Silverbell Artifacts/ Metal Detecting

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Just a few miles from where I grew up one of my favorite riding spots for my atv's and dirt bikes was along the Santa Cruz river near Silverbell Road and Sunset Rd.

For many years there was these three old lime kilns along Silverbell we knew them well. Many times I relieved myself in those kilms while out riding.

One day while watching the History channel I watched a show called America Unearthed. I was surprised when I realized they were talking about artifacts found here in those kilms and the wash near it.

Two of the kilms have disappeared over time and only half of one is left. Funny how thousands of times I have been to that area and never heard of any Roman artifacts.

Anyways thought I would cruise my motorized bicycle out there. Kicked a few rocks, looked under a bush or two but I did not find any artifacts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tucson_artifacts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI6JnrowG-k

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: Silverbell Artifacts

Perhaps if you had relieved yourself more often in the exact same spot it would have rinsed the soil away enough to reveal an artifact or two. :D

That's really cool that those kilns are that old and one has 1/2 survived. If you went out there with a shovel and screen and carefully dug and sifted a big hole I bet you would find somethihg. Although.... doing so may be violating a law or two. :eek:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Of course I have to wonder if the History Channel folks had any idea that they were digging up things that Dave had peed on :)

"Hey Charlie, look at what I dug up. It smells funny but I think it's Roman."

Tom

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Maybe that's why the artifacts were so rusty.
I saw that episode as well as the one about the stone inscribed in middle English at a cave entrance near Tucson.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I saw that episode as well as the one about the stone inscribed in middle English at a cave entrance near Tucson.
Read a blog about that one but have not seen the episode yet. Mustang Mountains in Sierra Vista is where that cave is. Well to me its near Elgin not sierra vista.

Don't think I have ever been to mustang mountain. That would be around a 140 mile round trip on a motorized bicycle for me.

I am not sure if any of this is true, but I will keep an open mind.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois

I'm drawing a blank on just what a lime kiln is.

But Indian artifacts wouldn't surprise me.

Roman artifacts or medieval English artifacts would flabbergast me, though.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

I was watching a show about main stream history myths.
Most all folks have been taught that Napolean Discovered the Americas and before him only the Native Americans were here.
That is far from the truth.
Roman and Nordic artifacts have been found all over the U.S.A. but the mainstream media and the educational system keeps it under wraps.

For some reason this music video seems appropriate to me here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Z3fOO5u-4&list=RDzP1_pZkJTvk

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

a lime kiln is used in production of mortar for building...

not necessarily IN the kiln, or debris piles, but a metal detector could be given a try in some selected adjoining spots... I've tried it, before. A metal detector slings over your shoulder very well when riding a motor assisted bicycle.
...MUST be aware if the place might have 'Park' status, though... Huge fines!
rc

Someone's selected spot, in the past is no problem... outhouses/privies have always been a high priority choice for those who search for lost treasures.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa

You should get an inexpensive, user-friendly metal detector.
No telling what kind of goodies you might find. Among other
things, I'm a 3rd generation prospector and amateur
archeologist. I've found things the learned pundits would
call impossible and just about every mineral in the book.
Things such as Aechulean hominid implements that predate the
oldest 'known' N. American sites by more than 100,000 yrs.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I'm drawing a blank on just what a lime kiln is.

I just now stumbled across this, BG....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWXxDxfLW2I

Short, interesting vid on lime kilns...

Metal detectors...
I'm qualified to say cheapo/ez to use models Not so good...
Instead, I would Very Highly Recommend the Tesoro Compadre.
Excellent machine built by a reputable company.

Best
rc

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa

I totally disagree. One can get a Bounty Hunter gold digger for about
$80 off Ebay that will identify anything metal with just 2 knobs, no tuning.
It a great entry level machine. After using it a while using it a while you
can pretty much tell what your on by the tone. Tesoros are a fine machine,
but why not find out if you like detecting before making that kind of investment.
For my purposes the Bounty Hunter is fine; most artifacts are iron anyway &
despite the ad videos your not gonna get rich coin shooting.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

:)

ford, chevy, dodge???

Sounds like fun!
..a trip to the races?

The family that owns and still runs Tesoro, to this day were once one of the factors behind Bounty Hunter.
They have integrity that is quite special in this modern day.

Perhaps we could walk along a beach, or across a park together, one day???

Muffler-on-a-stick simply will not compare to a Compadre.
...But wallyworld does have an excellent return policy.

Best
rc

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa

If you say so; the only real difference that I see between the
two is one costs half what the other does. BH may well have
capitalized on Tesoro technology. Integrity is a rare thing in
the business world these days, and I admire your loyalty. BH
is simply more competitive. Mine does just fine.
Of course if one wants a lot of features you can probably
pick up an old 6 knob, 5 lb. tin Whites for $50. Some folks
still swear by 'em.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Well you are too nice, Sir!
I was hopin' to pick a... race! lol

It wasn't too long ago that we had made a trip to the Great Pacific Northwest and I liked it up there... a challenge would have been a good reason to begin making plans for another journey up there!

Yes, I've heard of those fellows swearin' at their Whites machines with all the knobs and fancy displays and stuff. I can usually pull a few targets out of where they have been, using my Tesoro.

Probably the best features of Tesoro circuitry are the response time, and the subtle nuances of tone produced, which may be learned to good effect.

...But I've hijacked this nice fellows thread badly enough!
If you would like to start a thread on Metal Detecting by motor assisted bicycle when springtime comes around, I'd be glad to participate!

Best
rc
usflg

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa

Well Rusty,(do they call you that cuz you're a red head or
cuz you're old and rusted like me), I'm just finishing my 7th
crack at building a good DIY belt drive & wuz thinkin of headin'
to the southwest. It's been a while since I saw the desert
in spring bloom. Getting kinda tired of rain & all these dam trees.
It'd be nice to see a horizon that's not blue and moving.
If we wuz to race you'd have to gimme a head start. Takes
about 3 trys for me to hoist my leg over the top tube. There's
a few good gem sites twixt us & some lost mine near the old
Spanish trail. If you're in AZ there's some good ones along the
Salt river need findin'.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Took the metal detector out near where I think the crosses were found and spent a couple of hours. This is the second time I have been out here with the metal D.

Like last time did not find anything but junk and again the same. Paint can led, several nails, three bullet casings and two bullets. A auto fuse, bolt with a nut, bottle top and a piece of aluminum wire.

So much ground to cover next time I will hit the east side of the road closer to the Santa Cruz river. Maybe I'll have better luck next time.

Attachments

Last edited:

ottothump

Feb 16, 2015
Tucson AZ.

Hey saw you today going up Sunset at Camino del cerro. I got one for ya....up at cortero on the east side of the river. the old river bank witch is now where they built that baseball playground. and the south on silverbell a little way before you get to the "new" houses there. 5 yrs ago it was a construction site, then, shut down, for over a year. and I know what they found and that there is more **** there. but I need help always want to explore that are with another set a semi-trained eyes. Whatcha think.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Good luck with your quest, Dave31. I really enjoy the shows and books about things that don't fit into our accepted history. I have taken my metal detector to the beach a few times, but that is about it. Most parks and National Historic sites will not allow metal detectors.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I have a real cheap metal detector. I can find a quarter that is thrown on a lawn that is tall grass. If I use a penny not easy. A dime, you basically say good by 10 cents.

I might look for it and find a use for it, but it was not doing much as you hear about the tests I gave it.

If I had the same size iron or steel parts instead of these coins, would it have turned out different?

Better detectors for various metal make up, or alloys???

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

Hey saw you today going up Sunset at Camino del cerro. I got one for ya....up at cortero on the east side of the river. the old river bank witch is now where they built that baseball playground. and the south on silverbell a little way before you get to the "new" houses there. 5 yrs ago it was a construction site, then, shut down, for over a year. and I know what they found and that there is more **** there. but I need help always want to explore that are with another set a semi-trained eyes. Whatcha think.
Hello otto Welcome to the forum. Yeah man I am always down to hunt new areas.

I do recall a few years ago a Hohokam village was uncovered in that area. There should be villages all up and down the Santa Cruz from here to Mexico just waiting to be discovered.

wheelbender6: Good luck with your quest, Dave31. I really enjoy the shows and books about things that don't fit into our accepted history. I have taken my metal detector to the beach a few times, but that is about it. Most parks and National Historic sites will not allow metal detectors.
Thanks WheelB, I do too. I'd like to know the truth and not what our history books I read in school said.

It is difficult at times to find areas to metal detect. This area is privately owned and up for sale. I had to get permission from the land owner and as long as I do not dig huge holes and refill any holes I do make they allow me on their land.

The other side of the road is city owned property and I believe if anything is going to be found it will be on the east side of Silvebell but getting permission from the city is hopeless. It used to be all open but a few years ago they fenced it all off because of off-roaders tearing up the banks of the Santa cruz river.

MEASURE TWICE; I have a real cheap metal detector. I can find a quarter that is thrown on a lawn that is tall grass. If I use a penny not easy. A dime, you basically say good by 10 cents.

I might look for it and find a use for it, but it was not doing much as you hear about the tests I gave it.

If I had the same size iron or steel parts instead of these coins, would it have turned out different?

Better detectors for various metal make up, or alloys???
I am no expert and really don't know much about metal detectors. I used to have one years ago and I could not find anything with it.

I purchased my Ace 150 for just over $100. I've run into other guys who have $2,000 detectors and they rag on me for my "toy detector" as one called it? But I am finding the same stuff they are? And I am having fun doing it and doing it without breaking the bank.

You have to have patience, spend the hours to learn what the tones mean. And most important you just gotta go out and do it. Not going to find anything just thinking about it. You have to go out and dig, and dig and cover lots of ground. Go where the people are or where they have been and you will find stuff.