Spooky tooth conversion kit... Vintage 30's cruiser to trike?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm wondering if anyone has used the spooky tooth conversion kit to change a two wheel into a three wheel bike. If so, what are your experiences and would you recommend it?

Tricycle Conversion Kit for Bicycles & Motorized Bicycles

What I'm daydreaming about is a vintage balloon tire cruiser bike from the 50's or earlier converted to a trike. Could a 2.125 set of tires fit on the rims they supply with the kit? (What comes with the kit are 1.175 rims.) Partly I'm thinking about older or disabled riders who still want a classic old cruiser. I was looking at a 40 Schwinn "New World" step through bike I picked up a few days ago and picturing it as a three wheeler... very stylish looking and a super strong frame with all the room you'd want for an in frame motor, even a 4 stroke.
I'm also jumping ahead some years to a time when my partial paralysis in my legs/feet might get worse and I can no longer ride one of my two wheeled cruisers. Three wheels would keep the wind in my face. I want to still be riding for as long as possible... into my eighties anyway. It's kind of fun imagining one of the old Scwinn or Elgin step through bikes with a four stroke and three wheels or even my Worksman cruiser or 50 Panther made into a trike. So, what do you think? Maybe Spookytooth would sell the kit minus their wheels so that I could use a heavy duty set of 24" worksman or Husky wheels instead. Or maybe with there being two wheels in back instead of one lighter spokes would be OK. If anybody has already done this kind of conversion on a vintage bike I'd love to see it. Can't help it; I just like the old timers...
SB

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
here are couple of pics of my trike the people at usabikemotors.com built my trike is a 1950-1960 monterey murray cruiser i really like it theres alot of things you could to with a trike i have done lots of upgrades on this lots more coming soon i really like it because i could go to the store and do my thing and go home well hopefully this help and hopefully you like the pics the people that build my trike they own a couple of trikes with a gas/electric convertion since hes getting to that age

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You may want to take some measurements SB, with a trike conversion you may be able to put the motor in the back between the seat tube and stays.

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Ebay has complete trike kits for 199 with 1 speed or 3 speed for few dollars more. I have 24x3 tires on my kit. Love it!
Already looked into mounted the engine in the back, will require custom mounts but doable!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I sent Spooky tooth an e-mail a couple months ago about buying one of their kits with out the wheels No Dice !! I have a link somewhere for a DIY trike conversion somwhere Ill try to dig it up. Its Made from some old bike parts.
Cheers

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Here is that link I told you about UNIVERSAL TRIKE ADAPTER If You can weld it seems like a no-brainer !! If Your deceide to build somthing let Me know I have the free-wheel adapters in 5/8 and 1 in .75 in, that adapt a shaft to a freewheel axel just catching dust. I think I also have a 5/8 disc brake adapter, and a 8 speed freewheel mounted on an 5/8 adapter.
Cheers

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thats pretty much the same kit as spooky tooth. You would still need to make accomodations for the drive chain from the motor to the axel, My opinion homemade jackshaft plenty of room back there to run a 6 inch mini-bike / go kart jack shaft.

Cheers
Chainmaker

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Why run a jack shaft? I've seen it done with a bare hub mounted where the wheel originally went and just mount sprockets on the spoke flanges. Pedal chain to the freewheel or coaster sprocket, RH bolt on goes to the wheel axle and mount your motor sprocket on the left flange.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Why run a jack shaft? I've seen it done with a bare hub mounted where the wheel originally went and just mount sprockets on the spoke flanges. Pedal chain to the freewheel or coaster sprocket, RH bolt on goes to the wheel axle and mount your motor sprocket on the left flange.
Basically You are using the hub as a jack-shaft..Same thing different pieces
Cheers

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Keep talkin' you guys. I'm listening and taking notes. The conversion kit on ebay looks good, but I'm still not clear on how you would mount the sprocket for the engine drive chain. Has anyone here used this?
SB

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
either go with jackshaft kit and leave it to the right side or use manic adapter on the hub to mount the spocket to it. I am going with jackshaft kit next time so i can get the 3 speed hub. The one i have is welded on and it make it look like ****! I think manic would save alot of time n headaches.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
City of Angels,
Awesome bike. I remember your original thread and really like it.

AzToker,
Any pictures of your bike?
SB

Anybody, how differently did your bike handle after the change from two to three wheels?
SB

AzToker

Feb 28, 2010
Too Stoned, Az
Go to the trike section and scrool down to the trike from spooky tooth. That the army trike i got from them.

Not too much different, just gotta go slow in the cornors or u will tip it over . Same with go over a curb at a angle, just lean in on the side that goes up first.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Ok, what you do is take a bare hub, center the motor sprocket on the spoke flange, drill through both the sprocket and flange then bolt them together. You'd do the same thing to the right hand of the hub to run the drive chain back to the trike axle.

The nice thing about this setup is if you want to change to a 3 speed, 5 speed derailleur or whatever hub you don't need to find a whole wheel or have your hub re-laced into a wheel OR have to order a new adapter you just bolt on your sprockets, mount up the hub and go.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
whats wrong with a jacksshft my trike was built with a jacksshft and i really like it like az toker say it took a while to get used to it but once you get the hand of it is pretty easy after that just becarefully when you to a sharp turn other than that have a blast

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Nothing wrong with a jackshaft, it's just the fact that most everyone has hubs and sprockets laying around. Why buy stuff to make a jackshaft when you can build a hub setup out of spare parts. :D

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
sorr yi misunderstood the question it is true you could make one out of spare parts but i am not talented enough with tools or math thats why i had mine built

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Keep talkin' you guys. I'm listening and taking notes. The conversion kit on ebay looks good, but I'm still not clear on how you would mount the sprocket for the engine drive chain. Has anyone here used this?
SB
If it were mine I would built one of the UNIVERSAL TRIKE ADAPTORS With the seven speed sproket like it shows. Then just use a jack shaft set up like a shift kit. I am sure you could find someone to weld the things together after you get it all cut and fitted......Curt