Thatsdax Stock Exhaust Troubles

GoldenMotor.com

Squirrelly

Feb 18, 2011
Kansas
A month ago I got my Dax in frame 2-stroke 47cc kit. I've been riding for two weeks about three to five miles a day. Before every ride I make sure everything is tightened up properly and that nothing looks "out of the ordinary" and that I have no rattles. Here is my bike with everything properly installed.

Two days ago I was riding and at the very end of the right about two blocks from my house my bike starts sounding like somebody weed-whacking a metal pole: in other words a very loud metallic ringing sound. I pulled the clutch, shut off the motor and pedaled the rest of the way home. My first guess was the exhaust, because whenever I put my foot on it the vibration stopped. I took off the exhaust and noticed the top screw had fallen out. The two lower schools were in there very tight. I figured it would be an easy fix, find an identical screw and the vibration would stop. However I discovered upon removing the exhaust that there was a system of parts inside (baffles and whatnot) shaking up and down several inches. I can't pull off the tip even with all three screws out to fix it either... it seems to be jammed in there and the bolt on the tip of the exhaust is actually a rivet. My parts are under warranty, but is there anything I can try to do to fix it before I mail Dax the defective part back?

I would like to ride to and from campus ASAP again, it is so nice outside. (I'm also a mechanical engineer with limited tools)

Wat do?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well from the first pic here I think I'd be a little more concerned about shortening your chain, than worrying about your muffler noise. Remove some of your chain links and properly adjust or remove the tensioner if need be.

I'm not so sure your muffler is the culprit here. I'd put the screws back in and tighten them and go for a ride and re-evaluate the noise.....if it's not the chain or the muffler, I'd suspect the motor mounts.

If it's the muff, I'm sure Dax will take care of you, but get on the chain issue first.

Squirrelly

Feb 18, 2011
Kansas
The chain got some slack after I adjusted the motor mounts around; that's fixed now. The muffler is the 100% the problem. Like I said, the squeak quiets down when I press my shoe on it. I even took the muffler off and the muffler was squeaking and dinging in my hand. Luckily after I called Dax everything was okay and a new muffler is coming in the mail soon. Problem solved I guess... when the new one comes in the mail I'll have to be very, very cautious. Apparently the catalytic insert come loose pretty easily in black cat exhausts. When I get more time and access to better tools I'll probably built and tune my own eventually