The most famous person you ever met

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I met Sinbad the comedian at the airport in Baltimore MD.
I Met him also, it's a funny story. When I lived in so cal I worked at a Chevron station ( sepulveda X chatsworth) and he pulled up in a brand new Jaguar and only had 2.00 on him for gas.

cosmickid

Sep 11, 2011
planet earth
A lifetime ago, I was picked up while hitch hiking by Ken Kesey & rode to Eugene, Orygun on Further with him & a bunch of Merry Pranksters.
Used to play music with Floyd "Red Crow" Westerman before he got into doing TV & movies.
Met Arlo Guthrie years ago, we talked about Woodie.
Met one of the survivors of the USS Arizona & one of the pilots who flew with Boyington in the Flying Tigers when I worked at a VA Domiciliary.
Met Buck Owens, he was a friend of my fathers before he became a star...

There have been others, Famous & Infamous that I've known along the way, but the
person I've been proudest to know is Esther Horne, the Great Granddaughter of Sacajawea.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The most famous person I've ever been literally introduced to was Nancy Reagan. She came to town during the 1976 primary season, campaigning for Ron.

I exchanged a few brief words with Jimmy Carter once. But it was from about 10 feet away and wasn't really a 'meet'.

And I spent a good deal of time chatting with The Lovin' Spoonful in the early 90s. The two guys who were the true creative force in the band were gone by then. It was 'the other guys', using the name. But it was a real pleasure to have a chance to actually talk to people who were in my LP collection, asking questions about the music and such.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The fog cleared a bit... Not exactly a meeting, but I recall a concert Harley and I had tickets for in '95.. it was right at the beginning of the tour, the act list included Ducette, Jefferson Starship, Procul Harum, and I think there was someone else...

The line-up calling themselves Jefferson Sarship was pretty good (if Grace Slick had been there to do vocals it would have been amazing). The guys from Procul Harum came out on stage after that, sat down and invited everyone up to the front of the stage and chatted with us between songs

Anyway. Ducette didn't show (no big loss).. in a venue that should have seated 7500 people, I think there were about 300 of us all together. It was the first or second show of the tour and I think that (1) it wasn't well promoted and (2) those who did hear about it didn't believe it was a real tour (the tickets were also pretty cheap).

That's when we were told that Jimmy (Ducette) said he wouldn't come out unless the venue was sold out, so he'd probably catch up in a month or so. So for an hour and a half we got to 'chat' with PH, hear some good tunes that might not normally be on a set list (as they played stuff that they liked to play, or that folks asked for from the middle of the 'B' side of an album, etc).

Very cool show.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think you'd need to be a sci-fi geek to know the guy I met. In my days as a middle-ages reenactor, I was asked to join some fellow musicians at a party in the Horde encampment (consisting of those whose personas were that of medieval Mongol barbarians). During breaks we listened to this hilariously crude punster named Yang the Nauseating. He was one sick dude. But very likable I thought. He and I bounced a few rotten puns back and forth at each other.
A couple years later I found out that he was none other than the famous science fiction author Robert Asprin. I had already read some of his "Myth" series and "Phule's Company" and "Thieves World" and I don't know what else. I probably would have made an utter and complete fool of myself if I'd known who he was when I was right there with him. I recently learned he died in 2008. :(

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
Pretty lonely out here! I did know one guy who helped set up the Enola Gay. And I bumped into Sandra Bullock in Omaha, all I could think of was "Man, that Jesse James is an IDIOT".

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Pretty lonely out here! I did know one guy who helped set up the Enola Gay. And I bumped into Sandra Bullock in Omaha, all I could think of was "Man, that Jesse James is an IDIOT".

LOL, right!? (about Ms. Bullack)

PS, My Grand Father was a CB and worked on the Enola Gay. He was a great Man.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I once picked up Andre The Giant when I was driving a taxi in Chicago. He was going to O'Hare from his hotel.
Dude was SERIOUSLY huge. He could hide a beer can with his palm.
You could tell he was in a lot of pain from all the years of wrestling and his skeletal condition.
Very nice man and a great tipper!

