So I bought a Pred 212

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I just bought a Pred 212 :), and it doesn't look like it'll mount to the 99cc mounting plate.

Does anyone know where I can get a mounting plate for it?

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm reusing the clairmount frame on it to see if it'll the frame will hold up.

I'll be trying the TAV, as I don't want to risk tearing up the cassette.
More parts for the build.

Disc brake wheel set
TAV
AGK disc mount sprocket 54t
Jackshaft sprocket 11t
Jackshaft to wheel ratio -->4.9
AGK header
AGK 18lb springs
NGK sparkplugs

I'll start disassembly the 99cc tonight if i'm not too tired.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Really? A clairmont?
Dude.
The 212 is a torque monster.
You might want to use something a bit better built for such a large engine capable of 50+mph...
I'm a huffy fan but not for something crazy like a 212...

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
hahahha..

Yeah, I"m a little crazy today.. Literally.. hahaha..

As far as the clairmont goes, I haven't found a decent frame to replace it yet.

So the clairmont will do for now. I"m not going full speed on it til I find a decent frame or reinforce the clairmont.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
At least gusset the heck out of the headtube and bottom bracket...
*rolls eyes but secretly understands perfectly*
That thing's gonna be unruly!

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm gonna tried to test fitted first while hunting for a frame.

I have a few candidate in mind.

slant/bixby
micargy hungtington
firmstrong chief o bruiser
or even a CCC frame if he has one laying around.

I'm still at the gathering stage though since fall/winter is practically here.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Scotto stated that the Bixby frame is a little smaller in the triangle area than the Slant frame. A preddy 99cc was a tight fit for his daily cruiser in the Bixby. Good luck fitting a 212 in a Bixby.
Just sayn'...

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto stated that the Bixby frame is a little smaller in the triangle area than the Slant frame. A preddy 99cc was a tight fit for his daily cruiser in the Bixby. Good luck fitting a 212 in a Bixby.
Just sayn'...
Here is the 212cc in the Bixby frame......the valve cover and the cylinder head can still be removed without removing the engine from the frame, just barely. That is also a 79/99cc engine mounting plate from agk.....yes it fits the 212 just fine.

Where there's a will......there's a way, just think it out and make it happen.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Scotto,
your bike still kick ass to look at :) even at this wee hour... Is this your most current setup for it? It's a tight fit even without the torque converter. Come to think of it, how does the clutch compare to the torque converter?

Anyhow,
the clairmount is a chinese made frame, and i'm thinking micargi and firmstrong are also chinese made??? So going from a schwinn clairmount to a micargi is a moot point. But if it doesn't fit than a bigger frame like a firmstrong bruiser/chief, or the Felt. In all those frames, the only steel frame that's made here is the felt, and of course a lot of members here build their own frame too.

I would love to have the skills to build my own frame, unfortunately, would have to source a frame that would work with the 212.

The motor isn't here yet for me to test fit on my frame, so I've been playing by ear and see how it goes.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Woke up this morning and found this in my living room.

getting the motor ready to test fit

and of course I'm not ready to test fit as I"m heading to work.. :-(

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Just no way the pred will fit in this frame.. LoL

I need to gain atleast 2" in the front to drop the motor down a bit.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Just checked it with everything removed from the bike. Still does not fit. I can either chop the down tube with a 90d bend and slide the motor 2" forward and it'll clear with enough room for the jackshaft setup also. I might just take it to a welding shop to have that done. But rather get a frame that'll fit to have a cleaner look.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
As I stand corrected by Scotto, :oops: I can attest that a Felt brand frame will not let you down, The last Felt frame he used (a Slant frame) took a horrible beating and had a terrible death, yet it was still in one piece. Just not the correct shape.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
As I stand corrected by Scotto, :oops: I can attest that a Felt brand frame will not let you down, The last Felt frame he used (a Slant frame) took a horrible beating and had a terrible death, yet it was still in one piece. Just not the correct shape.
It just needed a new rear triangle and a new rear wheel built after the crash....Felt made it much easier for me with a new replacement frame. The Bixby is a tad smaller than the Slant for sure.....just compare the gas tanks!

The nice thing is that I can still pull the cylinder head and/or the valve cover without removing the engine from the frame......a big plus when it comes to adjusting the valves and such.