side bike covers?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i want to run stealth because i live in ny.
im thinking of getting a smaller gas tank that doesnt look like a gas tank.
and i thinking of putting side covers with vent scoops over engine so you can't see a engine.
and im working on quieting the engine,maybe a long pipe extension on the muffler.
i dont need more power or speed,the bike already goes fast enough for me.
everyone please list your ideas.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Gas tank inside zippered lunch box, tank mounted on rear rack with the gas tanks petcock at seat post, inches away from carb.
Everyone always asked where my tank was.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I would really like to see somebody "hide" the engine cas i was thinking of doing the same thing. With like removable sheets of metal will vents in it. Doesn't sound like it'd be too hard..

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
.030 Lexan sheet will work nicely for side panels and that's what I plan to use on my build. Lexan is really easy stuff to work with in that you can bend it to form a radius or a sharp corner easily....it's lightweight and tough too yet you can cut it with a decent pair of scissors! From what I see you can get a 4x8 sheet of it in the US for about 30 bucks from Modern Plastics although shipping might be killer...best to look for a local supplier me thinks. One note on painting Lexan is that you have to make sure your paint has a flex agent and will bond to plastics...good idea to maybe use the Pactra Lexan specific stuff that the RC car guys use to paint their Lexan body work. Oh and if you paint the Lexan on the inside you'll have a pretty much scratch proof high shine fuel proof finish on the outside.

Cheers...

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
good idea toy, by hiding the gas tank you eliminate alot of suspicion right there. But it is the noise that always gives my ride away. I think if you want stealth your only option will be to go electric

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I was just thinking that something that thin might get caught it the wind. But just seal the front up with the frame.. leave the back open for venting.. Could hide these motors really well... I like the looks i get with a motor.. i just hate the looks from the police officers lol.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
If you can't see the motor and there's just a lunch box on the back. People hearing noise are going to think its just a loud bicycle :) lol hopefully..

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Home Depot and Lowe's both carry Lexan. Any glass and mirror shop is going to have it on hand and I am sure will work with you to cut it the way you want it.

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I'll run up to lowes and get some this week and try to make a "stealth" cover. The motor makes it cool but idk if cool is worth getting in trouble lol. Will the heat from the motor melt the lexan or am i going to need to coat it with something.

Ohio is pretty strict on these laws and i got a lecture by an officer one time for not having the reflectors.. even tho i have headlights and taillights

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Here in upstate ny,were not supposed to have any engines on a bike,gas or electric.i had a electric bike no problems from the cops or anything but it only went like 12-15mph for 5 miles and now after 5 months the batteries need replacing so i bought a gas engine kit and a cheap mountain bike instead.Im thinking of cheap plastic or metal vents from lowes for $5-$10 and no it wont melt if placed atleast 1/2inch from engine.
i'll make a v-pattern and zip tie the 2 together,plus i'll need a panel on 1 side thats opens,so i can access the pull start handle.my gas engine is not very loud compared to the traffic on the roads.Thats a good idea on the gas tank.

Last edited:

...ladies

Jan 27, 2009
Ohio
I don't really have an inch to spare. I'll probably just coat it with that performance exhaust kevlar tape on the inside.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I was just thinking that something that thin might get caught it the wind.
If you attach your panels properly you should be ok .030 Lexan is pretty stiff and if the panels are tucked up tight to the sides of the engine and maybe fastened with a bit of velcro I doubt they'll be flapping in the wind. I wouldn't seal up the front to tightly, you want as much air moving though the body work as possible or heat will become an issue real fast. Scoops or NACA type ducts might be ok...positioning them for optimal airflow over the engine might be troublesome given that they'll need to be fairly large and "IN" the airstream.

Last edited:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
i want to run stealth because i live in ny.
im thinking of getting a smaller gas tank that doesnt look like a gas tank.
and i thinking of putting side covers with vent scoops over engine so you can't see a engine.
and im working on quieting the engine,maybe a long pipe extension on the muffler.
i dont need more power or speed,the bike already goes fast enough for me.
everyone please list your ideas.
Maybe you could disguise the motor to look like a cardboard box that you're carrying, maybe put some Fedex stickers or UPS stickers on the box. Maybe put an additional small box behind the seat too, that could hide the tank. It would be super cheap and easy to make too.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
Maybe you could disguise the motor to look like a cardboard box that you're carrying, maybe put some Fedex stickers or UPS stickers on the box. Maybe put an additional small box behind the seat too, that could hide the tank. It would be super cheap and easy to make too.
we have a winner !! some fedex stickers would be awesome and could easily hide the engine using simply card board box cut out and also for the gas tank set on a bike basket in rear of bike.

Now the issue is solved , what do we do to cover the leaf blower engine noise these engines create ? LOL

Jun 25, 2008
You realise any attempt made whatsoever such as faring etc can only serve to draw more attention....have considered it myself and concluded it more prudent to stick to quiet roads and keep to a conservative 15mph whilst "ghost" pedalling...your legs generally cover up most of what can be seen engine wise.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i like the fedex idea,i bought 2 square black plastic things for $5.
if i use them,i'll put vents in them and maybe a hinge,
but that big black tank on my rear rack is a giveaway,im going to see if i can find a smaller tank and hide in something.to quiet it down im going to put a long skinny pipe on end of muffler,i bought a 1/2" copper one,but it too big.i put a basket on front for groceries.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
yea I wish we could make these engines alot quieter myself. I kinda get annoyed at the constant sound. sometimes I will just coast so i can hear my surroundings alittle . Will be curious to see a pic of your upgraded stealth machine. I bet it will look kinda odd but hey if the popo stay off ur butt it will be worth it ya know.