Silence.

GoldenMotor.com

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
Ive been having a lot of problems with my bike lately but this one has stumped me. My bike has completely died. The engine will not make a sound when i drop the clutch. Also when i pull the clutch in and push the button so it holds the bike wont move. It will only move if the clutch is pulled all the way in. I figure thats a simple fix just readjusting the wire but i still have no idea whats wrong with the bike. I swapped out spark plugs today and still nothing. Just silence when i drop the clutch :-||

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Some of your terminology throws me a little. When you "drop" the clutch, do you mean that you release the clutch lever and the clutch engages?

I'm guessing that your clutch cable needs to be adjusted some. Have you tried that? It should be that when the lever is released (let go of) the engine is engaged and will turn over (try to start) when you roll the bike or ride it and then let out the clutch so that it engages...
If it will not turn at all then your engine if frozen and that is not good news.

When you say you've been having a lot of problems, could you be specific about what problems?
SB

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
first, adjust cable & clutch properly - during that process you may see anything else that's wrong

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
By dropping the clutch yes i mean releasing the lever and i adjusted the clutch cable and that works fine now but the bike still wont make a sound. The wheel will roll when i release the clutch if im on it and riding(Normal) but it wont even try to turn over its just dead silent. Can you explain what you mean by "Frozen" please

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm also having trouble understanding the way you are describing this, but from what I'm getting it sounds like the clutch is adjusted and engaging when you try to push the bike or move the rear tire, but nothing when you release the clutch while riding it?

If your engine is locked up and it tries to skid to a stop when you release the clutch, yup, that's bad news...

If it does nothing when you release it while riding and just keeps on rolling like the clutch is still in it could be anything from the clutch is still adjusted way too tight to you might be missing or have sheared a half moon key on the engine sprocket, the big gear, or the smaller bevel gear.

are you running a jack shaft by any chance? if so, the only way to start the engine while rolling is by pedaling, it'll do nothing when you are coasting and let the clutch out.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Is the clutch cable sloppy I had something like this happen once, it was the clutch arm "under the carb" was jammed against the frame seat tube and wouldnt release when I let it out

So I popped it out with a tap of a wrench then a slight bending adjustment "to the clutch arm under the carb" & no problems since

I'm not saying this is your issue, but it was mine the one time I let the clutch out and nothing happened. Ive also had a motor that the clutch would hang up time and again a tap on the center flower nut and it released ..

Also make sure your chain didn't fall off :) that would make it very silent & easy to pedal as well .. don't laugh I've seen stranger things happen on here!

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If it's dead silent maybe someone stole your motor. Did you check to see it the motor is still there?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Is the clutch cable sloppy I had something like this happen once, it was the clutch arm "under the carb" was jammed against the frame seat tube and wouldnt release when I let it out

So I popped it out with a tap of a wrench then a slight bending adjustment "to the clutch arm under the carb" & no problems since

I'm not saying this is your issue, but it was mine the one time I let the clutch out and nothing happened. Ive also had a motor that the clutch would hang up time and again a tap on the center flower nut and it released ..

Also make sure your chain didn't fall off :) that would make it very silent & easy to pedal as well .. don't laugh I've seen stranger things happen on here!
that could very well be the problem or part of the problem since it's easily overlooked when writing stuff in here...

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
Sorry for taking so long to respond ill try to be as descriptive as possible. Ok so lets say everything on the bike is working fine. Clutch cable is perfect and everything. When i start riding and release the clutch my bike will continue to roll there is more resistance because the clutch lever has been released but the bike will continue to not make any noise at all. Like you know when you go to start your bike in the winter and its cold so when you first realease the clutch lever you need to pedal a little bit to get it going. Well before it gets going but after you realease the clutch lever, that noise right there. Inbetween. THATS MISSING.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow, this is a stumper.

Ex, any way you can post a video with sound? Walking the bike with the clutch out/released/engaged. If not, try doing that just enough to go through one piston cycle with the spark plug removed and your thumb or finger over the hole. If air is not pushing it off, could be piston arm.

In just text, I dunno how folks do so well, as they do at DXing stuff. A video will help a lot. If ya can.

Before your last post, I was thinking woodruff key. But dunno.

Hey! new in the package, 20mm ratcheting wrench to who ever gets this!

Contest rules, never talk about contest rules and no purchase necessary, snork.

Seriously, just found a 10mm, still in the package, while moving tools to the new shop and was gonna drop it at GoodWill. I have at least 8 of em. So who ever solves this, wins it.

Key vid; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwv3Tpltq3w (JIC)

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
"Well before it gets going but after you release the clutch lever, that noise right there. In between. THATS MISSING."

If I understand you right, maybe you should take off your clutch cover and check or adjust the flower nut. Maybe it's locking screw fell out. If it has backed off somehow the clutch could slip instead of turning over the engine (under compression) leaving you with some drag but no pukka pukka pukka sound of the piston pumping.
Check your clutch adjustment, that's my best guess.
If the connecting rod wasn't connected it should set up a racket in there if the crank is turning. I think the crank isn't turning.

Tryin to help ;)

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
I appreciate all the help guys. Sorry for my terms(lol) but ive had this bike for about a year and only started having problems with it in the past few months. Let me tell you though have the problems been flowing. Im considering just getting a whole new kit. Im definitely not going with the china girl 66cc like i got now.(any suggestions) ALSO, i will be posting a video tomorrow to show you guys what im talking about.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I appreciate all the help guys. Sorry for my terms(lol) but ive had this bike for about a year and only started having problems with it in the past few months. Let me tell you though have the problems been flowing. Im considering just getting a whole new kit. Im definitely not going with the china girl 66cc like i got now.(any suggestions) ALSO, i will be posting a video tomorrow to show you guys what im talking about.
Looking forward to the video and I understand your thinking about upgrading the engine. I went through the same thing, leaving China girls behind and moving on to better made two strokes and reliable 4 strokes. If there's room on your bike to fit a 79cc predator 4 stroke, that's the route I'd take. I've had one bike with the 79cc and my daily rider has a 99cc predator. I also had a hua sheng 49cc. All three of these four strokers start easily, run smoothly and just keep going. I don't like it when engines don't work... don't like those kinds of mysteries. I like working on a bike, but not in figuring out why it won't start. I'd suggest looking on the forum at other current 79cc predator builds for inspiration and ideas. For a stock, easily available engine the 79 has a lot going for it, including the price, regularly on sale for around a hundred bucks. If what you're looking for is a reliable source of transportation it is worth considering.

Good luck and we still want to know what is wrong with your engine.
SB

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Pull the plug.

With the clutch out the piston should move when you roll it.
If it does then it's not a clutch issue and it just won't start so we can stop wondering.

If it doesn't pull the left side clutch cover and look at the engine drive gear as you roll the bike.

You should see the shaft keyway come around with the sprocket as you roll.

If it doesn't and only the sprocket turns then it's just that woodruff key that keeps the sprocket from spinning on the shaft, this is a common failure when someone feeds chain onto that sprocket with the plug wrench counter-clockwise loosening the retaining nut leaving nothing but the tiny woodruff to carry the torque.

If they turn together then the issue is most likely the keyway on the small gear on the right side.
Do the same test.
When you roll the bike and the right side gear set spins, does the little gear stay with the keyway or not?

Note that funky little 2 part black sprocket puller with the kits will pull both sprockets.

I used to be pretty good at 'flow charts', visual is good but even text with yes/no answers in order really cuts problem solving time.

Last edited:

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
I apologize for not posting a video today. My clutch cable is too short for meto reconnect it so i need to go out tomorrow and buy another one. I will be doing that forsure tomorrow.

It is 100% not the woodruff key nor anything to do with it. I checked that all last night and its fine. Im actually starting to think its somthing as simple as the cdi. Im not sure tho. I will be posting a video asap tomorrow.

Silverbear how much different are the 4 strokes from the 2 strokes. Speed/gas mileage/ reliability/ i really appreciate your suggestion and will be looking into it tomorrow. I have a 26in beach cruiser style bike. So it fitting on there should not be a problem. Im not gonna lie tho im also a speed junkie. Right before this happened i was about to place an order of 500$ for performance parts. Luckily this happened before i did.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You will certainly find people on this forum who have had good experiences with China girl motors. Mine was mixed and I always felt like a new engine was a crap shoot. One was good right out of the box and another was junk. No one argues about they're often being poorly made and finished. To be happy with one I think takes more tinkering. I've had several of the predator 4 strokes and they all seem the same in terms of being put together well, starting easily, running smoothly. I've not had a dud and you don't hear those kinds of complaints on the forum. Instead everyone seems to agree that when you can buy one on sale for a hundred bucks you've got yourself a bargain.
The 79CC four stroke predator is physically bigger and heavier, does not rev as high, but has more torque... so speed has more to do with the rest of the drive train and your gearing. A different carburetor can really wake one up and there are now other speed components available. As for gas consumption it is not really a concern which uses more since it depends on your setup and neither one will use much gas. Really, if one gave 75 mpg and the other 100 would you really care? Maybe you would, but for me it would be far down on the list of importance. For me it is more a matter of how much fussing do I have to do keeping things running smoothly, ease of starting (I don't like pedal starting), confidence in reliability that I will get where I'm going and back home again. And then things like aesthetics... the sound of the engine & exhaust (lower and more like a motorcycle with a four stroke so to my ears more pleasant) vibration coming through the frame of the bike and to my hands (much less with the four stroke). I'm just relating my experience and preferences.

My suggestion would be to do some research here on the forum. Follow a few 79cc builds where you like the results and feel like the builder knows what he's talking about. Comparing 2 strokes with 4 strokes is like apples with oranges... both fruit, but not the same. Trying each one is a good way to determine your personal taste. Good luck to you and stay safe.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Did you check for spark?

Being lazy, I always start with the easy stuff first. Fuel, spark/electrical and air.

Last edited:

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
Im really sorry for slacking guys. Im having a lot of issues. Im trying to upload a jpeg atm and it is saying upload error. Im doing some research tonight and i may just order a new engine. We'll see. If anybody is still around ill keep you posted. Once again im sorry for the wait. :-||

Ecstasy

Oct 1, 2014
Chicago, IL
One last question for you guys. I have decided to just buy a new engine. Im also sticking with a 2 stroke. I have two options im looking at that i would appreciate if you guys could help me out with.

First, http://thatsdax.com
DAX F80 STAGE 1 Little Evil
Engine, RT Carb and 36T!

DAX 38mm Stroker Engine only with RT
Head, RT Carb with Jet kit and RT Cable,
Skirted Piston, Cleaned Exchange
ports, Full Circle Steel Crank Hand
Drilled and Balanced, 36T Steel Racing
Sprocket, Grade 8.8 upper USA Bolts. ...... It is not a complete kit but i figured that wouldnt matter since i have all of the other parts needed from my current engine. Let me know if there would be any problems. That listing goes for 238 USD shipping included.

Second, this one would be me just completely starting over.. http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1227.htm....

I know its not good to be picky in this situation but i am looking for speed and quality over everything. The only problem is i currently have 240usd in the bank acc:/

Thanks again for all your time and help, i really do appreciate it. For the amount of time i have spent riding and fixing everything it has been a blast! I look forward to riding again.

-Mike-

EDIT: I was just looking around and what about this? It looks like a good quality motor for pretty cheap with some nice upgrades http://www.pistonbikes.com/Grubee-Skyhawk-Bicycle-Motor-p/1gru66sshaf.htm

Last edited: