why do the people at the hardware store alway ask me "what are you using it for?"
None of you bee's wax, thats what for.

And don't get me started on old ladies with coupons holding up the line at the grocery store
look, grandma, I'll give you the nickel you'll save on jello and cat food....I'll give you a whole sack of nickles, I have stuff to do!

Yeah, I'm a jerk I guess.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
What you'd call hardware stores in the US we call ironmongers here. Isn't that a lovely word, ironmonger? There are good ones still in existence in small towns, but in urban environments, they are exterminated by chains like Wilkinsons and their cheap but limited range of products. When you want a 3/8" widget flange instead of a 12mm, they're useless, but there's nobody else around locally to try.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Words are interesting creatures. Stained glass artisans were once called "glass mongers". I suppose there were all sorts of tradesmen "mongers" like fish mongers. I wonder how mongrel dog fits into the picture, if indeed it does. Low class mutts owned by mongers? And where, I say, have all the mongers gone? Long time passing...
SB

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
If you sell them in quantity, probably.
From the internerd:

monger (n.) Look up monger at Dictionary.com
Old English mangere "merchant, trader, broker," from mangian "to traffic, trade," from Proto-Germanic *mangojan (cognates: Old Saxon mangon, Old Norse mangari "monger, higgler"), from Latin mango (genitive mangonis) "dealer, trader, slave-dealer," related to mangonium "displaying of wares." Not in Watkins, but Buck (with Tucker) describes it as "one who adorns his wares to give them an appearance of greater value" and writes it is probably a loan-word based on Greek manganon "means of charming or bewitching." Used in comb. form in English since at least 12c.; since 16c. chiefly with overtones of petty and disreputable.

I dispute the "petty and disreputable", I've never met any sense of of -monger being anything less than a trader or dealer in things. This may say more about the snobbery of the writer than the character of the subject.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Mongrel from Dictionary.com:

Word Origin and History for mongrel Expand
n.
late 15c., "mixed-breed dog," from obsolete mong "mixture," from Old English gemong "mingling" (base of among ), from Proto-Germanic *mangjan "to knead together" (see mingle ). With pejorative suffix -rel. Meaning "person not of pure race" is from 1540s. As an adjective from 1570s.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
........look, grandma, I'll give you the nickel you'll save on jello and cat food....I'll give you a whole sack of nickles, I have stuff to do!

Yeah, I'm a jerk I guess.
Not necessarily.

If you actually give the little old lady a hard time about it, then (yes) that's "Jerk".

But if you stand in line thinking, "Every time I come in here the lines just move at a snail's pace", then you're just like all the rest of us.

Our retailers are to blame, of course. If they give it much thought, then they should know that more than one customer behind the one who is actually being rung up is enough to make people start feeling ill-treated.

Maybe we'd tolerate lines a bit longer if it weren't for cashiers who move so slowly (some of them every single time) that you can hardly believe it. Or missing bar codes that bring the line to a standstill for 10 minutes at a time.

Our local Wal-Mart here has gotten to be very bad about this sort of stuff. Getting out of there has become maddening. I'd like to go elsewhere, but there's not a whole lot of choices left these days.

One sad effect of all of this is that customers who aren't looking to cause trouble become reluctant to make any purchase that might slow things down. For fear of hostility from those behind them. One time at the local dollar store, the girl in line ahead of me rented a carpet shampooer.

This meant that the cashier had to step over to the display rack and it slowed down the checkout. Of course. But it wasn't bad. It only took a minute or so.

This girl acted nervous about it and, at one point, looked back at me and said, "Sorry...".

I told her that it's okay and that she wasn't doing anything wrong. When I got out to the parking lot I helped her load the machine into her car. I might've done so anyway. But in this case I was kinda eager to show her that there were no hard feelings.

The worst part about it is that she had at least some reason to be nervous. For all she knew the guy behind her in line might have gone off like a pressure-cooker bomb. It actually doesn't happen very often, of course. But our perception is that it is a risk. And people occasionally do get shot for something as trivial as this.

So the retailers really ought to put some resources into speeding things up.

But, also, us customers ought to relax a bit.