So I went to start my engine for the first time...

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Just wanted to know if it's normal for the engine to feel like it has some resistance when it first tries to start and run. I'm guessing its cause it needs to get lubricated? What else can I check? It also seems like it doesn't want to stay idling. I've already tried adjusting the idle screw a little but it seems like I have to keep giving it a little gas to keep it running or it dies. It has an NGK plug. Suggestions?

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Did ya leave the choke open after ya started it?
Black soot on the S/P indicates a rich condition.
S/P should be a light tan brown color.

Compression will cause some resistance before the engine starts.
If there's resistance after the engine starts your clutch might need adjustment.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Make sure ya got good fuel flow, good spark and don't have a compression leak.

With a rich condition put carb needle at the second notch from the top this will make it leaner.

BTW what engine and carb ya got?

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
Hey Wrench thanks for the reply. Im in Pittsburg ca its not that cold here. I'll check and see if there's resistance with the s/p out when I get home from work tomorrow. Its just the cheap china doll motor all stock with the NT carb. I know the needle clip is on the third notch. Should I change it to the second one on break in period? How would I check for a compression leak? Thanks!

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I live in SOCAL it was a nice 75*F today
Compression gauge is the best thing to use and ya should have about 90 Lbs compression

Were just looking for a head gasket leak, before the engine gets hot feel around the cly head gasket for any air escaping.

It's OK to put the needle on the second notch from the top.
You'll be checking the S/P color later To see if your getting the carb dialed in.
If the S/P color is white or light gray then it's too lean (hot)
Normal just right S/P color will be tan light brown

Let's try the carb needle on the second notch from the top.
This lowers the carb needle making the fuel air mix leaner

Here's some info on your carb