The start of my second build

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
This is the start of my second build. I'm pretty close to a test ride, all I have to do is mount the rear sheave and install the tightener. I'm making this one all by myself (with a little help from my dad). I've got a 1 1/2 horse Clinton engine I'm putting on it, and I'm keeping the pedals. Here's the start anyway, more pictures to come (when I get time to work on it haha)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That's a very unique frame you have built there, the motor seems very high in the frame, I guess that's why you have the swooping top tube. Does the motor Have to be mounted that high? The lower you can keep the mass the better handling you will have..... Either way I'm looking forward to your progress...... I love a belt drive, especially a DIY belt drive setup... Good luck

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
And I meant to ask what that motorcycle is in the background. It appears you are hand making a rear guard for it?????? Could we see some pics?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you have an oxy or have access to one you can bend your cranks to clear the engine..... I did it on my build..... I can post a picture tonight after work if u like

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Doesn't really matter, it just means you won't have a bike that looks like 99% of ours, yours will be unique...... And that's a good thing

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Hahahaha yeah, I guess you could say that, but unique runs in my family here's a pic of my dad's first homebuilt motorcycle (with me standing beside it). Plus the Art Deco bike I was telling you about, we have some unique stuff. Like a '76 Kawasaki with a homebuilt side-car. (I might post some pictures of that if I can find them).

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yeah, well uniqueness seems to run in my family, my dad built a WWI type bike first (here's a pic). We also have '76 Kawasaki with a side-car (that we put on :D), plus that Art Deco bike I was telling you about. I'll post some pictures of the Kawi if I can find them... That's me standing next to the bike (just so you know)

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
It's a 1918 Delco light plant motor, with the generator cut off. It'll go a blazing 28 MPH with a tail wind :) I don't have any more pics right now and it's all packed up in the shed, but when we get it out (probably in the next month or so) I'll take some pics and post them.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Please do, even start a thread for it would be cool..... I think a lot of people here will be interested in knowing more about it. Thanks man I look forward to hearing more

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
You could post it here, or even over in the Vintage and Boardtrack section where it will get a lot more attention. If admin or anyone else thinks it doesnt belong they will move it, everyone on here is very cool and supportive, unlike some other forums.

It looks like it doesnt have working pedals so its not really a motorized bike but a motorcycle like you said, but im certain everyone here will get a kick out of seeing it. I know im eager to see and hear more about it.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yeah, he didn't want pedals on it. He wanted it to look like a bike that a dispatch rider would have ridden in WWI. It's mostly a parade bike, also he wanted one to go along with our business. See, we make reproduction WWI helmets and liners (I'm home schooled so I help out a lot :D). Here's a link to some pictures of my dad's bike (this is our website too, feel free to check it out)

Military Reproductions

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Man, you guys are talented! That's the best old bike repop AND the best millitary repop bike I've ever seen, all in one.
Some serious craftsmanship goin on with yer millitary gear stuff too.
I commend you guys for doing a very unique, important and interesting job, of keeping history " alive" for us.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yeah, tomorrow I'll get some pics of it in the frame (if I can get to it). I'm not doing a frame tank, I think I'll just put the cylinder tank that was on the shroud back on it, less complications...