Tensioner or No Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
It appears that my chain just continues to derail from the drive sprocket on the rear wheel when using the tensioner. However, without the tensioner the chain seems to stay snug, but I think I need to remove one link. The issue, however, is that I can only remove two links (as one link is not an option), but removing two will make the chain too short.

So, the simple question. Do you guys recommend using the chain tensioner if it's not necessary, and if you do, what is the best way to employ it so that it actually does its job and doesn't derail the chain. I just can't seem to get the chain lined up in the right direction. And boy oh boy, when she derails it makes a mess of things by putting a lot of force between the back wheel and engine :eek::eek::eek: resulting in a violent snap that just can't be good for things.

Last edited:

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
Yep I did do that when I had my first engine mount setup and I still had troubles getting everything lined up just perfectly...She sure is tricky...

What size are the chains that come with the kits from Dax?

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Use thin .030 thick steel shim cut into a T shape.

Put the shim in between the rear mount bolck and the engine.
The skinny part goes in between the studs.
The top of the t sits on top of the studs.

That should push the motor forward enough to get allmost 1 link of play out of the chain.

I dont use a tensioner but my sprockets are lined up really good.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Speedster, There's a lot of reading and information/opinions to look through. You might find an answer regarding the dreaded tensioner question. This issue has been at the top of the controversy list from day one. You'll need to form your own opinion and maybe use some creativity to get what you want and need. Good luck.
Tom

speedster239

Nov 26, 2009
Torrance, CA
Thanks guys. I was able to find that perfect adjustment once again. I noticed that a lot of the issue has to do with using the tensioner to create too much tension and thus the chain travels without enough play and easily jumps the sprocket. I realized that I needed to use the tensioner to just simple guide the chain, but not force up to hard against it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I always vote adjust the rear wheel for the motor chain put the tensioner on the pedal side. Almost on strain on it there.