SoCal Race April 2nd at Grange

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I'm ready, my bike is as ready as it's gonna get, and hopefully it doesn't blow up before the race this time.

I'll be rolling in sometime tomorrow afternoon.

By the way, saturday is my birthday. Y'know, just in case anyone wants to get me a present. ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Bike hasn't been touched since it raced last October, fired it up today and it's running fine. I plan on leaving SD by 10:00am and will be riding the track in the afternoon.

See you all there!

dnut

Happy B-Day Baird.....I've got a special beer for you!

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Socal Motor Bicycle Racing at Grange APRIL 2nd 2016 Schedule

Gate open at 6:00am for Registration, Sign Waiver, Payment, Wrist Bands.
$10 GATE PASS for All Racers, Spectators, Pit Crew: Kids 16 and under $2
$35 RACE ENTRY FEE: 2nd RACE CLASS:FREE $5 YEARLY Membership:
$15 New track rider for track riding during morning practice and lunch hour Only.

Practice on Track: 7.00am - 9.15am We are running the track COUNTERCLOCKWISE.
Everyone off the track for RACERS MEETING in PICNIC AREA: 5 MPH SPEED LIMIT IN PITS!
9:30 -9:45 All Racers and track riders must attend Promptlly! thanks.
9:45 GROUP PHOTO'S Order Pizza, etc for Lunch from Jim Granger:

Heat ONE: #: 6 Laps + 1 warm up lap
9:55 - 10:05 (0) GoPED HARD Tire 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
10:05 - 10:15 (1) MidRange + Auto MotoPeds + eBikes
10:15 - 10:25 (2) GoPED SOFT < 45cc Tire 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
10:25 - 10:35 (3) BEGINNER (48cc - 69 cc aka "80" China Girl) + 50 cc 4 Strokes, Friction
10:35 - 10:45 (4) GoPED SOFT Tire > 45cc 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
10:45 - 10:55 (5) Novice & Expert (66cc - 69 cc aka "80" China Girl)
10:55 - 11:05 (6) GoQUAD karts 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
11:05 - 11:15 (7) 11 hp + UNLIMITED CLASS + Fast Motopeds+ eBikes

Heat TWO: #: 6 Laps + 1 warm up lap
11:20 - 11:30 (2) GoPED HARD Tire 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
11:30 - 11:40 (1) MidRange + Auto MotoPeds + eBikes
11:40 - 11:50 (2) GoPED SOFT < 45cc Tire 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
11:50 - 12:00 (3) BEGINNER (48cc - 69 cc aka "80" China Girl) + 50 cc 4 Strokes, Friction
12:00 - 12:10 (4) GoPED SOFT Tire > 45cc 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
12:10 - 12:20 (5) Novice & Expert (66cc - 69 cc aka "80" China Girl)
12:20 - 12:30 (6) GoQUAD karts 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
12:30 - 12:40 (7) 11 hp + UNLIMITED CLASS + Fast Motopeds+ eBikes

LUNCH BREAK - 1 HOUR Only! Pre-Order FULL MENU from CROSS EYED COW PIZZA
12:40 - 1:40 Practice and Cruising on the track is allowed during lunch if signed waiver

FINALS: #: 10 Laps + 1 warm up lap
1:40 - 1:50 (0) GoPED HARD Tire 6 Laps + 1 warm up lap
1:50 - 2:05 (1) MidRange + Auto MotoPeds + eBikes
2.05 - 2:25 (2) GoPED SOFT TIRE < 45cc Tire 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
2:25 - 2:45 (3) BEGINNER (48cc - 69 cc aka "80" China Girl) + 50 cc 4 Strokes, Friction
2:45 - 3:05 (4) GoPED SOFT Tire > 45cc 4 Laps + 1 warm up lap
3:05 - 3:25 (5) Intermediate (66cc - 69 cc aka "80" China
3:25 - 3:45 (6) GoQUAD karts 6 Laps + 1 warm up lap
3:45 - 4:05 (7) 11 hp + UNLIMITED CLASS + Fast Motopeds+ eBikes
4:15 - 4:30 ULTIMATE RACE on the HALF TRACK for the fastest bikes & GoPeds

5:00 pm Please Promptly come to the PRIZE CEREMONY at PICNIC AREA
THANKS FOR COMING! Next Race WILLOW SPRINGS Sat MAY 14th
Info at [email protected]
POST Your Photo's & Video's: :)
PLEASE JOIN !!! www.facebook.com/groups/SocalMotorBicycleRacing

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Thanks everyone for another awesome race!
You have 40 days until the next race at Willow Springs Kart Track on Sat May 14th.

