Schwinn Legacy w/ 49cc skyhawk. Open to all suggestions

GoldenMotor.com

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
This is my first motor bicycle (I call it "El Thunderschwinn") and I have had troubles with it from the start. Whether it's the coaster brake, or the chain not lining up, or the chain rubbing on the tire, etc. I currently run a consistant 23-25mph and I know it can go faster. I want to make this bike all it can be without spending a lot of money (if any). I am open to non permanent suggestions to do that. I am not mechanically inclined so if you have videos or pictures on what to do, that would be awesome! I thank you for any and all input. From what I have gotten from this forum is that the stock plug and wire are crud and that's a relatively cheap fix. So I am about to go to Autozone to get new ones. Thanks again and I look forward to hear from you guys soon

Attachments

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Change the spark plug cap to . I like to use a ngk one for a motorcycle. How many miles are on the motor .I wouldn't worry to much about top speed until its fully broken in.

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
I know it's over a couple hundred but I have been a little lax on keeping up with how many miles I have been riding. I need to get a speedometer/odometer.

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
Still appreciating all suggestions. What would you do to this bike if it was yours? Criticisms are more than welcome as well. Thanks again guys and take it easy.

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
Don't have the cash to spend on a carb but I think i will be doing some port work soon. I recently changed the plug and plug wire, still in need of a new boot though. I also took an idea from another guy on here and rolled up some cardboard and stuck it between the cooling fins of the motor, what a dramatic vibration difference!! I highly recommend people doing this! I did try putting sand in the handle bars and it worked for about a mile then the sand got into my throttle handle and now it's gummed up and I had to ride about 5 miles back to the house manually. Good workout though. lol. I'll post some pics soon.

Jeco

Sep 13, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You can try those small thick black fuel hose for the fins instead of those pieces of cardboard. It can take the heat, not melting or anything. Also maybe a smaller fuel filter:)

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
Nice work, was changing out the spark plug wire difficult. I don't want to screw up my Electrical box.
No, the spark plug wire is really easy to change it just unscrews from both the box and the boot. Just give it a little twist to the left (like you would if it were a screw or cap; righty tighty, lefty loosy) and keep unscrewing it until it comes out. This is of course on a Grubee Skyhawk brand and I'm not sure if that rule is universal.

You can try those small thick black fuel hose for the fins instead of those pieces of cardboard. It can take the heat, not melting or anything. Also maybe a smaller fuel filter:)
I heard about using the hose but I didn't have any extra lying around and I thought that cardboard would work just as well and for me it did. I also chose the fuel filter because it was given to me. lol. I'm so cheap.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
This may seem like a small thing, but greasing the wheel bearings (in addition to any/all other bearings) worked wonders for me. The less friction the engine has to work against, the better.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Dissassemble both axles and grease them. Do the same with your cranks and kingpost. If you can figure a way to set the power chain without the idler wheel, useing the idler wheel on the crank (right side) chain by extending that chain, do so- the power chain is more efficiant without the idler. When useing the idler on the crank chain, push it DOWN, do not PULL IT UP.
Always check your critical fasteners- they WILL come loose given half a chance. Locktight is your friend. Keep track of your rear wheel spokes, particularly on the left side. Remember your wheel is driven by those spokes, they can stretch. Be kind to your rear wheel.
I didn't notice a rear-view mirror- if that is my oversight, then you are ahead of the game. If ther are no mirrors, I suggest you get some- when your top speed is under the speed limit, you want to know what's sneaking up behind you. And headlights are a good bet should you travel at night- to the best of my knowledge, the white wire does not have the power to do you much good. buy a GOOD battery or generator head/taillight operation, one that can show you the road in total darkness. Hitting a BIG pothole at 30 mph because you had 78 nanoseconds warning really sucks. Get a DOT approved skid-lid... you are going fast enough to need it and slow enough that it might actually save your life. Past 45 mph, the helmet usually serves to identify the body by preserving (some of) the face and/or teeth...
the Old Sgt.

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
Thanks Sgt. Howard. I just took my rear hub apart and it is pretty much shot. I need to replace it and there is a bike shop down the road from me that will sell me a new rear wheel with a coaster brake for $38. If you guys think I can go cheaper here or online including shipping, please let me know. Otherwise it will be ready to be picked up within the next few days (out of stock). Thanks again and take care.

IamTheBear

Oct 6, 2010
north florida
I reworked my chain tensioner drilled out the holes for 3/8 bolts with lock washers and lock nuts then replaced the wheel with a true roller bearing cost about 25 to assembly from parts at ACE. My only fear is the metal on metal contact. I have some flat stock left over from some thing i'm gonna use to make it spring loaded. I wrecked my rear wheel also ordered a new one from BikePartsUSA i don't recomend that. Almost 3 weeks no wheel so I had to order it from the Bike shop also

Attachments

Infernobyrd

Oct 16, 2010
Ocala, FL
Got a new heavy duty chain and a new friend that bought a kit from Bikeberry. woohoo. lol. I need some shocks now so I can stand the vibrations a little bit better.