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Amazing, life again for a 5 year dead thread, but interesting, non the less. I attended high school with radio talk show host, Jim Bohannan. While in Vietnam in 1967' I had a projectionist license (no joke, the Army required one) so I was pressed into service to show movies in the officers mess two evenings a week. During a visit to our unit, Martha Rae was in attendance at a showing. During the movie the film broke, a usual occurrence. Ms Rae ran over to help??? Anyway, she pulled a chair over an talked to me the rest of the movie. Pretty nice lady, really had a heart for the troops.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The line-up calling themselves Jefferson Sarship was pretty good (if Grace Slick had been there to do vocals it would have been amazing).
Now that you mention it, I once came face to face with Paul Kantner. But since I didn't expect him I didn't realize my chance to speak with him before it was too late. I do remember having feeling of 'this guy's familiar'. Then the folks behind me said, "Hi, Paul". He answered "Hello everybody!". His speaking voice sounded just like his singing voice. And I knew right then just who I had passed up. A shame. I'd have been happy to have chatted with him a bit.

And a remarkably similar thing happened with Loni Anderson. I turned into an office doorway and went inside and walked over to the reception desk. Almost immediately the outside door opened and she walked along behind me and was immediately swallowed up in some people who were clearly waiting for her. I saw her in profile walking behind me while I looked over my shoulder at what was going on. She was completely recognizable. What strikes me as most odd is that I must have nearly bumped into her on the sidewalk and then allowed a door to shut in her face. Now I'm a guy who appreciates a pretty girl. I might not think of Loni as one of those girls I think of all the time since she had an 'artificial' appearance. But there's no denying she was attractive. How in the world did I miss her? Must have had my head in my armpit or something.

Both cases were about thirty years ago now. Mid 80s.

I attended high school with radio talk show host, Jim Bohannan.
I remember Jim Bohannon. Listened to him for years in the 90s. One of the better late night talk radio hosts. I remember when he nearly got caught in the Olympic Park bombing in '96.

He was on the Mutual Radio Network and I was amazed that that network even existed still at that point in time. But by the time I lost track of Jimbo, the name had changed to, I think, Westwood One. I suppose they bought Mutual and allowed that perfectly respectable piece of broadcasting history to 'snuff out'. A shame.

Still, Jim was good. I wonder if he's still active?

Moto pope

Mar 26, 2013
St. James, mo
Jimbo is still on every night. It was Westwood one, but I think it changed recently??? We listen almost daily, uh, nightly. Very intelligent guy, knows a lot about a lot. He is also on www. Does a web cast.

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
Years ago I was doing some volunteer stagehand work for a democrat rally and met Al Gore. The couple of days before and the day of the event I got to work with his Secret Service agent a few times. She was very easy on the eyes, especially with her thigh holster when she wore a skirt. Was a lot more fun meeting her, than him. :)

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Worked back stage at a concert venue in the 70's got to meet most and party with some of the bands, but Silverbear is the most famous guy I know!
Dan

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
I'm REALLY dating myself but I met and shook hands with Buffalo Bob and Clarabelle the Clown (from the Howdy Doodie Show) at the Amherst, Ma. Cinema in 1953.. Clarabelle went on to become Captain Kangaroo..

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Used to watch the captain every morning . I got a kick out of the unscripted laughter from the captain . Bunny Rabbit would try to express something to the captain and the puppet would start slamming itself on the counter to get its point across and the captain would just start cracking up and he could hardly continue . What a great show .

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Used to watch the captain every morning . I got a kick out of the unscripted laughter from the captain . Bunny Rabbit would try to express something to the captain and the puppet would start slamming itself on the counter to get its point across and the captain would just start cracking up and he could hardly continue . What a great show .
What about Mr. Greenjeans?

Anybody know or meet Mr. Ed.......the talking horse that is? Of course that was a different show altogether.....

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Capt. Kangaroo and ping pong balls? Who remembers that?

What was Bunny Rabbit always trying to get from the Captain?

And what did Clarabel the Clown always have with him? Hint: It came in a bottle.

Mr. Ed? All I seem to remember was that blond who was Ed's owner's, Wilber's wife. As I recall she something in common with Dolly Parton.

Tom

Last edited: