Student-designed bicycle device designed to save lives

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is pretty cool Bill.

I was thinking it should be rear facing but dunno.

Up my way, it is law that a motorist is supposed to give a bicyclist and some one on a motor driven cycle 3 ft of room passing space. (Law here defines bikes, mopeds and MBs as the same thing under 5HP) They of course don't or don't know to. But was thinking a red bike flag off-set on the rear of the bike about eye height to a car driver to give them a guide to pass a lil further away.

But that is really cool and thanks for posting.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
In Europe, there are plastic white flagstaffs with red reflectors, that extend to the side of the bike that traffic passes on. They attach to rear cargo racks, and flex or break if stricken by a car.

I have seen American cyclists using red or orange swimming pool toys , foam noodles, attached to the rear rack for the same purpose.

thedude

Sep 10, 2011
San Francisco
Wow bill, thats a great find. Really cool invention she came up with. I would like to combine it with the LightLane, bike lane that travels with you that was linked from that page you gave us. That way you have a virtual bike lane in red and a bicycle caution sign in bright green. Seems like a great way to "claim my space on the road", and keep myself visible to drivers. Hopefully these systems will not be to costly.

Reactions: Denis Zen