Scored a Higgins!!!

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It works! It works! IT WORKS! I don't have a picture yet but my vintage-style headlight works perfectly! I love it when I make something that comes out exactly the way I pictured it, and works precisely the way I wanted it to. Or in this case - even better than I wanted it to. With the bulb and battery pack I'm using, it's way brighter than the bullet-style LED headlight I had before. And it looks like I took it off a 1912 Thor or something. I always get pumped when I make something as rad as this.

Other news: just painting parts, and more painting parts. Primer, Red, Sealer, Gloss, etc. Multiple coats. Doing different parts in shifts.

I think we've an emote fer that lol > dance1

Defo lookin' forward to seein' a few pics of that headlight (^)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I tell ya': if you ever want to learn just how many parts are on an old bike, take it all apart piece from piece, nut from bolt, complete and total tear down, and then start painting things. I originally thought "Hey, how hard can it be - a frame, a fork, a couple fenders." No, no, no. There's also the truss rods, the brackets, the chaingards (2), and the stuff I'm adding, like the rack, and later on the tank. (Gotta remember to see how Fundreamer is doing, he said something about surgery and I'm hoping he comes through okay.) And all the parts I'm painting get a special coat of rust sealer, a couple coats of primer/surfacer with light sanding in between, at least two coats of color, and two coats of clear topcoat.

I had forgotten how time consuming this sort of thing can get. At least I've reached the stage where some parts are getting the clearcoat now. Whew! The finished bike is in sight.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I will definitely have to get a few more pictures next time around. the Higgins build is coming along somewhat quicker now, as I finish the painting and some of the fabricating. I found a picture of an old Indian that has become a sort of target to aim for, in so far as how close I can get my Higgins to look like it. The headlight will be pretty close; handlebars with cylindrical tank on top - pretty close; paint scheme - pretty close; white tires, luggage rack, leather saddle, cloth wrapped wires, old-school speedometer, etc. Just because I discovered that I can. I can do this. Having much fun over here.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I'm liking my new digital camera. I was going for a sort of before-and-after motif with these two pictures to show how far I've come along. Still need the in-frame tank, false oil tank, and false headlamp tank on the handlebars. Have to add the fenders once they are painted and the chainguard, rack, and tail lights. But here's what I have so far. I think I may lower the handlebars a little more, just for aesthetics.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thank you Allen Wrench. That is a great site. I'll be ordering from them.

How are you feeling these days?

Steve.
Ordering from them is a bit different, a bit tricky. You fill out a PDF form I think. You'll see what I mean. But they ship just as fast as some of our favorite vendors, and they stand behind their stuff, so I got no complaints.

As to how I'm feeling - pretty good. I feel ready to ride. (I also feel older and wiser.)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Allen,
Good to hear that you're mending well. The bike looks yummy. I agree the handlebars look great. Love the paint and the white tires set everything off nicely while giving that old motorcycle look. Keeps getting better...
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
They are the longest, tallest ape-hangers I could find. I got them from Custom Motored Bicycles - Home

I got the kind that arch in the middle of the uprights. I then proceded to trim off the ends that spread outward.
Allen,
That's a nice site... good prices on a number of things and everything geared toward motored bikes. I just looked over the tires and center kickstand offerings along with the handlebars... will be studying the whole offering. I think I just found a good supply source. Thanks!
SB

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen,
That's a nice site... good prices on a number of things and everything geared toward motored bikes. I just looked over the tires and center kickstand offerings along with the handlebars... will be studying the whole offering. I think I just found a good supply source. Thanks!
SB
Glad I could contribute. Everytime I tell somebody here about this site, they write back sounding happy. Wait till you see the genuine leather saddle-type, triple spring seat they have on there. And the price on it is so reasonable...well, if you look at the recent Higgins picture, I got one. And it's a lot more comfy than I though it would be. It's nice.

Well, I was pretty busy again tonight. I'm painting the fenders and the rack now. Also began fabricating the "oil tank" for my Higgins. Would you believe that, in with all the seasonal kitch they had at Goodwill, there was a little stamped-steel mailbox? Looks like it might have been a suggestion box at one time.

I marked a curve along the bottom which followed the curve of the fender, when the top of the mailbox rested against the seatpost. Then, out came the dremel. I curved the flat bottom to match the new overall curve. Later I will sand it, and prime and paint. It'll be holding the batteries to the tail lights.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
More paint, a bit of painting, and a coat or three of paint. Oh...and I've been sizing up the layout of the fuel line to leave room for the glass-bowl fuel filter I picked up at NAPA. Would you believe they had a couple right there in stock. I will always ask at the store level now, before ordering online. I didn't have to worry about shipping and I had it in my hands less than a minute later. It never hurts to ask. I had the same luck with the metal throttle mount I bought there - they had some in stock. Right there. I'm beginning to think my local NAPA stocks it all, everything NAPA carries. I haven't found anything yet that wasn't right there on the day I asked. The manager must be a real wiz, he knows if they have at least one of something when somebody comes in to ask for it - he makes money.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If they don't have it they can get it in a couple days no shiping. And if you belong to AAA you can get a discount..........Curt

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I love the headlight. Are you wiring it for LED? When does the fuel tank happen?
Thanks. The headlight housing turned out as close to perfect as I could hope. Hard to believe it was a toilet brush holder in a former life. But no LED for me. I compared the old LED headlamp from the first bike against this one which uses a Maglight bulb. I dug my old lightmeter out of my camera bag and - the Maglight's brighter! So what if it uses a little more juice, I want the bright.

Fundreamer's making my in-frame tank. I'm letting him mend some more after his surgery before I bug him again :) I've been there, he needs a bit of rest.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Was actually pretty busy tonight. As mentioned before, I rather like the way vintage motorcycles had the tank for the carbide headlamp mounted to the handlebars. So that's the setup I rigged for the Higgins. Kinda. You can't tell the difference unless you appraise these things for a living, but the tank on mine holds four AA batteries - rather stylishly. I wired it up permanently tonight and hope to take pictures tomorrow.

Am also working on an adapter bracket to mate my new "wishbone" style kickstand to my Higgins frame. Wish me luck there. The first two attempts were less than satisfactory.

Oh, and I did a little more work on the "oil tank" - which is to become my battery box for the tail lights.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
As I promised, here's a pic. I find that placing the batteries in an easily accessible cylinder tank should make maintenance (seem) easier and putting the switch on it, rather than the headlight housing, makes it VERY easy to reach right from the seat. It's a very convenient setup overall.

Now, wait till I get pics of the trunk. Crocodile textured leather, and nice leather belts and buckles to hold it to the rack.

Attachments

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Thanks for the compliments. It's been a tough road on this one. Mostly because I'm being very particular about the fit and finish of things. I've been checking and rechecking the fit of various parts and brackets and either filing or grinding until it's just right. I've got the fenders all on now, the "oil tank" will be next. I put the chains on and they could not function more smoothly or be better alligned. Much time spent there. Unfortunately, I HAVE to use the little chain guide (what some call the tensioner). If I don't, the chain'll beat the crap out of my chainstay. I played with the motor position quite a bit but there's nothing for it. I have to use the guide wheel to keep the chain off the chain stay. But both chains are alligned beautifully and it should be both easy to pedal and make very little extra work for the engine. More pics coming.

And there is certainly no backing out now: I have to have an in-frame tank. Anything else at this point would defeat the total look. It would be an insult to the bike and all my work now to mount a stock tank. I sure hope Fundreamer's mending well. He may have no clue how popular he could become if he shows good skill with his welding.

He mentioned surgery when we spoke last, and it's been a while. So for other reasons as well, I've been kinda worried. Surgery never seems to be any fun. If anybody's heard from him, let me know if he made it through okay, or if he had to go back in.

Last edited: