The 180 mile burger run

GoldenMotor.com

bugler1

Apr 30, 2009
ARIZONA
A 180 mile run for a burger may seem a bit much to some of you but I would have to guess that you have never had a burger from the Snow cap burger joint in Seligman Arizona. More than the great burger was that I was jonseing for a nice long ride. So with the bike loaded for a two day run up old Route 66 I headed out for the open road once again. This is one of the longest sections of old Route 66 left, from Kingman AZ. to Seligman AZ. it is 70 miles. The pavement is in good condition over all there are a few sections that are worn very smooth and feel a little slick until the tires and the road start to warm up, there is also a wide burm on each side of this two lane road. This is always a good ride as there are not too many steep hills to pull the hardest hill you will have to pull is a 6% grade as you go through Peach Springs, my bike loaded as heavy as it was made the hills with power to spare thanks to my 50 tooth gear. Even If you don't have a large fuel tank on your ride you should be able to make this run as you will pass though a few small Townes on the way. After a few quick stops for water and photos I pulled in to the Snow cap for my burger and fries this place is a stop for the tourist buses and is always busy but the food is great and the service is fast, this is one of my favorite places to show off my bike I park my ride right out front so it's very visible and eat out side at a table by it, you see I love to show off my bike and answer questions about it and pose for photos with it my wife blames this behavior of mine on me not being held enough as a baby but that's a subject for another time. After my fill of burgers and fries and hamming it up for the tourist cameras I headed to the Grand Canion Caverns to camp for the night they have a hotel here also if you are not a sleep on the ground sort. For anyone who likes caves this is a great place as they have two different types of guided tours in the cave one long and one short tour. After a good night sleep I broke down camp and headed for Kingman thinking of what excuse i can come up with next for the wife on my next run ...no really baby the only place I can get one of those is in Tose New Mexico, I will be back in a few days...Hmmm maybe it could work.

Attachments

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
I just love these stories! Looked like you had the road to yourself in the 3rd shot! How do you secure the bike while you are sleeping? Do you chain it to something?

bugler1

Apr 30, 2009
ARIZONA
Yes the road did not have a lot of people on it as this trip was not done on the weekend . I secured the bike to to the table there at the camp sight that night I also have a keyed ingition switch that cuts off the coil power, you can just see it in photo # one it's secured in the faring that is below the fuel tank alonge with the coil.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
Thanks for shareing such a great experience with your bike. I often take time to answer questions for people. The better the preception the better the acceptance of this sport/hobby. Maybe that will translate into the laws staying out of this great sport/hobby.usflg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm so jealous. My longest rides are usually to the library...6 miles from home. The idea of treking off on a run like yours looks like fun. Congratulations. Keep those stories coming. They fire the imaginations and fantasies of us neighborhood bound wanna bes.
Tom

easyrider1

May 15, 2009
central ill.
kewl! curious, what fuel mileage did you get with that load? is that a brain bucket on the picnic table? that a law in ariz.? great story, sound like something i would do but would have to fish along the way.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Wow, what a great ride! I'm looking forward to doing some long distance riding once I get my EZ Motorbike built.

bugler1

Apr 30, 2009
ARIZONA
The fuel milage dropes down to about 80 or so miles to the gallon when the bike is loaded like you see it in the photos. And yes that is a brain bucket on the table. Arizona does not have a helemet law, but I always wear one anyway I went down hard once in Germany on a wet cobel stone road and almost lost my left eye I did not have a helemet on at the time but I think one might have helped.