Schwinn Board Track Racer Build

GoldenMotor.com

schwinnfan

Aug 14, 2012
Arizona
So I'm new to this forum but thought I would share my recent build. I started in February 2012 and recently finished. (If you can call it finished, it seems there is always some "tweek" or "redo" or "mod" that I still would like to do.) But for the most part this is it. The bike started off as a 1969 Schwinn Racer I had hanging around my garage for the past 15 years. A real nice bicycle, but I had better plans for it. When I started the project, I really didn't have a plan as far as building a board tracker. I just wanted to add a motor to it. As I started working on the project I stumbled upon this website and the project really took off. I have been a fan of old Schwinn bicycles for some time and a motorcyclist since I was 10. I really enjoyed the old board track racer motorcycles of the teens and twenty's. I tried to mimick the look of these old bikes with this build. I would of like to post as I was building, but I got lazy with the picture management from my phone. So I decided to post pic's all at once. I hope you enjoy it.

Attachments

schwinnfan

Aug 14, 2012
Arizona
Yup...fire extinguisher. Was wondering how to build a gas tank. Made an attempt at forming one up out of 22g steel. I had a real nice design, but my attempt at welding it up was in vain. Ended up scraping it and saw the fire extinguisher hanging in my garage and thought that it would make a fine gas tank. Next thing I knew I emptied the sucker, cut the tip off, welded up the end, cut some holes...gas tank! I have posted some pics of my first attempt. Never knew welding 22g steel with a mig would be so hard. haha

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
This is a great build, very neat and clean looking. I like the vintage round tank look. It reminds me of one of the first Indian boardtrack racers. Great work! Also, it looks light, lean and sleek, I bet it's fast!

schwinnfan

Aug 14, 2012
Arizona
Ya thanks...I really wanted to go with a simple clean look. they consider the Schwinn Racer a "lightweight" Schwinn used to specify these kids of bikes as lightweight, middleweight and heavyweight usually based on tire width etc.

I really enjoy the old board tracker's and the way these guys used to race those bikes...no brakes, no throttle control, wide open with only a kill switch on a board track with a 60 degree bank...intense!

Building this bike has got me wanting to build a full sized board track replica. Just having a hard time picking which one to replicate, Indian? HD? Flying Merkel? Cyclone? Exslisior? Henderson? Oh the dilemma!!

schwinnfan

Aug 14, 2012
Arizona
As far as speed goes, the motor is mostly stock. I did put a NGK plug and cap on and opened up the intake and exhaust so both side are the same diameter. It has no problems pulling hills and getting up to speed with the stock 48 tooth sproket. As far as top speed, don't really know. When I open it up it shakes and vibrates, so i usually back off. I mounted the engine to the frame and used 1/8 rubber between the mounts. I'm sure this has to help with the vibration, but is sure could use some more somewhere. Any suggestions on reducing vibration??