Soda Bottle Fuel Tank Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Just a pic of the adapter I made to use a soda bottle with my EH035 engine. Uses the standard POC 1881 bottle size.

Last edited:

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The beer greases the wheels, the Mt. Dew motivates.

Actually, the whole need for this was my tours often require shipping the bike or traveling on a bus or a train. None of those allow containers that have had fuel in them. No gas tanks allowed. So this allows me to arrive, unpack the bike, buy a bottle of soda, drink it, then just use that as my fuel tank. No hassles with shipping that way.

Every 7-11 keeps an assortment of fuel tanks in stock.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Market this item. I would buy one if the price were right, just because I love way out gas tanks. Make them out of plastic even.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
There was a guy that posted the question a while back if anybody had an easily removable fuel tank. It sounds like you solved his problem with great aplumb.

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Deacon. If you PM me a shipping address, I'll send you one for free to test if you'd be willing to give feedback. (I made a few...the joys of cnc).

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
That would work. The problem, though, is that the seal in the cap wasn't designed for very many seal/unseal cycles. So you'd probably have to make a new one every so often. Plus the caps are thin, so getting a stout connection with the fittings is difficult.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Tell you what, I am in the middle of testing a bike. I am going to need a new tank so give me a day or two to figure out the placement and I'm all for it. I love to give feed back. Can you mount the battle on it's side or does it have to be straight up.

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Deacon: Side-mount should be no problem. Even upside down will work. it's an air-tight seal. If you're not using a diaphragm type carb with a return line, you'll need to run a vent hose someplace higher than the top of the fuel level. I'll include a drawing.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Maybe I can fill the bottle about 3/4, then put the plug on and use the air trapped inside the bottle to force the gas out if I have it high enough. Maybe it won't lock up. Why not put some water in a bottle about 3/4 full put the cap on and see if it will run out freely without a vent. That would give us the answer wouldn't it.

Also I bet that is the same size lid as an oil bottle, which is heaver than the coke bottle. I can also play around with it to see what all it will fit. I like this idea more all the time.

Last edited:

wileydavis

Nov 22, 2010
Bozeman, MT
The nice thing about the soda bottle, is that it was designed to be pressurized. A soda bottle is an amazingly strong thing. A water bottle or an oil bottle is not designed to hold pressure, which can occur when your tank heats up in the sun.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I see what you mean. Yes it has the single big line like the china kit line. The vent shouldn't be a problem if the big line will seal on the small fitting.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It the 1/4 inch line yes and I can figure a vent out no problem. I just needed a minute to think about it. I have plenty of the really small tubing I'll just plug one and put a pin hole in the line near the end the run it along the bottle. So that when it flips it will be above the gas level.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
After I cranked on my new 3.5 hp friction drive bike for fifteen minutes without it starting more than a second at a time. If finally hit me to check the gas tank. You guessed it, too dry to start. I am truly looking forward to your adapter sir. I have already picked out a 24oz diet coke bottle for the first gas tank. I also had an idea after I finish the others in the pack, I am going to wash, dry and save them, even the caps. I can fill them with gas reseal the tops and carry them on longer rides. When the tank runs dry, I can toss it and install a whole new one by just changing lids. That will be the cat's meow.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Just don't use the mtn dew bottles! They can melt for some reason (something in the gas). I used to carry cola bottles full of gas for my job weed-eating at a cemetary.

I like the idea of an adapter for soda bottles, but maybe you are missing the obvious: Coke bottles are often used as spare fuel bottles because the caps seal tightly and are reusable for a while. How about a METAL, threaded cap for this purpose?

Here is something I'm going to try out:
http://www.bikepedia.com/Images/image2.aspx?w=300&h=300&filename=WBTC1730.jpg&f=Hawley

Water Bottle Used As Spare Gas Tank ? - Page 3 - MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum