Shifter/Brake Cables on Top Tube

GoldenMotor.com

wrngway

Aug 21, 2008
The bike that I'm considering using has the control cables for both derailers and the rear brakes running on top of the top tube. They're also open with "no cover".

I'm thinking I'll have to relocate these to mount the gas tank. Do you all know if it might be possible to mount the tank without doing this? It would sure save a lot of trouble.

Thanks!

wrngway

Aug 21, 2008
OK...thanks! I'm still waiting on my kit, so I haven't had a close look at the mounts. I've been trying to rely on pictures I can find to see if I'll have any problem areas.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Na, Take an old cable and remove the case and cut to size, slide it onto the cable you want to protect. Bingo. Wally World sells cables for a few bucks. 6-7

wrngway

Aug 21, 2008
Na, Take an old cable and remove the case and cut to size, slide it onto the cable you want to protect. Bingo. Wally World sells cables for a few bucks. 6-7
Oddly enough I was at Walmart this afternoon and did just that! I taped the ends so it doesn't come off for now. A small section of rubber hose on top of that should help distribute the force. That should keep it from binding.

I have no idea why they used open cables in that area.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ah but it's easy as pie. The cable end is the key. If it is unraveled it is impossible to do. If in good shape but slightly kinked Gently nurse it back to round with regular pliers. When I put a new cable on I use flux and lead to hold the end before i cut it. Propane torch works best. Cut it and file to taste!