Sidecars?

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
sb
may see you next summer. maybe eddy will supply some cookies for our coffee.
are you telling me eddy is a hammer mechanic? lol

eddy
i`m a very big shania twain fan, really respect that lady. how far are you from timmins ont.
ron

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ron, about 2,000 miles west. I live 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean and about 20 min from the Washington border.

Yes I can make cookies. I was trained as a chef when I got out of school. Three years in h*ll as far as I'm concerned but my wives loved it.

Nothing that can't be repaired if you use the right hammer.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Wow, I just looked up when I started this side car and a year and a half have gone by. Just finished it tonight. Still need to put the Comfy Bunns Seat for Older Gentlemen on it but that is it.
Found a new use for a good heavy work bench to night. Put the battery in and tried it and it moved quite nicely. Cleaned up the tools and while sitting on it remembered the battery was on and turned it off. Screw the international signs. Things should be marked off and on. Never mind lines and circles. Thus when I turned the throttle I rapidly found a new use for the work bench.
Must have turned it off and mixing up on and off I almost made a new door into the living room or a good start on one.
If it isn't raining to much I'm off on a maiden voyage tomorrow. I'll report tommorow night and let you know how it went.

Steve.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sb

do you think the new hf greyhound bike would pull the side car "gooder ??

Ron
Hey Ron,
Yes I do. It has more power for sure, lots of low end grunt and I think I have discovered something about the Greyhound bloodlines. They may call it a 'Greyhound', but judging by it's short legs, stout body and 'grunt' I believe daddy was a bulldog. Ha!
Steve,
Good luck today riding your awesome Monark with sidecar. May it be everything you hoped. You've certainly put everything into it you could have.

Snowed all through the night and is nearly a whiteout today with more of the stuff. Enough already. I hope to be out of here in about a week, probably just in time for a snow storm in western Maryland.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The latest Atomic Zombie news letter came to my in box and it announced the death of Jim Wilson who started bikerod&custom, an on line custom bike news letter.

www.bikerodncustom.com

I often go over and see what the latest builds are and marvel at what someone can think up.
He also was the person who put the sidecar photos on a site that I gleaned a lot of my ideas from for mine.

Long story shortened when I clicked on the site for his latest edition that Atomic Zombie put up with the announcement of his passing, there was my side car build and he directed people to our site to see what I had written about the build.
Aussie Jesters bike was in this months news letter so I was in great company.

It is strange to see my bike and sidecar there and know that I can't thank the man who did it.
I left a thank you on their web site and his family will see it and know he made someones life a lot more interesting.

Steve.

Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Those really are familar,are those exersize bike pedals and crank ,.,.And the seat looks the most complicated to remake

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I thought about a side hack but I decided not to do it because I was worried about the narrowness of bike lanes and either always being on the fog line or over it riding close to traffic, too close. If I do a side hack it will be on a scooter build so I could ride in the whole lane of traffic. I would feel safer. Drivers here in Sacramento are not the best there are.

jrolli1509

Mar 12, 2011
Austin TX
Whoo ho. Anybody out there interested in doing a side car for my 22lb dog on a Kalkoff Pro-Connect pedelec. You all sound like genius'. Please, I am serious!
Austin Texas

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Well, here's another chapter in the saga of the sidecar build.
Took it out for the first run today and what a nice ride it was as far as it went which was about two blocks. All the problems I worried about were there.

First the good. My eZee geared hub motor was perfect. Powerful and able to do the job.
Didn't have anything to compare the 36V/14 amp lithium polymer battery to but I'm delighted with the power that it gave the motor and I'm glad I bought it. Doing it again I would have a 48v motor and battery.

So what's wrong?
Mounting the power wheel on the sidecar was, as I feared, not a good idea. The immense power in the battery/wheel set up caused the wheel/sidecar to turn into the bike as it tried to move it and me down the road. That's almost 300 pounds. Pedaling to start helped and once we were moving what a great ride.

As it did this it pushed the bike over into a left leaning position to the point that it was hard to steer and would only come upright when the power was let up. If I had welded solid mounts to the frame there would not have been a problem with the bike tipping but being bolted and rubber mounted they were able to move.

I think that the wheel will need to be on the back and the problem will be solved. The front mounted motor may work but I can see a lot of stress on the forks as it tries to pull the rider and sidecar along.

As of tuesday morning I will be full out to make the problems go away. What is this hobby other than a set of challenges.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Two steps forward and one back, or so it sounds. Will you be able to just switch the wheels, run wires differently and that's it? Or is there more to it than that? You're probably right about the power being better on the back wheel. What about pedaling, though? Can you mount a sprocket onto the power wheel? As Aristophanes said, "If it ain't one damned thing, it's another" ... my favorite highly literate quotation and a classic response to more crap you did not need.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Silverbear, I'll go up and get another hub motor and wheel from the people I bought this one from but for the rear. The one I have is a front wheel motor and since I'm using the stock Monark springer I can see this motor tearing it up pretty fast.

I'll use this hub wheel on my brothers build and get a rear hub motor for mine. If I have trouble with the mounts on the sidecar I'll use the Monark frame you sent me and weld hard mounts on that.
Then maybe a lighter sidecar body would help and you of all people know how much I dislike building sidecar bodies.

This body would go on the Villiers bike #2 and I'll build a lighter copy of the boat or the Zeppelin shaped one I did plans for. The Zeppelin won't be wood.

What a thought. A fresh colouring book and a new box of crayons. Be still my beating heart.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Another problem with the motor on the side car was that left hand turns were ok since the bike was able to complete the arc that it was trying to do as it traveled along.

Right hand turns were almost, if not totally, impossible because the wheel couldn't pull the bike around where as the hub motor on the rear wheel would push it in any direction.
To make right turns you have to pedal around the turn so the bike was once again going in a straight line so you could apply the power. I'm trying to turn and the the motor was trying to move me straight ahead.

Yet another dream dashed upon the rocks of ugly reality.

Steve.