sprocket mounting for hf 99?

GoldenMotor.com

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
I'm almost ready to start my build, going to pick up my frame from the welder on Saturday. Also going to see my dad's 1983 Honda CR 480 that he's finished building. I call second ride! Anyway, I was wondering if I could get away with a rag joint for a while. I will upgrade the spokes, but I don't have the $ to get a worksman yet. I'm going to fab up everything for it, DIY jackshaft and custom cast aluminum mount to save $. Btw I do custom cast aluminum stuff so hit me up if need one of a kind parts. Business is really slow... Also do you think using a v belt and tensioner will work well as a clutch? I hate automatics and once again scimping to save $. Really like the added control of a manual clutch, not to mention safer if the throttle sticks or something. Another great thing is I might be able to bump start like the HT's and get rid of the pull start for less weight and I hate the look of the pull start and slimmer so I might not need wide an extra wide BB. So what do the pros think?

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
Rag joints work for awhile on smaller four-strokes (50cc or smaller) because you don't have to bump start all the time. It really depends on the spokes. While it is always recommended to go to some type of solid sprocket mount, here are some things to help make the rag joint more reliable:

-Use 12G spokes if you can
-Make sure that the rim is true and all the spokes are properly tightened
-Install the rag joint evenly- without wobble- and tight. This will make sure that the rag joint grips ALL of the spokes and not just a few.
-Check and re-check spokes often to be sure they stay tight!

Keep in mind, this works with a 50cc huasheng pull-start as long as you stay on top of the spokes and don't allow them to get loose- this is when they will fail. Since you are running 100cc (I imagine that you will want to use your power), as well as bump starting, I would look at some type of solid mount asap.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
ok, well that sux. looks like i need a new hub then. OUCH!, my wallet... i do have a mongoose POS bike with a disc brake hub that i might be able to convince my dad to let me part it out, but i think the bearings would blow very quickly. i wonder if i could get a used worksman. then how do you mount a sprocket to a worksman? More wallet pain? i think i will just go with a disc brake hub and make an adapter for the sprocket. probably the cheapest way to get a good reliable setup. and after looking at other builds, it looks like quite a few others have done a clutch using a belt and tensioner. so now i just need to sell a lawnmower and rc car to fund the project.

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
now i just need to sell a lawnmower and rc car to fund the project.
LOL

The rag joint may work for awhile, but to be able to utilize/ride your 100cc to its full potential I think it would be a good idea to solid mount. There is the top-hat adapter that allows you to bolt to disc rims. Sportsman Flyer Bikes makes some really nice sprocket adapters, as well as others listed on the site. You could also go with a grubee HD hub or complete rim... they have cartridge bearings rather than cup and cone as well as an option for a solid or freewheel mount.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
hmmm i seem to be having trouble finding somewhere that sells the grubee hub. anybody know of a good place?
edit: never mind, found blowbyu. thanks for the tip on the grubee axle!

Last edited: