some weird stuff going on

GoldenMotor.com

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
so i recently installed a 49cc kit on my bike, it runs, with a bit of persuasion. however theres a couple things ive noticed that make me wonder:

1) if im rolling along and i disengage the clutch the motor idles nicely, just needs a slight rev every five seconds or so so it doesn't stall, but as soon as i stop the engine stops, even though the clutch is disengaged fully and im revving the ****e out of it

2) when accelerating from a stop/slowly rolling, the engine makes a loud whiny sound that goes away almost completely once i gain some speed

3) there is black oily goo coming from the head gasket area. upon closer inspection there is a small gap between where the cylinder head attaches to the rest of the engine, i can see right through the gap around the corners. i tried tightening the bolts but they are as tight as they can be and there is still a gap. still runs for some reason, despite the little gap.

4) i noticed when riding that once in a while there is a louder than usual popping sound and a momentary loss of power.

5) inconsistent operation, sometimes it runs great, sometimes lousy, what gives?

6) some fuel is leaking out of the carb on the primer/idle screw side, not a lot, but its there. doesn't look like is coming from the fuel line or where the carb attaches to the manifold.

any ideas?

Mike Hunt

Jun 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
running rich as in too much oil or not enough air?

will that liquid gasket stuff in a tube help with the leak, or is it better to replace it?

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
running rich as in too much oil or not enough air?

will that liquid gasket stuff in a tube help with the leak, or is it better to replace it?
If you are running any richer than 24:1 you are too rich in oil but, I am thinking your float is sticking once in awhile causing a too rich in fuel mixture from you description.