Street Legal E-Bike

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In NC he is right, it is not an ebike which has the same rules as a bicycle, it is a moped which has the same rules as a china girl bike or a scooter. Motorcycle helmet ect.

In nc an ebike has to be 700 watts or less, this one is 1300... it has to clock less than 25mph on the flat. so this one wouldn't stand the test. However that said, the bike would be judged as a moped. At the moment all you have to do is wear a helmet to be street legal on a moped. But registration, insurance, and driver's license is inevitable. It's just a matter of time. I'm hoping the ebike avoids that forever, but I doubt it.

The problem with mopeds is that they are getting popular. It is just a matter of time until the unpaid damage claims climb high enough for the insurance companies to lobby for more regulations. They tried but the cry against it was large enough to vote it down. Once the public turns against the scooter, they will take us all down with the rogues. (sorry Sarah)

That is not to say I don't love the idea of more speed. I am running a labeled 600 watt motor at 900watts myself. I still don't break the 25mph rule, so I manage to have the cops avoid me. I also have the DIY look about it.

fleebell

Nov 5, 2009
Wilmington NC
I would like to have the motor in another bike. I don't like the styling on that one. I have to agree , it wouldn't qualify as an ebike in NC but then again most of the police I that have seen mine don't pay any attention at all other than to ask what it cost to put a motor or engine on one. I have a tadpole trike with a 49cc pocket bike engine and a dual drive e scooter with a 500w on the rear and a 250w on the front.
We have 150 cc scooters without tags running all over Wilmington and the police ignore them completely unless they get into an accident.... then they get fried... no tags, no insurance, no license (most of the time) etc.....

Lee
packrat workshop index

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I once lived in Wilmington for a few years great place.

Yeah the problem with running illegally is that when you screw up, they tend to load you down with violations. Not to mention the lawsuits for damages. If you get convicted in traffic court for a violation, it automatically makes you lose the civil suit as well. Unlicensed and uninsured makes you liable even if HE runs the stop sign.

I run a 600 watt electric scooter motor at 24v at 36v. The motor is labeled 600watts so if the policeman doesn't count the batteries I'm bullet proof. If he does. I might have a bit of a problem. I have toyed with the idea of moving back to a gasoline friction drive motor, but it's the helmet law that stops me. Well not really...

I only use mine to ride a couple of miles, so I have plenty of juice for it. When next the legislature takes up license and registration requirements for the mopeds, whose numbers are climbing daily, I don't have to write angry letters to the editor. The maintenance is negligible, except I keep making improvements that turn out to be useless. Once the bike is setup right, it requires almost no maintenance. I have two bikes each with it's own battery pack.

If I did have to go two places, one right after the other, I could just switch out bikes ride one while the other recharges. If I need to go a greater distance than say seven miles, I can combine the battery packs and ride the bike about fifteen to twenty miles.

One of the bikes pulls a small trailer just for one battery pack, the other pulls a trailer with a big basket that will hold a second pack or groceries should I need to pick up something at the store. More likely something from the hardware store.

All in all the ebikes I have now are pretty much what I need. Yes I would like to have one that would take me on a road trip but alas ebikes have not come that far yet.

Gabriel Velomotor

Dec 25, 2009
Argentina
Hi bro!, a friend in china, told me that all the ebikes will change to motorcycle, in legal terms, on january 2010!!!
what about USA? I'm from argentina, we are so retarded!!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Last I heard there are still three categories. Bicycle under 700 watt less than 25mph must have working pedals

moped... over 700 watt and still under 25mph on the flat. may or may not have pedal power.

Motorcycle any watt, any speed, no pedals.

That's the best I can tell from the available information.