The 2010 4-Stroke in-frame Build-Off!

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Grampa's got one very cool bike! The tank is perfect and it looks like a really comfy ride. Your driven sprocket is even bigger than mine are (HS is 64 and HF is 65). Must be perfect for pulling hills with grand kids behind in their trailer. Great bike!
SB

dv8cam

Dec 15, 2008
Los Angeles
I was asked to post my stretch pics, but I had some pc probs and lost a bunch of pics,
so I downloaded them from the original build thread ;)
http://motorbicycling.com/f40/azbills-ezm-stretch-project-14760.html

all the details are in the build thread, so I will just post pics
Hey Bill,

Can you put me in touch with your brother? I need a similar tank made for my stretched cruiser. Did you make the bottom tube engine mount plate? If so, care to sell me one?

Thanks,

Alejandro

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Hey Bill,

Can you put me in touch with your brother? I need a similar tank made for my stretched cruiser. Did you make the bottom tube engine mount plate? If so, care to sell me one?

Thanks,

Alejandro
the engine mount is a simple piece of steel plate with 8 holes,,,4 for the muffler clamps, 4 for the engine ;)

as for the tank, I asked my son-in-law, he has a new job now and says he doesn't have the time ,,,sorry :(
(the girls and me have been waiting for months for him to complete their new trailer,,,basically finished, just needs a sheet metal skin)

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm submitting a second entry in the build off in whatever category is appropriate. Not too sure what the categories are.
This is a 1951 Schwinn with a cantilever frame, a Harbor Freight 79CC Greyhound engine and Qmatic transmission. I have a build thread on it located here...
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/greyhound-51-schwinn-cantilever-build-25200.html
I was only able to put 25 or 30 miles on this bike before winter spoiled the fun with snow and cold, but even without being broken in it has a lot of power from a dead stop on up and with the 65T driven sprocket it walks right up hills. This was meant to be a kind of utilitarian, low budget, do everything good looking bike and so far it is everything I hoped it would be. The frame was free and the springer fork required repair at a cost of $25.00. Another $20.00 was spent in paint (Wimbledon White Duplicolor rattle can, primer and clearcoat I had the tires and tubes, old handlebars and heavy duty front wheel. Got a low budget heavy duty rear wheel from bikeworldusa for about $50.00 if I remember right. Seat was free junk which I rebuilt and covered in elk hide, new foam grips also covered in elk hide. I had the set of Wald fenders which had been purchased for another bike last year, arrived bent by UPS from bikeworldusa and were replaced by them. I bent these out as well as I could and they are good enough for this bike. The engine was on sale and with a 20% off coupon came to $81.00. I made the cantilever front brake from a plate scavenged off a dump bike( new pads and hardware came to $13.00, made the front fender copper and jewel running light (clear faceted glass lens) and in back a combination brake/ taillight/ turn signal unit modeled after those on motorcycles. This unit is also made from copper and has three ruby stained glass faceted "jewels" as lenses, each with nine LED lights inside. I have a great fondness for copper and once had a stained glass window business, so do love the glass jewels. These lights are an extravagance and I don't like to admit that with everything I have around a hundred bucks just in materials invested in making them and many hours of fussy labor. But I like 'em and they are like a signature saying "Silverbear was here". Ha! Rear baskets were free from a dump bike. The behind the seat gas tank I made from a juice can and covered it in harness leather. The rear rack was free and came originally as a front rack on a girls Monark bike from the sixties. This winter I intend to make an in frame copper gas tank for this bike, but that won't likely be done before this build off is over. When I have that in place the rear tank will be auxiliary with it's own shut off petcock. Between the two it should have good range. The flex exhaust is from EZMotorbikes and is around $40.00. What transforms the inexpensive industrial motor into a cool bike motor is the Qmatic transmission. it might seem an extravagance, too, considering the low cost of the motor, but it is where the magic is on this build and makes an old bike and an industrial motor into a smooth running, dependable, fast motorbike capable of eating up hills. The transmission costs around $250.00 and in my opinion is worth every penny. It is very well made in America, has the best clutch out there and is guaranteed. It's bullet proof. I think the drive system is the one area where you don't skimp unless you are capable of making your own. I'm not. I got an adjustable pulley from Granger (about $25.00) for it so that I can fine tune the gearing for when I am in the mountains in the winter or in more level country in the summers. I wanted for this bike to be dependable transportation to take the place of my truck as much as possible. Now I have two very neat four stroke bikes and as weather permits, they will be primary transportation extending the life of my truck and reducing by a lot what I spend on gas. At one time I would have compared the costs with those of a China girl build and thought they were expensive, but it is apples and oranges and two very different things. For me, my two strokes are bicycles with motors. The four strokes feel more like light motorcycles. They are just different and what I imagine a Whizzer must be like. So, lets see what this bike came to. I'm adding in $10.00 for #41 drive chain. The rear sprocket came from an exercise bike and the rag joint hardware from an unused China girl kit. I made the motor mount using a couple hockey pucks and U bolts so add in another $15.00. I get a total of $596.00 which in my world is still a lot of money. But I think I ended up with a lot of bike for the money. If I hadn't done the lights it would have come in under $500.00. Pretty good. Hope you like the bike.
SB

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I really like the builds and think Azbill's tank looks perfect in that bike. That tank shows some nice fab skills.

SB your bikes always look so good. It's a joy to read your post.

Wish you guys were local, it would be nice to ride together.

CCC

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the complimentary and kind words you guys. Coming from you three it means a lot. Yes, I'm pleased with it and am thinking about another one this winter if I can finance it. Part Schwinn, part moped and probably with a Greyhound/Qmatic powering it. I want to see if I can bring the cost down some more while bringing the quality up using some old moped parts. I know the next Greyhound will be much easier than this one was.
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I'm a little late to the party here, as I just bought a 79c Greyhound last week and I plan to use this Shelby Traveler for my build. This will be a winter project, so if there is a 2011 build-off I'll be able to enter it then.

Attachments

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm a little late to the party here, as I just bought a 79c Greyhound last week and I plan to use this Shelby Traveler for my build. This will be a winter project, so if there is a 2011 build-off I'll be able to enter it then.
Very nice Chris, looks like a nice roomy engine compartment as well, can't wait till Winter's gone to see the end result....have a fun build!
SO-

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Boy, that's a nice bike. Is that a skip tooth? Any idea what year it is?
SB

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi Every One
I would like to officially enter my bike in this build off. The bike I am entering is code named Tanner after my new born son. You can see pics of this entry in the cruiser bike section. I will submit the final pictures and video in a few days.
Cheers
Terry

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Boy, that's a nice bike. Is that a skip tooth? Any idea what year it is?
SB
SB, I think the bike is prewar, and it is skip-tooth. Because of the changes needed for the Greyhound engine (wide sprocket, etc) I'll be pulling the skip-tooth chain and sprocket off and going with a 1/2" pitch chain (along with a modern heavy duty rear rim with Shimano coaster).

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Here's my late entry. I built the frame fro scratch. All 4130 aircraft tubing, brass brazed. Engine is an EH035 Subaru driving the left side crank. 24 engine-driven speeds. Recently rode it from san diego to las vegas in 2.5 das. Averaged 25mph pulling a 60lb trailer. Staton gearbox geared to spin the cranks at 100rpm at peak power.