Staton and NuVinci for heavy use in the field

GoldenMotor.com

JamesBlond

Aug 12, 2009
I travel.
I have been considering a motored bicycle, specifically the Staton with NuVinci hub, likely the Subaru 33 or Mitsubishi 43. Leaning towards the Subaru, but could be convinced otherwise.

I have a long-ish hilly commute on paved roads, and otherwise I work largely in the outdoors... so what to do! I need something dependable and versatile - as a get around in the field (i.e. the great outdoors), and also just to get "to the office" on-time!

Essentially my home is in the flats, but my work is waaaay up a mountain road. I stay up there several days a week, so I commute only 3 or 4 time a week. While up there I want good transportaion I can rely on, too..

Anyway, to get up the mountain, it's about 35 miles and much of it is paved unused switchbacks that must be driven fairly conservatively when in my Volvo. I.e. not toooo fast. How will this bike perform, if loaded with some touring bags etc? I like to tour and pedal as well, so I hope to do that, but foremost I am looking for a bike that can also take the sting out of the commute costs, and have fun while doing it, and still bring my needed gear for the given expedition etc. And dare I ask about a trailer? Trailers would be purely optional, not a must-have, but fun.

One other question is regarding frames: I will build heavy tires, 4x brakes (for coming home!), etc, but would the Montague MX "folder" frame work? I have seen a 'hummer' that apparently still folded... I love this bike and it would be my first choice for convenience. I also like how many kits come a bit further forward on the back wheels, when installed on this style of frame. I'm thinking of the weight distribution. Otherwise it would be a full suspension for me, if I chose not to use the Montague.

I'm really hoping to confirm my hopes that this will be a good system, as I hope to just build a great bike, not do a half job of it at first. Without a community like this, I would likely not be successfully! Thanks in advance for any beta you can provide!

JamesBlond

Aug 12, 2009
I travel.
with hills involved, i have one word for you:

BRAKES

Especially if you are going to load your bike with touring bags

Yea I was going to have GEBE do a brake hub and complete wheel for the front, and also have like 3: calliper shoes for the rims.... or perhaps a disk. Not sure which would be better, but I assumed the GEBE complete wheel hub would be pretty good.

On the back, whatever the Nuvinci will accept and also rim brakes, same as front.

Just those pinacle ebay brake handles.

What do you think? .trk

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
sounds like a good plan. but in my experience:

Downhill angle + Strong front brake system = Facial Road Rash

make sure you have more braking power in the rear.

when i made my bike, the only thing i could use are side pull cantilevers. but i set them up so the rear brake tightens first and puts drag on the bike before the front brake really kicks in. BTW, i didnt notice if you posted this or not, but make sure you at least have a front shock fork installed, otherwise the vibration from the engine and the bumps in the road will make you cry after the 4th or 5th ride! lol