#59 Andy Casarez finished 2nd in the Midrange class with #79 Gilbert winning for the second time in a row!

WildBill #888 3rd place Midrange class.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Okay, everyone should give me lots of crapola for blowing it and wrecking in the saturday morning practice putting myself out before the race even started. I guess I was not very prepared for this race, I didn't have much time to work on the bike before I left, I brought a box full of parts but I should have brought a 2nd rim, I have a sprocket adapter and could have easily switched it over. The wreck wasn't really a bad one or anything, just went off the track a little bit on the 3rd hairpin left turn before the straightaway, I hit my breaks but my rear rim went into a little groove in the dirt next to the cinder blocks lining the outside of that part of the track and when I tried to jump it back on the track the rim twisted in the groove. I fell to the ground but I wasn't even going 10 mph by then. I wouldn't have fallen at all but It took me a little by surprise, and I did get a small bruise on my thigh that if I was 10yrs younger probably wouldn't even notice but I was happy to have a face helmet! The rim unfortunately was not fixable in time for the race at least with my skill level. But hey, I still got to ride the track a bunch of laps before wrecking it and that's why I really went. I have never taken my bike on a racetrack before and I was just starting to really get into the turns, perhaps getting a little too aggressive and going off the track. Am I happy I went? Hel Yea! I had a great time! Am I disappointed? Hel Yea! I wanted to race!, but you gotta understand, it's very characteristic of me to make every rookie mistake one can make on things like this, haha. Anyhow, It was great to meet so many people and put a face to some of the people on this forum. Also, I was able to shake Mr Grange's hand and tell him how great I thought his track is and how nice it is of him to make it available for such events! So as you can clearly see, it was not my fault, someone else is to blame, it was circumstances that came together at that exact time and place that sealed my fate, and I am left blameless to wallow in my own sweet sweet victimhood!

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Great meeting you last weekend! :)
yep, racing can be rough on machinery, Brian aka Nashmoto one of our top longtime racers had his second race in a row being a DNF due to mechanical failures.
Don't be so down on yourself. :)
Hope that you come back for the next race at Willow Springs on sat May 14th with the usual Friday practice.

You got 39 days........

But hey, I still got to ride the track a bunch of laps before wrecking it and that's why I really went. I have never taken my bike on a racetrack before and I was just starting to really get into the turns, perhaps getting a little too aggressive and going off the track. Am I happy I went? Hel Yea! I had a great time! Am I disappointed? Hel Yea! I wanted to race!, but you gotta understand, it's very characteristic of me to make every rookie mistake one can make on things like this, haha. Anyhow, It was great to meet so many people and put a face to some of the people on this forum. Also, I was able to shake Mr Grange's hand and tell him how great I thought his track is and how nice it is of him to make it available for such events! So as you can clearly see, it was not my fault, someone else is to blame, it was circumstances that came together at that exact time and place that sealed my fate, and I am left blameless to wallow in my own sweet sweet victimhood!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Beginner China girl class that races in the half track same as the Gopeds.
More action in the corners with no long straights.

Won by Luis Baragas from DTM
2nd Kevin from Rebel Bikes in Oakland.
3rd BobbyT!!!!! Congrats.

6th place Bartok aka Felipe !!!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm ready, my bike is as ready as it's gonna get, and hopefully it doesn't blow up before the race this time.

I'll be rolling in sometime tomorrow afternoon.

By the way, saturday is my birthday. Y'know, just in case anyone wants to get me a present. ;)
Hope you had a stellar birthday Baird!

Expert and Novice China girl race.
#33 placed 2nd in the Novice class on a pretty much stock motor.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Bike hasn't been touched since it raced last October, fired it up today and it's running fine. I plan on leaving SD by 10:00am and will be riding the track in the afternoon.

See you all there!
Bike ran like the champ it is. Best sounding bike at the races!

Scotto had some good competition from Alan on his 12,000 watt moped tire clad ebike. That's 16 ebike HP flat power curve.

Unfortuneately Alan was distracted by my flagger and crashed in the final 10 lap race against Scotto on his 20 + hp bicycle. Alan had real moped tires vs Scotto's skinny $14 CST Cyclops bicycle tires.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
I had a great time. Although my bike was almost the slowest out there in the straights, and I stalled at the start of the final, I still pushed it as fast as it could go, mostly just racing for myself.

Was still a little gun-shy on the track from my crash 3 years ago, but got over it, I think.

My motor was pretty stock. Had a 14mm dellorto, stock head, no porting, and a very mild expansion chamber. I think it topped out at 35mph uphill in the straight, which was about 10mph slower than everyone else.

I was surprised to get 2nd in novice, since I finished 3rd to last in the combined class, but hey, i'll take it. :)

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes, and thanks neil for posting the results in a timely manner. ;)

And you goped guys? Seriously? Do you have to rev the crap out of your engines every 2 seconds? Sounded like a chainsaw party all day. My ears are still ringing.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I had a great time. Although my bike was almost the slowest out there in the straights, and I stalled at the start of the final, I still pushed it as fast as it could go, mostly just racing for myself.

Was still a little gun-shy on the track from my crash 3 years ago, but got over it, I think.

My motor was pretty stock. Had a 14mm dellorto, stock head, no porting, and a very mild expansion chamber. I think it topped out at 35mph uphill in the straight, which was about 10mph slower than everyone else.

I was surprised to get 2nd in novice, since I finished 3rd to last in the combined class, but hey, i'll take it. :)
Hey you were dicing it out with last races Novice winner Sander for a while.
I put you in Novice because you were running a pretty stock motor.
Unfortunately #59 Andy had another broken rear axle.

Novice class:
1st #808 Dan Kelton on his very fast 20"er
2nd #33 bairdco
3rd #108 Sander Sindell from San Francisco

I had a great time.

Thanks to everyone for the birthday wishes, and thanks neil for posting the results in a timely manner. ;)
You must of missed the posted results at:
http://www.socalmotorbicycleracing.com/race-results.html
Just change the venue and date. laff laff

Results are a pain to decipher.
My new helper had everyone right down their own # if they had one and name.......
High priority to get an official riders # list compiled.
Anyway I will get the official results posted very soon!
33 trophies given out on April 2nd.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
Just sayin', one of the biggest gripes has been not having the results posted here, on the greatest motorized bike site on the web.

For those of us who don't have/don't want/hate facebook, this is the place we go.

Gonna get some steel this week to start building my minarelli bike. Should be a midrange contender, or if I make enough extra money to buy a bunch of expensive motor upgrades, might finally have something to challenge scotto's power washer.

exokinetic

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Forest, CA
Apollo Moto Racing had another amazing weekend at the races!

Apollo Moto Rider #124 managed to snatch another heat win, but once again crashed himself out of contention in the final.

Had a great time hanging with everyone, shout out to Sander from Oakloand, and the DTM crew...

...DTM tho!

And now the good stuff!

Beginner China Girl:

Heat 2 - https://youtu.be/mIqXVVtP8rI

Novice / Expert China Girl:

Heat 1 - https://youtu.be/odpyfdjMI9Q

Heat 1 (cam on different bike) - https://youtu.be/jEIy3gMGrLE

Heat 2 - https://youtu.be/AdSoG0tNwcM

Heat 2 (cam on different bike) - https://youtu.be/7JfYdRIIkHQ

Final - https://youtu.be/wav1nfJwBJM

Final (cam on different bike) - https://youtu.be/jPlk9f1MsSE

Final (cam on another different bike) - https://youtu.be/oBJwdzrxXhQ

Midrange:

Heat ? - https://youtu.be/W-nvmfTiqm4

Final - https://youtu.be/kQG26Sz7A64

If anyone has anymore video of the Beginner and Midrange races please post em up!

And now some of those Pics we know you love...

Apollo Moto Racing, bringing the races to you!

Sean Davis
Apollo Moto Racing
https://www.facebook.com/ApolloMotoRacing/

Reactions: MotorBicycleRacing