Socal Motor Bicycle Racing @ Willow Springs May 30, 2015

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Did you guys see Nashmoto's cool video from 2 days ago? :D
Only 69 views so I guess not.....

Midrange class Final May 30th Willow Springs.

1st #59 Headtrama aka Andy (where is that guy? :) )
2nd #3 Scotto on a 4 Hp HF so also 1st in the new lower Midrange class.
3rd #98 Brian Nash by about a foooot? or so. (where is this guy? :) )
4th #97 Ryan
5th #699 James

https://youtu.be/Xt5XMJaMrU

Coulda seen it 2 days ago here.....
www.facebook.com/groups/SocalMotorBicycleRacing
Scotto looked like he was riding the pony express down the final stretch!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You guys are funny. This stuff is just for fun. Feces & giggles. A good time.

There ain't no money in this. Why do you have gopeds and mopeds and nopeds?

To pay for the track.

Because there isn't enough interest from "motorized bicyclers" to do the deed.

Amazing.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Did you guys see Nashmoto's cool video from 2 days ago? :D
Only 69 views so I guess not.....

Midrange class Final May 30th Willow Springs.

1st #59 Headtrama aka Andy (where is that guy? :) )
2nd #3 Scotto on a 4 Hp HF so also 1st in the new lower Midrange class.
3rd #98 Brian Nash by about a foooot? or so. (where is this guy? :) )
4th #97 Ryan
5th #699 James

SORRY, HAD A BAD LINK to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5iXMJaMrU

Coulda seen it 2 days ago here.....
www.facebook.com/groups/SocalMotorBicycleRacing

Arrowcycles

Feb 15, 2012
La Habra, CA
Hi folks. For what it’s worth, I do have an opinion about the message that Dave Rust posted here earlier.
I spent about an hour composing a statement, and somehow this site rejected the post. I will reluctantly try again, but I’m already drained from the original effort which has been lost.

Firstly, I want to thank Neil Senior for his efforts in promoting bicycle racing. I still will happily support his racing venue.

I believe I understand what Dave Rust is trying to convey to those who are following this post. Even though I do not have my own race team or race myself, but, like Dave, I am in the business of making parts associated with bicycle racing.

CR Machine’s support of SoCal racing is miniscule compared to the investment that Dave Rust has paid by providing race ready machines for his young racers to use in the SoCal race events.

I’m sure many you folks know what it takes to put together a competitive race bike; it’s a lot of work.

Now, some people do this as a hobby, and that is good and fine. In fact, without folks who race as a hobby, there would be no need for designers and machinists, like myself to make special parts.

So, then, there are people like myself, Dave Rust and others for whom this is also our business that our families depend on. I must say, this business is not a very lucrative one, and part of the reason that myself and others continue on is for the love of the motorized bicycle and racing.

It’s easy for me to see Dave’s point because I’m somewhat in the same boat as he is. So, I’m going to attempt to explain in my own words why I feel that his point is valid.

For the person who operates a business that is focused on the development of special parts to improve bicycle racing, the sponsorship of the racing venue can be a natural and mutually beneficial relationship. But this relationship can only be mutually beneficial, if both parties see a benefit from their efforts.

I think it’s important to remember that what Dave was asking for is not much at all: To have the race results be well advertised.

His young riders have expressed much sadness in what appears to be very little acknowledgement for their successes on the track. There may have also been some unjust disqualifications as well.

So, if the sponsored racers who score well are not acknowledged by the association, then the racers and the companies who sponsor them will eventually feel unwanted. I believe that this is how Dave and Arrow’s riders may feel at this point.

Let’s face it folks, Arrow’s team has made a huge difference in this sport and this was not achieved easily. The Arrow race team has consistently dominated bicycle racing due to immense effort. I know this and I think many others here also know this to be true.

Personally, I wish that the Arrow race team would come back to bicycle racing because it has been a dream of mine to put a real race bike together and try to catch him. I think it’s important to note that Dave actually told me that he would hook me up with a young rider if I were to finally put a competitive race bike together. This demonstrates Dave’s generosity to others in the sport and I’m sure that other people here have memories of receiving help from Dave too.

So, if the association would prefer to have companies like Arrow leave this venue, then so be it. We will then naturally find other ways to find support.
Thank you for your time.
Fred Chelminski
Thanks Fred

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey everyone: I just got an e-mail from Kingsmotorbikes:

The Racers Experience

$100 Free Parts Credit for Racers!

We want to share in your Motorized Bicycle Racing Experience!
Send us your competition photos and include the information below to get your $100 credit parts!
Don't forget to include your photo:
1. Racers name, address, and website of the closed-course you raced in. The race must have taken place on a closed-course to qualify.
2. Whether you are an amateur or professional competitor.
3. What is the name of the competition, and / or name of race team you will be part of (if known).
This promo is online only. Phone calls do not qualify.
join today, reply to this e-mail.
I'm kinda wishing I went now, haha. If anyone wants me to forward this e-mail to them contact me with a private msg.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
You guys are funny. This stuff is just for fun. Feces & giggles. A good time.

There ain't no money in this. Why do you have gopeds and mopeds and nopeds?

To pay for the track.

Because there isn't enough interest from "motorized bicyclers" to do the deed.

Amazing.
That's right, it fun, affordable Amateur racing.

Socal Motor Bicycle Racing's slogan:

Motorized Bicycle Racing is real, low buck, high fun, amateur friendly racing for the rest of us.

None of us are professional racers and the racers do not have sponsors
paying for their race bike parts.

Just a bunch of backyard mechanics having fun at a real track with trophies, bragging rights and maybe some prizes from guys like Fred at CR Machine.

Only a few rules and an overwhelmingly really good crowd that comes out to play with motors strapped onto bicycles.

The next race is on Sat October 17th at Grange Motor Circuit racing CCW
which will make Scotto happy. :)

Arrowcycles

Feb 15, 2012
La Habra, CA
That's right, it fun, affordable Amateur racing.

Socal Motor Bicycle Racing's slogan:

Motorized Bicycle Racing is real, low buck, high fun, amateur friendly racing for the rest of us.

None of us are professional racers and the racers do not have sponsors
paying for their race bike parts.

Just a bunch of backyard mechanics having fun at a real track with trophies, bragging rights and maybe some prizes from guys like Fred at CR Machine.

Only a few rules and an overwhelmingly really good crowd that comes out to play with motors strapped onto bicycles.

The next race is on Sat October 17th at Grange Motor Circuit racing CCW
which will make Scotto happy. :)
Speak for yourself Neil! You're the only unprofessional there. You need to hitchhike to the track with your duffle bag of dirty underwear and five flags. And you're wrong, there's more than me that support riders at your so called amateur race and I pay for all their parts. You just take from the rides and don't give them what they deserve for supporting your race. You're the worst promoter I have ever seen in amateur racing. JNM motors is number one. He's the only one that can prove he was even at a race. Your race is nonexistent. Racers race to read about their accomplishments, amateur or professional. Don't you understand that now little Tony #90 never seen his name for taking second place. He's an 8 year old little boy. You should be ashamed of yourself! Real nice guy you are!

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Speak for yourself Neil! You're the only unprofessional there. You need to hitchhike to the track with your duffle bag of dirty underwear and five flags. And you're wrong, there's more than me that support riders at your so called amateur race and I pay for all their parts. You just take from the rides and don't give them what they deserve for supporting your race. You're the worst promoter I have ever seen in amateur racing. JNM motors is number one. He's the only one that can prove he was even at a race. Your race is nonexistent. Racers race to read about their accomplishments, amateur or professional. Don't you understand that now little Tony #90 never seen his name for taking second place. He's an 8 year old little boy. You should be ashamed of yourself! Real nice guy you are!
LOL
Do you how ridiculous this is taking it to a personal level.
Yes it sucks Tony didn't get a chance seeing his name online for taking second. That was a big accomplishment beating almost everyone at such a young age. Instead of constantly ripping on Neil, shouldn't you post about the wonderful job Tony did in a positive way? Maybe that's something I would do. I don't know Tony but I'm proud of him for putting on an awesome performance.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Speak for yourself Neil! You're the only unprofessional there. You need to hitchhike to the track with your duffle bag of dirty underwear and five flags.
Dave, I don't wear underwear, being going commando for a very long time and I have 8 flags and two of those little clicker counters to keep count of the laps.

Sorry, but I have no interest in getting into a public mud slinging contest with you.

Like Jim Granger says after being in racing for a long time, "Pissing in the pool only makes for smelly swimming" and it is a very small pool........

Getting to the track even if I had to walk would be a priority.
I am the only one that has been at all 15 races........ :)

Dave,
All you ever post on this forum is negativity!

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Racers race to read about their accomplishments, amateur or professional. Don't you understand that now little Tony #90 never seen his name for taking second place. He's an 8 year old little boy. You should be ashamed of yourself! Real nice guy you are!
Everyone one loves Tony at the races.

Tony always gets a lot of encouragement and kudos at every race he has
been at.

Tony has been awarded trophies just for being 7 and racing even when he
didn't place at previous races.
Tony got cool stuff at every race and yes he got his first trophy for placing
2nd in the Beginner China girl class at the last race.

Sorry, but no pics have shown up from that trophy ceremony and I don't have
any photos because my photographer couldn't make it to the race.
It's hard to give out the trophies and take pics at the same time......

Anyway a Socal Motor Bicycle Racing website is a high priority where results will
be posted but I don't know how to make a website.

Anyone out there willing to help out with making a SMBR website? :)

Here's a pic from when Tony came in 5th which was posted on
www.facebook.com/MotorizedBicycleRacing for the April 2015 race.

SuperSean310

Jan 24, 2015
OC California
As a relatively new member of the motorized bicycle community and as a person who has participated in the last few races I would say that Neil is doing a good job. We can probably find things that aren't "perfect" but that's okay with me. Where else can you have a day at the track on the kind of budget that will get you to the races that Neil organizes? My experience is that there is great crowd and exciting racing. We had trouble with a 212 predator that wouldn't start and the same guys who we would be competing against were trying to help us troubleshoot, I mean how cool is that? There is a trophy ceremony where people get recognized for their efforts, after all we don't race for internet fame right? If you have any questions about the quality of the people or the integrity of the event you only have to come out and see for yourself and I think your mind will be made up! Only three months to race day, I hope to see you all there.r.ly.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I don't want to get too deep into this argument, but I do agree that it sucks not knowing the results, unless one of the racers posts something, and they obviously don't keep track of everyone.

It's one thing if you're there and see the races, but if you didn't, or couldn't, show up, the lack of coverage just makes it seem like it was a boring, uneventful race with a handful of guys goofing off at the track.

There's no way of knowing who was the fastest, who's getting faster, and who the guys to beat are.

There's a lot of people who haven't been to a race yet, who may be building bikes, who might be turned off by the seemingly lack of interest in it all.

The races are heavily promoted on the forum, well in advance, with pretty much weekly reminders of the event, times, safety requirements, etc, but then after the checkered flag drops, it's on to the next one. Maybe a "thanks for coming," if you're lucky, but no details unless the racers themselves post highlights.

Personally, I'm not as gung ho as I used to be about racing. I like to show up and hang out, get some track time, break my bikes, and party in the pits. But with less and less people showing up (arrow, piston bikes, jake, magrider, and all the others who gave it up,) I just don't have the enthusiasm for it that I used to.

The events are smaller, less competitive, and more of an excuse to get drunk and hang out then to actually race.

I've built all my bikes on a less-than-shoestring budget, with the goal of beating the fastest guys, mainly the arrow team. We may have had personal differences, but when the green flag dropped, the only thing on my mind was winning.

I used to spend weeks getting my bike ready, figuring out how to go faster and stay together, now I just wipe the dust off, pump up the tires, grab the cooler and show up. If I show up. If my friends are having a bbq, or there's a good party going on, I'd rather save my time and money and stay home.

All it takes is a little more attention to race results at the track on neil (or his "staff's") part, a half hour the next day posting it here on the race thread, and all this negativity would go away.

All the statements made by arrow, fred, and everyone else with a soapbox are valid, and it doesn't seem to hard to come up with a compromise, a solution, and a way to get everyone "back on track." Literally and figuratively.

You can take my opinions negatively if you want, but they're not meant to be.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
There may have also been some unjust disqualifications as well.

Fred Chelminski
I was going to ignore this claim but seeing that this thread is getting some attention I will respond.

I was rather puzzled when I read this claim right after it was posted because I could not remember any disqualifications so I called Fred to see what he was talking about.

The March 2015 Grange race had a first time racer, the son of Bobby who is a friend and customer of Dave Rust.
Bobby arrived late Friday with his whole family.

The son as a first time racer was in the two Beginner class 6 lap heats on Saturday morning where he was placing 2nd behind another new racer Kevo.

The Beginner China girl race class was moved from the first heat of the day at 10:15am to the third heat so I had time to get to the finish line and stop the racers to try and figure out if they belonged in the Beginner class.

Long story short I bumped the son and Kevo up to the Novice race class that races with the Expert China girl class but is scored separately with both getting trophies.

The reason to bump them up was that they were coming in 1st and 2nd in the Beginner class on very advanced motors.

Bobby's son's motor had a KX 60? type expansion chamber, Fred head, some kind of large Mikuni carb, VM 18? on a straight manifold and I presume some advanced porting.

Anyway Kevo went on to win the Novice Class race and Bobby's son was quite a ways back in the field then pulled off part way through the race and didn't finish.

I presume he wasn't happy as the whole family packed up and left the track........
So nobody got disqualified, maybe I made a bad judgement call about what class he should race in but I stand by my decision.
They could have come discuss it but they chose to leave.

The Beginner China girl class is a mix of rider experience and performance of the bike.

8 year old Tony on a fast Arrow reed valve motor is in the class but a professional racer like Jimmy Rust on a stock China girl is not.

The Beginner class is a combination of rider and bike mods.
The idea is to give new racers a class that they can be competitive in without spending a lot on parts.
However it is not a stock motor class so an expert racer does not fit in the Beginner class even on a stock bike. Of course an amateur racer can race on a stock motor and exhaust.
Oh yeah, on Friday night after coming back from eating pizza at Jim Grangers restaurant with Scotto, Brian and Gingi I saw someone riding around the closed track at about 10pm in the dark.
Yeah, it was Bobby's son with his gf side saddle and neither of them wearing helmets or signed the waiver so they were uninsured.

I chewed them out and the kid was respectful so I let it slide but you don't do that at race tracks.

Actually the kid only was in one heat because he came to the starting line of the 2nd heat with no gloves on.
He was told to go back and get his gloves and the answer to his question of "will we wait to start the race" was sorry but we can't do that so he missed that heat.

Way too long a story but his new to racing behavior had absolutely nothing to do with bumping him up a race class where he didn't do very well........

There's more to the story too but damn that's too much already and yeah I get to make almost all of the decisions on race day. :)

Nobody gets disqualified and doesn't get their trophy at the end of the race day.
There's only like 3 rules aside from the safety gear and class rules.

The Beginner class is a combination of rider and bike mods.
The idea is to give new racers a class that they can be competitive in without spending a lot on parts.
However it is not a stock motor class so an expert racer does not fit in the Beginner class even on a stock bike. Of course an amateur racer can race on a stock motor and exhaust.

You can have a fast bike with performance parts as a new racer but you can't be beating everyone. A KX 60 expansion chamber or similar pipe with other mods really does not belong in the Beginner class.

The two 6 lap heats are used to determine which class you belong in for the final race.

There aren't any restrictions on the Novice & Expert China girl classes right now that race together but they are scored separately with trophies for both classes.
It's fun affordable racing for amateur racers who are backyard mechanics.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Is it really worth it? Are you tired of all the abuse?

Why not retire and let all the complainers step up and take over. They know how it should be done, so why not let them proceed?

Pop a Corona, stuff a lime in and go soak inna hot tub - :)

Parents and children. Parents acting like children. Poor little Tony that didn't see his name anywhere. I don't think Tony cares, he had big fun!

I remember MBR asking (pleading) for help over the years. Listen to him. Lend a hand.

Or just shut up.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm also staying out of any mud slinging here, because I have great respect for both Neil for hosting these races, & for the Rust Gang for their inovation & domination of past races.

I also 'had' some resentment because the results were never posted, but I eventually learned that that's just a quirk of Neils that when the race is done he's on to the next race. (we all have our quirks).

Dave, You've made a strong point, but please let's all try to get past this & do what we personally can to help out & keep these races going... (because no one else is gonna host them).

Either get on board & help, or just walk away from it & stop posting.

I think it would be great for the racers to actually see their efforts posted for all to see. (& it will also encourage racers to attend more races). ;)

I'm officially offering to help keep track of the race results, (only the races I attend) & post them here if it will help. :)

Let's all help out & try to keep these races fun! (^)

Last edited:

Arrowcycles

Feb 15, 2012
La Habra, CA
I don't want to get too deep into this argument, but I do agree that it sucks not knowing the results, unless one of the racers posts something, and they obviously don't keep track of everyone.

It's one thing if you're there and see the races, but if you didn't, or couldn't, show up, the lack of coverage just makes it seem like it was a boring, uneventful race with a handful of guys goofing off at the track.

There's no way of knowing who was the fastest, who's getting faster, and who the guys to beat are.

There's a lot of people who haven't been to a race yet, who may be building bikes, who might be turned off by the seemingly lack of interest in it all.

The races are heavily promoted on the forum, well in advance, with pretty much weekly reminders of the event, times, safety requirements, etc, but then after the checkered flag drops, it's on to the next one. Maybe a "thanks for coming," if you're lucky, but no details unless the racers themselves post highlights.

Personally, I'm not as gung ho as I used to be about racing. I like to show up and hang out, get some track time, break my bikes, and party in the pits. But with less and less people showing up (arrow, piston bikes, jake, magrider, and all the others who gave it up,) I just don't have the enthusiasm for it that I used to.

The events are smaller, less competitive, and more of an excuse to get drunk and hang out then to actually race.

I've built all my bikes on a less-than-shoestring budget, with the goal of beating the fastest guys, mainly the arrow team. We may have had personal differences, but when the green flag dropped, the only thing on my mind was winning.

I used to spend weeks getting my bike ready, figuring out how to go faster and stay together, now I just wipe the dust off, pump up the tires, grab the cooler and show up. If I show up. If my friends are having a bbq, or there's a good party going on, I'd rather save my time and money and stay home.

All it takes is a little more attention to race results at the track on neil (or his "staff's") part, a half hour the next day posting it here on the race thread, and all this negativity would go away.

All the statements made by arrow, fred, and everyone else with a soapbox are valid, and it doesn't seem to hard to come up with a compromise, a solution, and a way to get everyone "back on track." Literally and figuratively.

You can take my opinions negatively if you want, but they're not meant to be.
thanks bairdco I'm not the only one that can see the lack of interest for the riders . he can rite a bible about protested riders like bobs kid but no results still. you duke the kid neil and the long list of companies that you just shine on what we need is bairdco to run the races and I would pay him for it I have offered it to neil but he turn up his nose. no interest in giving back to the riders I'm a voice for the riders do them rite or I'm going to shovel dirt on you and you got it coming sh.....t or get off the pot

Arrowcycles

Feb 15, 2012
La Habra, CA
Everyone one loves Tony at the races.

Tony always gets a lot of encouragement and kudos at every race he has
been at.

Tony has been awarded trophies just for being 7 and racing even when he
didn't place at previous races.
Tony got cool stuff at every race and yes he got his first trophy for placing
2nd in the Beginner China girl class at the last race.

Sorry, but no pics have shown up from that trophy ceremony and I don't have
any photos because my photographer couldn't make it to the race.
It's hard to give out the trophies and take pics at the same time......

Anyway a Socal Motor Bicycle Racing website is a high priority where results will
be posted but I don't know how to make a website.

Anyone out there willing to help out with making a SMBR website? :)

Here's a pic from when Tony came in 5th which was posted on
www.facebook.com/MotorizedBicycleRacing for the April 2015 race.

His parents said he was not doing good in school the deal I made with him was he had to get his grades up. he turned his grades around now he is doing very well now he gets to ride for arrow, and I pay for all his racing its not all about all the old farts at the track. I did offer to help with your website you turned your nose at me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
At this time, I have no desire to run another race series. I lost my ass the last time due to weather, infighting, problems with the track owners, the kart jerks who wouldn't get off the track I singlehandedly payed for, a million flat tires, etc.

I wish we could have more options available to everyone, more tracks, more prizes, more promotion, etc, but it's ultimately up to the riders.

If they don't show, it's just not worth it. I got burned left and right, lost some friends, a ton of money, time, and brain cells trying to put it all together, and nothing positive came out of it. I never wanted to compete with neil or anyone else off the track, just wanted to put on some fun races.

And they were fun. Despite all the headaches...

crmachineman

May 24, 2012
New Hampshire
YES! A website is a top priority. This thing can wither and die, or it can get boosted to become more worth while for everybody involved. I built my website using GoDaddy. I did it, and I'm not a computer person. There could be other excellent providers, but I just know GoDaddy. What I can tell you is that they are very good with customer service. Their techs will answer all you questions. They will even log into your site and walk you through each step you need to do in order to accomplish what you want. I've never had a problem getting through to the tech department. Their phone is open 24/7! I say: Let's do it!