Sprockets?

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The more teeth you have on the rear sprocket the more pulling power, and lower your top speed. 40 is a good happy medium for most, but the stock 44T is fine 99% of the time. a 36T can be a bit of a drag if you are hefty or have a lot of hills.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Some things to consider, weight, Hills?? type of trail, sand, clay dirt, what engine etc... I had a 56T on a 2 stroke 80cc MTN bike, 'bout pull your arms off. top speed about 20ish same bike with a 41T rear, goes ~ 35mph, best bet is a shift kit, you can have torque and speed too.

adamg4119

Sep 24, 2009
Illinois
I think im going to invest in a 40. My stats:
6'7"
220 ~ 225 lbs
49cc motor from boygofast
asphalt roads
i currently have a 36 (which is why i want to replace it) on my little 49er, and i dont know if shifting on them is legal in illinois

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
41 or 44T is a good ball park sprocket for almost all applications. Rider weight, terrain etc considered these two sprockets cover the majority of needs. If you want more top end on flat ground with lower engine RPM, then go lower tooth count. On the other hand if you're looking for better hill climbing ability...then increase the sprocket size. Think manual transmission in a car. Low gears= better starting touque and more pulling power...higher gears= lower engine speed and more top end. Just keep in mind that higher gearing means less teeth, lower gearing means more teeth or sprocket diameter. Sounds backwards, I know, but that's the facts.
Tom

Last edited:

Halfzipp

Sep 8, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Or you can use both 36 and 44 in a easy way, like i have done
Hey max350, great idea youve got there. Ive just one question though. How are you switching between the two? Do you switch them by hand, or do you plan on creating some sort of derailleur?

Thanks,

Hz
cflg

max350

Apr 10, 2010
Sweden, Örnsköldsvik
Hey max350, great idea youve got there. Ive just one question though. How are you switching between the two? Do you switch them by hand, or do you plan on creating some sort of derailleur?

Thanks,

Hz
cflg
Hey! Its fun that you like my twinn sprocket idea. Yes i switch it by hand, just take away some links(or ad) and adjust chain tensior. At this moment i have 36 for highway drive and have change to 48 for driving in the woods. I have no plan for changing spocket when i am driving, i think its to complicated, its not as simpel as change gear on a bike!